Menopausal weight gain

Options
I am just starting a false menopause from cancer treatment, any hints and tips on dealing with the weight issue and also the hot flushes. Thanks.
:tongue: :tongue:

Replies

• DrHDLM
    DrHDLM Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, first of all, why is it a false menopause?
    Menopause is the lowering of estrogen in a women body, so if you got your ovaries removed, is not false...

Talk to your doctor and ask for pills that are Estrogen like hormones that will help you prevent osteoporosis, weight gain, hot flashes and because they're not estrogen, they're estrogen like, you wont increase your chances of getting breast cancer.

Sorry to hear that you have to fight this fight, but the important thing is that you're trying and you can overcome this thing.
    Eat healthy, get all the antioxidants you can by natural ways. exercise and don't leave your treatment.

Good luck!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, the menopause! I'm struggling with the weight thing too. My guess is that because we lose muscle mass with the menopause, the metabolism slows down, so I'm working hard on weight training to try to redress the balance (as well as counting calories). The hot flushes vary enormously between women. I know people who only have them once in a blue moon, wheras mine were bad - coming every 30 minutes or so, and very full-on. As a teacher of young adults, it was excrutiating to be having them in front of my classes all the time. Although I had wanted to deal with them without resorting to chemical intervention, it got to be unbearable, so I asked for HRT. There are risks, but within days I felt my quality of life had improved hugely. I've been on it for almost 2 years now, and don't regret the decision. Don't know if you would be able to take it, but certainly worth discussing the Estrogen idea with a doctor if you are really suffering. Natural alternatives do work for many people, of course. Whatever you decide, very good luck. It would be good to hear how you are getting on.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I also was put into menopause in my 40s. On my 60th birthday I was in the best shape of my life (I've slipped by 12 pounds and but hope to be back at 62) and feel great.
    I chose not to do HRT because at the time the estrogen came from pregnant mares--I own a mare and knew what happened to the horses and foals in Canada and just couldn't. I believe that may have changed now.
    The night sweats and hot flashes were horrible but did finally end. It is harder to keep weight off than in my 30s and I don't relate to people who want that rockin bikini bod. I just want to be lead an active, healthy and functional life.
    Talk to your doctor about your options....just keep singing: I AM WOMAN...I AM STRONG!!!!
  • ladytj2003
    ladytj2003 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I am on Tamoxifen for 5 years and because of my age have been told there is a chance that I may start my periods again afterwards, so my doc referred to this as a 'false menopause'. I still have my ovaries etc.
  • sweatymary
    sweatymary Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm going through the menopause too and have put on a massive amount of weight, battled hot flushes and a lot of other menopausal symptoms too.

For several months I have been doing a massive amount of research to find the best ways to overcome symptoms of the menopause as I found my Doctor only had one answer ... HRT... and although there is a very slight increased risk of breast cancer the thought of adding horse estrogen to my already confused body put me right off the idea.

Two ideas to help combat hot flushes, which seem to be achieving approx. 75% success rate, are accupuncture and massage therapy. These two treatments target 'trigger' points on the body (mainly hands and feet) that can help combat what I call 'boil in the bag head' ... my hot flushes have driven me to the edge of sanity on occasions :-) Now I rarely get any and if I do they are very mild and I can cope with them.

I'm going to be writing a blog about my findings very soon, and if you would like to add me as a friend I will keep you up to date with my research and any tips that might help.

Just remember ... I AM STRONG ... I AM INVINCIBLE ... I AM WOMAN :-D
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have been told recently that I am in Peri-menopause. I seem to have all the symptoms other than the hot flushes!

It has made my weight loss very slow but it is still a loss. I am happy with it going slow as I don't want to leave myself at risk of things like osteoporosis, I have also found that it is easier to improve my fitness on a smaller calorie deficit.

It took me over 20 years to get fat so it is going to take a lot longer than a few months to turn that around. So far I have been changing my life for 2 1/2 years and it is still a work in progress.

I have started taking Menopace which is a vitamin supplement and it has eased some of the symptoms.
  • janecall
    janecall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new here and I to have been in meopause for a few years. Last year I went to a hormone clinic for natural hormones. I was on pill from the doctor and had requested that I get sent there. My doctor admitted what she new about menopause and horones could fit on the heard of a pin. I would think a lot of doctors are like that. If you can get to a hormone clinic and get on natural ones it is the best thing, saved me big time. I was not sleeping and hot flashes were constant. Now I sleep all night and have not had a hot flash in I don't know how long. It takes about six months to get the dose right but it is worth it. Read Susanne Somnmers books they were a big help in understanding everything.
  • PlumLovin
    Options
    I recently had a complete hysterectomy and have found that soy supplements have really helped with my hot flashes. I will be starting estrogen in October so not sure how things will be after that.....Hopefully much better b/c as of now I am a mean, moody girl w/a 20lb weight gain!!! I have been shocked at how hard it seems to be to lose weight, I used to be able to just cut back a little & could lose but now a days I am working out like crazy, watching what I eat & still only see 1 pound weightloss if I'm lucky!
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy and went through the hot flashes and such. I also gained 20 lbs in a year before I changed my lifestyle. I was on a very very low dose of HRT and it was just enough to keep the flashes at bay and keep me from biting off my families heads. I because at risk of developing heart problems and decided to go off the HRT. I've been off it about a year now and over the last few months have returned to having the flashes. However, because I've lost so much weight and have no insulation, I welcome them now...even if I do get clammy and sweaty. It is a nice little warm up when I'm freezing :) But, losing weight after/during menopause is not impossible like we are programed to believe! I am living proof ...90lbs in 1 year and still going.

Prayers for a quick recovery and complete smashing of this disease!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Please people, stop playing doctor and telling her to get on hormones or this and that treatment! The poster is on Tamoxifen which is an anti-estrogen treatment used to prevent recurrent breast cancer. If my assumption is correct (that her treatment was breast cancer) then hormones are totally contraindicated and put her at risk of recurrent cancer. Sorry to be so harsh but I am so frustrated by everyone trying to give medical advice on these boards. She should talk to her doctor about the hot flashes which indeed can be caused by the Tamoxifen and yes, the 'artificial menopause' is likely due to the chemotherapy.

And yes I am a doctor but would never consider giving medical advice over the internet as so many people on these forums tend to do.
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    Please people, stop playing doctor and telling her to get on hormones or this and that treatment! The poster is on Tamoxifen which is an anti-estrogen treatment used to prevent recurrent breast cancer. If my assumption is correct (that her treatment was breast cancer) then hormones are totally contraindicated and put her at risk of recurrent cancer. Sorry to be so harsh but I am so frustrated by everyone trying to give medical advice on these boards. She should talk to her doctor about the hot flashes which indeed can be caused by the Tamoxifen and yes, the 'artificial menopause' is likely due to the chemotherapy.

And yes I am a doctor but would never consider giving medical advice over the internet as so many people on these forums tend to do.

Just to clarify...I was by no means giving medical advice. She did ask what we were doing and how we got through it. I know my answer wasn't like some others. However, I agree...she needs to work with her doctor. I would hope anyone on here would talk to their doctors. But, nothing is being said on here that can't be found on google.
  • pattilou2
    pattilou2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't like taking any unnecessary medicines if I can work out the problem otherwise. I found that not eating late, staying away from a lot of alcohol and caffeine, keeps me from having the hot flashes/sweats at night. But a good Riesling is hard to stop at one glass!
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    "Just to clarify...I was by no means giving medical advice. She did ask what we were doing and how we got through it. I know my answer wasn't like some others. However, I agree...she needs to work with her doctor. I would hope anyone on here would talk to their doctors. But, nothing is being said on here that can't be found on google."
    [/quote]

My response wasn't aimed at you, you indeed did state what you were doing but if you read carefully some of the other responses told the original poster to go get on hormones.