What’s your strength training routine look like?

As the title implies... what’s it look like? Whether you use equipment, body weight only, or a mix. Let’s hear it!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Basic full body workout 2x per week...squats (squat variations), deadlifts (deadlift variations), Bench (incline one day regular the other), various rows (barbell, cable, 3 pt, etc), OH press, Lat pulls or pull-ups, some isolation stuff if I have time or the inclination.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    It's created by my powerlifting coach. 3x week is a mix of SBD, the other two days are more accessory-ish.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Chest and Tri (heavy weights), Back and Biceps (heavy), swim day, Chest and Triceps (high rep), back and Biceps (high rep), swim day
    Been working for me since October.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Full body 3 days. Cardio 3 days. Rest 1 day.

Mon: Heavy 5x5
    Wed: Light 3x12 (unilateral)
    Fri: Medium 4x8
    Squat, BP, Row, RDL, DL, Hip Thrust, Core-specific, Abduction

Tues, Thurs, Sun: Cardio (body weight circuits/tennis/elliptical/walk/run...)

Sat: Rest

I did the above program last month to see what kind of training I liked best. The volume was similar on each day (light day was bilateral barbell too). I added 5 pounds each week. I found that I liked heavy and medium days best. This month I am changing the light day to be single arm and single leg movements mostly with dumbbells. I am also including the Turkish Get Up for the Core-specific. Volume is a fraction of heavy and medium days but it doesn’t mean it’s easier.

The lifting days didn’t give me amazing power or endurance but I did get a push. I felt some strength, but nothing like the SL5x5-super-hero-power. A little more endurance too but nothing to brag about. My method was a continuous pace—not explosive or slow.

• NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    Day 1 Chest/Biceps, Day2 Back, Day 3 Shoulders Triceps, Day 4 Legs - Low volume but to failure- I am looking for a new workout routine- any suggestions???
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited March 2021
    I do full body twice a week, very similar to stronglifts 5x5:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    OHP 5x5
    Deadlifts (stronglifts says 1x5, I do 3x4-5 or 4x4)
    Pullups(instead of rows)
    Hip thrusts (not in stronglifts)
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I just do sydney cummings workouts daily and my strength is sooo much better and y muscles are growing and toning!
    LORD JESUS bless have a good week 💟
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I'm following a template in the Glute Lab book and I'm doing a Daily Undulating Periodization (DUP) program where I change out 2 focus lifts every 4-6 weeks. Right now my focus lifts are deadlifts and military presses (last month was hip thrusts/bench press). So I do 3 total body days with deads and MP's always at the start of the workout, with varying weight/rep schemes and focusing on increasing weight/reps with those and eventually looking to achieve personal bests with those at the end of the phase. I then always include a form of squat or lunge, hip thrust, chin up and/or back compound exercise, bench press, hamstring and/or other glute accessory exercise and an upper body and/or calf accessory work. These exercises vary depending on the day, but I make sure to include the other main compound lifts to maintain those (squats, hip thrusts, lunges, bench presses, chin ups). I do about 7-8 exercises per session.

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Right now doing a 4-day upper lower split with minimal assistance work:

Day 1 - press, db bench, chins
    Day 2 - deadlift, db squat
    Day 3 - bench, db press, chins
    Day 4 - squat, ab wheel

Reps on the main lifts are a top set of 5 with backoff sets of 8. Assistance are 3x10.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I lift 5 days a week: upper, lower, rest, pull, legs, push, rest. From meso to meso I mostly keep my key lifts, squat, CDLs and bench, which I use primarily to increase strength, so lower reps, heavier weight. Everything else is for hypertrophy. I tweak the other exercises depending on what I want to focus on. This meso I'm focusing on biceps, for example, so I tend to have an extra set of biceps on appropriate days.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    When gyms are open I follow a lower upper legs push pull programme by Eric helms.
    Gyms still shut in uk so I’m kinda winging it at home with adjustable dumbbells and resistance bands. Fingers crossed I haven’t lost muscle,idk.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2021
    I have a terrible right knee (we're talking garbage) and, unfortunately, not a great back. But I enjoy lifting and do what I can do.

I have a Total Gym (I like it for warmups and for assisted pistol squats -- it's also great for assisted pullups and arm work), Adjustable dumbbells, a Nike type of portable bench, heavy KBs, a Power Tower, a Plyo Box and heavy ropes.

I'm currently doing a full body workout 2X a week. Lots of pushups using the Plyo Box (with feet elevated), Slam balls (up to 40 lbs), step ups with up to around 50 lbs (onto the Plyo Box), lots of wide, weighted lunges, assisted pistol squats, box jumps and whatever else I feel like doing. Oh, and also love bridges with the feet on the Plyo Box. I'm finding I don't use the Power Tower as much as I expected yet -- mostly for dips and ab work right now more than pullups. Right now I'm mostly using the portable bench for pressups/shoulder work. You can lift the back for seated presses.

I want to put a ring in for TRX, gymnastic rings and an Endless Rope (my favorite for both shoulders and cardio at the same time).
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I have two cycles, one using mostly body weight and one using free weights. I usually alternate about every month or so, depending on my mood, how my body feels and/or how much I want to go to the gym (because my body weight workout I could do at home if I feel up to it).

Body weight workouts 3 or 4 workouts spaced out over the week
    1 - chest (lots of pushups alternating hand position, incline decline etc)
    2- back - lots of chinups, pullups, alternating grip)
    3 - legs - lots of squats and lunges
    4- shoulder - 3 main exercises with free weights.. overhead press, lat flys and upright row

Free weights
    1- chest - bench press, barbell press, chest flys or pec deck machine
    2 - back - row (with machine or free weights, chinups/pullups, pulldowns, reverse pec deck machine or with free weights)
    3- legs - machines and squats
    4- shoulder (same as above)
  • FPlanner2021
    FPlanner2021 Posts: 44 Member
    Waiting on my rack to come in before restarting my 5x5 program, progressing weight.
    M: Squat, Bench, Row : all 5x5
    W: Squat, OH Press, Deadlift : S and O 5x5, DL 1x5
    F: Squat, Bench, Row : all 5 x 5
    T/W: cardio, 40 recumbent bike
    S/S: rest
    * looking at potentially adding accessory exercises like planks, hanging knees, bicep curls, chin ups.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I train everyday of the week, but no more than 30-45 mins max.

M-shoulders
    T- chest
    W- back
    Th- biceps
    F- triceps
    S- quads
    S- hamstrings

Abs daily (10min) and cardio (depending if I'm working or not) 90 mins to 180 mins per day

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

M-shoulders
    T- chest
    W- back
    Th- biceps
    F- triceps
    S- quads
    S- hamstrings

Abs daily (10min) and cardio (depending if I'm working or not) 90 mins to 180 mins per day

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

is that what the kids call a bro split? im new to this
  • anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    4 day upper-lower split for me

monday - upper
    tuesday - lower
    wed - cardio
    thurs - upper
    friday - lower
    saturday - 'diddly squats'
    sunday - see saturday
  • 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    anna_lowe wrote: »

M-shoulders
    T- chest
    W- back
    Th- biceps
    F- triceps
    S- quads
    S- hamstrings

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes... that's a type of bro split.

I change my routine every 10-12 weeks, but for now I[m doing upper body 3x a week, and love body / abs 2x a week. With some form of Cardio 5x a wk. (30min)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    anna_lowe wrote: »

M-shoulders
    T- chest
    W- back
    Th- biceps
    F- triceps
    S- quads
    S- hamstrings

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not likely because I DON'T train that body part again till a week later. Most splits for people are done 2x a week.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Sportertje354
    Sportertje354 Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2021
    Trying to be creative and optimistic during corona lockdown without going broke building a complete fitness center at home lolz

Lately multiple days a week 60 push ups, 60 squats, 30 crunches, en 30 side crunches per side

Recently bought rings and coming time figuring out how to build that into workouts

That's besides things like kickboxing (from home), (indoor) cycling, and jumprope