The Legend of Gym Girl

Options
dragonbug300
dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
Once there was a college student called Gym Girl. Gym Girl was very, very active. She had a tendency to over-eat on random snack foods while studying, then head to the gym late at night for some weights and/or cardio action. She did this about 5-6 days a week. She also taught yoga classes at that gym twice a week.
One day her friend told her that she was known by his dorm mates as "Always-at-the-gym-girl". She rolled her eyes and laughed along side him at first, but he continued to bring it up for days. Eventually she asked what he found so amusing about it.
Her friend responded, "Those guys don't always go to the gym, but when they do you're always there. They like to stare at Always-at-the-gym-girl. She's some kind of enigma in their minds. And they say the nickname like you're some kind of legend!"
This shocked her. After all, Gym Girl would go in wearing an over-sized t-shirt and shorts (nothing revealing at all), and usually left with a cherry-red face and sweat stains. The thought of someone staring at her as she sweated and turned red was horrific. After that, Gym Girl became very wary of the gym. She started to procrastinate and worry who was watching her workout when she did go. She started to feel humiliated every time she walked through the doors.

What should Gym Girl do about this new development? Should she go to the gym at different times? Should she avoid her favorite machines? Or should she ignore the stares and keep doing her workouts?

Replies

• 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Or should she ignore the stares and keep doing her workouts?

/\/\THIS/\/\
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ignore the stares and keep doing your workouts. Probably just jealous! Show then what you are made of and keep it up!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I say take YOUR life in YOUR hands and do YOUR thing!

:smokin: never mind what other people say, you'll live a happier life when you do!
  • decooper
    decooper Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ignore and do what you love. Do what works for you.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    They stare because you are adorable. I say wear your cape from now on Gym Girl!
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't see why this is a bad thing...?

That's a great thing to be known for. Better than "always-at-the-nacho-bar" girl, right?
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing. Thereis nothing wrong about going to the gym infact you might meet someone there with the same goal as you. I'd make friends with them instead! These other people that call you Gym Girl are immature. Give them 20 years and see how they look. :wink:
  • countryfatgirl
    countryfatgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There will be 2 of us getting stares..LOL... I am starting back tomorrow... I don't care what people think... It is all about me.... It is all about you... If you enjoy it to heck with anyone else.... Think of your self... This is one time we are allowed to be selfish.... Hang in there gym girl........ we can and will do this.....
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I think that this is going to be only one of MANY times Gym Girl has people look/stare/talk behind her back and she needs to decide if the thoughts/actions/comments of others are going to prevent her from becoming all she can be or if she's going to realize there's all kinds of people in the world and dealing with nimcumpoops is part of growing up.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    keep doing your thing......there are much worse things to be known for......
    personally the stares are what keeps me coming back !
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I would take this as a compliment and they are impressed you are always at the gym. Let them watch maybe you will inspire them to go more.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I don't see why this is a bad thing...?

That's a great thing to be known for. Better than "always-at-the-nacho-bar" girl, right?

Haha! This be the truth! But it feels kind of demeaning. I suppose I feel judged more than anything. I mean, there's nothing fascinating about someone doing the elliptical for an hour.
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    There is probably a small group of people with nothing better to do than nickname people. If you go back for a reunion and that is what they remember about you is that you were always at the Gym, Good. You should keep doing what you are doing and ignore them. They will move on to label someone eilse, so why change your routine for them.

As someone else said, maybe it's a compliment. You are admired on MFP and apparently at your gym :)
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    IGNORE! While I don't talk about this with anyone else (mainly because I go to the gym alone), I do notice the people that always seem to be there at the same time I am. All of them I admire and there are some that I can't help stealing glances at from time to time just because I love their body or what they are doing. Maybe that makes me weird, but there you have it.

While I think it's a little strange that your friend brought it up to you multiple times, don't miss a beat going to the gym and doing YOUR thing. :D After all, aren't we all there for really the same reason...?
  • Metalhead187
    Options
    They are just jealous because your dedicated and your owning them, ignore the derp faces and keep working out! after all you are doing this for yourself not them! :D Go gym girl! I wish I have a sweet nickname like you lol.
  • Jess21684
    Jess21684 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    you should think of that as a good thing! the fact that they notice how much your there shows how much effort your putting forth!! Im ALWAYS at the gym as well!!! Usually, everytime I go the same guys are there and they are prob thinking the same thing about me lol! One of the best compliments ive ever gotten was a guy that walked up to me while I was on the treadmil and asked if I was training for anything. I said nope, just getting into shape and he looked at me like I was crazy and said well you already are! He said Im always in there and I was the most dedicated person he ever see's in the gym! that to me, is a HUGE compliment!! your doing awesome and dont let the fact that people are staring at you, intimate you. I say STRUT YOUR STUFF =)
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Be flattered and continue to go, and maybe notice someone else who is always at the gym, and give that person a friendly thumbs up! Good job, I think you should be encouraged!