Kraf Mac and Cheese

Options
Breckgirl
Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
I'm a starving student and I just bought 40 boxes of mac and cheese because they were half price. I have two things I do with boxed mac and cheese....

1. Add tuna and canned peas

2. Add diced tomatoes and browned hamburger and onions.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Replies

• bsw87
    bsw87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I add tuna and canned peas to mine also. Sometimes I throw in turkey dogs.
  • Violin11
    Violin11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try adding broccoli and diced chicken. It's something I've learned to love.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    I like it just with the hamburger you said. However with hotdogs is not that bad either but really not as healthy as you want to be. Its cheap though.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Ketchup.
  • amilynnM
    amilynnM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The Kraft Canada website has TONS of KD recipes. I haven't tried any of them yet, so couldn't tell you which ones are good. I love me some KD though.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/search/searchresults.aspx?#cm_re=1-_-1-_-NewSearch&searchtext=kraft+dinner&u2=kraft+dinner&scope=all&start=1&rsort=&scopetype=GWSKCEn-Recipes
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like it with cauliflower!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Doesn't that stuff have a ton of sodium?
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Use the cheese to sprinkle on popcorn.
    Cook the macaroni, put some evoo and garlic on it along with some fresh oregano.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    1) Ham and peas

2) Saute some chicken add some hot sauce to it, then add those chunks t the mac-n cheese for HotWing Mac 'n Cheese.

3) Hotdog chunks.

Rachel Ray makes lots of mac an cheese variants that my sister talks about. I don't know any off hand, but that would be a good place to look.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hamburger meat, canned tomatoes with chilis in them (like rotel tomatoes), chili powder, and cumin works. If unable to find that, adding hot sauce or salsa with your canned tomatoes along with the seasonings above works as well. My husband loves this combination and my aunt used to make this for me as a kid :smile: .
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Doesn't that stuff have a ton of sodium?

Probably, most processed foods do. Fortunately for me sodium has never been an issue for me.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Use the cheese to sprinkle on popcorn.
    Cook the macaroni, put some evoo and garlic on it along with some fresh oregano.

LOL! love it!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    1) Ham and peas

2) Saute some chicken add some hot sauce to it, then add those chunks t the mac-n cheese for HotWing Mac 'n Cheese.

3) Hotdog chunks.

Rachel Ray makes lots of mac an cheese variants that my sister talks about. I don't know any off hand, but that would be a good place to look.

Like the ham idea, and hot dogs are always around the house somewhere...
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Hamburger meat, canned tomatoes with chilis in them (like rotel tomatoes), chili powder, and cumin works. If unable to find that, adding hot sauce or salsa with your canned tomatoes along with the seasonings above works as well. My husband loves this combination and my aunt used to make this for me as a kid :smile: .

This is a spicey version of mine...I'll try it.
  • Faythee
    Faythee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to make what is called Mac N Stuff. It is sooooo good ! Not exactly healthy. I would use low sodium stuffing and healthy hot dogs:

Ingredients

1 pkg. box macaroni and cheese
    1 1/4 C. water
    1 C. frozen peas, thawed
    4 hotdogs sliced
    2 tbsp. butter
    2 C. Stovetop stuffing mix

Prepare macaroni and cheese as directed on package
    In a separate pan, bring water, peas, hotdogs, and butter to a boil
    Stir in stuffing mix, cover. Let stand 5 minutes
    Stir in macaroni and cheese
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    When I make mine, I don't use milk at all but I use "I can't believe it's not butter light" and it works out just as well, and a bit lighter in calories.

Ground turkey, canned tomatoes, hot sauce and chili beans or black beans.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Personally, at this point in my life I would donate them all to the food bank, but I understand the starving student thing. I used to live on top ramen and PB&J. You could also get some canned chicken or better yet a cooked rotisserie chicken at the supermarket to mix in. Potatos are really inexpensive, go with a sweet potato (more flavor and better nutrients) to have with some of the left over chicken. Grab some broccoli, it nukes well and you can also eat it raw for a snack. Since you are eating a college diet, I hope you are taking a good multi-vitamin as well. Of course, I am assuming that you have a microwave and a fridge and are not totally relying on a hotpot to cook your mac&cheese in!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I used to make what is called Mac N Stuff. It is sooooo good ! Not exactly healthy. I would use low sodium stuffing and healthy hot dogs:

Ingredients

1 pkg. box macaroni and cheese
    1 1/4 C. water
    1 C. frozen peas, thawed
    4 hotdogs sliced
    2 tbsp. butter
    2 C. Stovetop stuffing mix

Prepare macaroni and cheese as directed on package
    In a separate pan, bring water, peas, hotdogs, and butter to a boil
    Stir in stuffing mix, cover. Let stand 5 minutes
    Stir in macaroni and cheese

This sounds reaally good. You could skinny it up some. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks!