Calorie Deficit

Hi, I think I am very confused about what calorie deficit is, I understand that for my weight and height and wanting to lose 1lb per week I should be having 1200 per day. Fitbit advises a 500 calorie deficit to get this weight loss. Does this mean I should only be eating 700 calories a day. This seems very low to me. Perhaps someone could explain if this is right. Many thanks

Replies

• ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    The defect is the difference between what you burn in a normal day - basically the energy you need to exist and move and the amount of food required to provide that energy, less the defecit, which needs to come from fat stores.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Iow, the fat you need to burn off, so don't eat so much that you don't burn it off!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,029 Member
    If MFP is what has given you the goal of 1200 to lose a pound a week, it thinks you'd need to eat 1700 calories daily in order to stay at your current weight, i.e., the goal includes the 500-calorie deficit. Even 1200 is quite a low calorie goal, and is the least MFP will suggest for a woman. Don't eat lots less than that!

Keep in mind that if you followed the set-up instructions, and set your activity level in your MFP profile based on activity *not* including intentional exercise, it intends that you should eat 1200 calories *plus* your exercise calories, on days when you exercise.