How do you combat pre period sugar cravings?

Options
I feel like I can turn down chocolate or eat in moderation any time apart from when I'm due on my period. I literally turn into a chocolate monster! I just ate 12 quality street chocolates in work eeeek.
Any tips on healthy foods that also curb the cravings?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Make room in your calories for the sweets.

I have oreos on a pretty much daily basis
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Make room in your calories for the sweets.

I have oreos on a pretty much daily basis

And allow myself to eat up to my maintenance calories, if needed.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What the first two comments said!

But, also, for me making my breakfast into chocolaty oatmeal ( with cocoa powder,vanilla extract, and sweetener) does a lot for not needing more chocolate throughout the day.

Also, eating other, healthier sweet stuff (fruits) somewhat combats the cravings for sugar.

• catgirl2289
    catgirl2289 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My nuva ring gets rid of basically all pms or period symptoms its great.
  • chantellezxc
    chantellezxc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do allow myself a little dark chocolate most days but my main thing is not buying too many snacks, or I will eat them. I definitely go over the calorie limit the day before though and which should not really matter as long as I’m ok the rest of the month.
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This might be counter intuitive to having pms in the first place, but I try to exercise more before and during my period. I always feel better from the exercise and it helps with cramps, inflammation, and cravings. On the flip side, I do also always keep 72% (or higher) dark chocolate in the pantry because it is satisfying and sometimes I just cant stop the craving. Better to have less sugar and milk fat and more whole bean, imo. 😊
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I give in to the cravings and use portion control, log it, and plan it to fit in my day.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I can keep anything down the first 2 days I eat it. I’m prone to nausea and fainting so I have trouble just drinking water. I log but don’t worry the day before. And usually day 3 I go over.

On normal days that I crave I do try to eat other sweet things like fruit. I eat a chocolate granola bar everyday so I don’t get overwhelmed too often.

I don’t know how true it is, but I’ve been told that being on your period allows you to burn extra calories just like breast feeding does. I doubt it but I was told this by a school nurse almost 15 years ago.
  • slatkabundeva
    slatkabundeva Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't know really except that if you have a few bad days out of every 30, but you keep going you will still succeed with your goals. I have been so good about controlling my binge eating overall with medication, exercise, planning healthy meals etc, but period still gets me EVERY time.