How long should I calorie zig zag?

Options
I have a question from someone more "in the know" than me...

I had been on a plateau for about 2 months... so I decided to calorie zig zag... I LOVE it! I was able to finally get past 180! YAY! My question is however, do I keep up with the zig zagging or go back to normal? Is it only for breaking plateaus or can I keep doing the zig zag and still lose weight?

Replies

• Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have a question from someone more "in the know" than me...

I had been on a plateau for about 2 months... so I decided to calorie zig zag... I LOVE it! I was able to finally get past 180! YAY! My question is however, do I keep up with the zig zagging or go back to normal? Is it only for breaking plateaus or can I keep doing the zig zag and still lose weight?

bump
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrisc16
    Options
    Once you get past your plateau, I would continue on with the calorie deficit as usual. If you stall out again, zig zag.

This site has some no nonsense info: http://www.theloseweightdiet.com/
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I say as long as you're losing keep at it. I zig zag, but stay under total calorie goal. I make sure I net a minimum of 1200 calories a day, sometimes I eat all of my exercise calories back usually I don't. HTH
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I dont know any official answer but if its working then I'd stick with it! I am doing carb cycling and just keep changing things up so not to get in any habit my body will used to and revolt and not lose any weight!!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I'm not really more "in the know". I've found it works for me but haven't researched the science behind it.

When I first started I couldn't do more than 2-3 day in a row at 1200 cal.
    So i figured out what my maintenance calories were to maintain my GOAL WEIGHT (1600) and my CURRENT WEIGHT (this changes as your weight changes, remember to keep checking it).

I'd do 2-3 days at 1200 then a day at 1600... I figured as long as I didn't go above Maintain my CURRENT WEIGHT I'd still be losing weight.

Now that I'm getting closer to my goal I went to lose 1/2 lb per week and my range is getting smaller. (1400 -1600)
    I'm trying to figure out how to find a range that will work for MAINTENANCE.... because I know I can't hit the exact same number everyday.
  • MDiG516
    Options
    Do you calorie zig zag based on your net calories or total calories consumed?

I am looking into doing this and I am supposed to net 1200/day. I work out 4x a week (burning about 300-400 cals using a HRM) and the other 3 days I work as a floor nurse, so I worry if I go below a net 1200 I could effect my metabolism.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    ...I make sure I net a minimum of 1200 calories a day...

me too
  • KnightsGal76
    KnightsGal76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Do you calorie zig zag based on your net calories or total calories consumed?

I am looking into doing this and I am supposed to net 1200/day. I work out 4x a week (burning about 300-400 cals using a HRM) and the other 3 days I work as a floor nurse, so I worry if I go below a net 1200 I could effect my metabolism.

I used this site http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to figure out what I needed to do for the calories. It seems to work and has been recommended many times here on MFP
  • lorettatat
    Options
    Bump