Did anyone stop losing weight because of loose skin?

Options
I just undressed in front of the mirror. Something I never do. I don't leave any full length mirrors out all day. It's hidden down the side of the wardrobe!
But, although I feel proud of myself, Im feeling like should I keep going?
Since having my 4th child almost 6 years ago, I have lost 77lb. This is my 5th time losing this much weight. I lost it before having kids in my 20s, then with each child I gained it back on. The exact same amount. I never go above 252lb (18stone). Now I have just gone below the weight that I always get stuck at which is 180lb. I'm now 175lb. I'm so pleased with myself. But the skin - prepregnancy belly, and my thighs 🙈 now I'm thinking should I keep going, will I look even worse, will I feel worse.
Actually I still feel 252lb.
Surgery isn't an option.
I wanted to get to around 155lb (11stone). Maybe I should aim for higher..

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Maybe take it slow and see where it goes? I'm eating to lose .5 lb/week. That's barely a deficit (and it means really slow loss). But this way, I'm eating close to how I will in maintenance, and I don't have to think about it much. I log my calories, I do something active every day. I'm working on not worrying about my belly (3 pregnancies, 3 10 pound babies). I'm perimenopause, my body isn't going to look like it did the last time I was at my goal weight.

Losing slowly will give your skin time to rebound too. I don't know personally, but I have heard that it can take a long time for loose skin to bounce back a bit. Take your time. You probably won't look or feel worse. Your brain needs time to catch up too.

Another thought-don't "aim" for a weight. Weigh and log your food. Stay on a sustainable track. See what happens. You might be happy and healthy at a higher weight (165-ish) for a while.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of loose skin still holding a layer of fat, and I have places the skin has shrunk to mere wrinkles. This is after losing 55 lbs over 2 years. I'm just going to keep going and see what happens over time. I'll give it at least a couple of years at goal weight to see what happens. If I feel I need surgery after that, I'll look into it. I've started a fund to save money for that surgery if I ever need it. But if I don't, then I'll have some really nice vacations in my future. I'd say get to a weight you feel is healthy for you and then give your skin time to respond, but don't stop losing unless you get to a weight where you and your doctor agree you are healthy enough to have significantly reduced weight-related risk factors for cancer, diabetes, and other such things.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Go to the stickies section in "General Health and fitness" and read the thread "Honest Opinions on Loose Skin." It might give you some perspective.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I have loose skin. And havent had kids.I honestly am ok with the skin. I didn't look great naked before, at least now I look good in clothes 😂 I wear workout clothes that have compression. It makes me feel much better!
    Ive lost 100lbs- I'll take loose skin over the fat anyday. You have to do what feels right for you