Diet in your 60's.

Options
Do you think it gets harder to lose weight as you get in your 60's.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    No. I lost 50+ pounds in just under a year at age 59-60, and have lost a few vanity pounds in the past year (intentionally very slowly) at 64-65.

The average person has habits that decrease daily life movement as s/he gets older, and loses muscle mass if s/he does nothing to keep/improve it. That creates a negative spiral: Less active, less fit, lower calorie needs, increased weight . . . increases tendency to be less active still.

Any of those things are in our control. If we find a way to change them, we change.

At our age, we may have better skills at patient progress, and we know our own strengths and limitations well (we know how to work with them). Those insights can be helpful for health and fitness progress.

Age makes an easy excuse, in some cases. That's a choice, IMO, not a truth.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    In my 20's, I fretted over 5 or 10 pounds which easily came off every spring without even trying, as I amped up my outdoor activities. In my 60's, I have to be more diligent and track the calories in and out, but it still happens, slowly. I am sure my metabolism is not what it was at 20, or at 40 when my thyroid went kaput but the Math doesn't change because we got older or our metabolism slowed.
  • junedave3
    junedave3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thankyou to everyone who replied to my question .its helped me a lot so much so that i will be starting jogging tomorrow.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread, but think it's relevant here:

https://www.trainwithjoanofficial.com/
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I just turned 70 and had no problem losing 40#s in my 60's and continuing to main that wtloss now.

The key to wt loss is cal control (CI<CO) wc is the same requirement regardless of your age.

While exercise will increase CO, the main reason to exercise is for fitness NOT to increase the cals expended.

@sgt1372 I disagree that these are absolutes. A calorie burned is equal to one not eaten. The key to weight loss is the balance between CI and CO. A person can decide to balance it either way.

For me personally, I find it MUCH easier to live a normal life and lose weight with exercise. If I were relegated to a sedentary budget to lose weight I would be miserable. As a highly active 54 year old, I can eat close to 2000 calories per week and lose 1.5 lbs per week. If I were sedentary I would have to eat 1252 calories per day to lose 1.5 lbs per week. The CO part of my equation is the most important part.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    junedave3 wrote: »
    Thankyou to everyone who replied to my question .its helped me a lot so much so that i will be starting jogging tomorrow.

Keep in mind what you do in the kitchen is a far bigger driver for weight loss, which is a huge part of why age isn't a barrier to weight loss.
    I'd suggest that keeping exercise as being for health/fitness/enjoyment. Plus as we age keeping our everyday capabilities as long as we possibly can. One of my over-arching goals is to have as many good years as possible.

I do agree with @FitAgainBy55 that boosting your overal calorie allowance with exercise makes sustaining a calorie deficit easier. I'd feel very restricted taking 500cals off my sedentary allowance but it's far easier to take the same number off my very active and high exercise volume allowance.