No carb dieting and maintaining caloric intake

Options
2»

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just for fun...

Johnston CS et. al. Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. (2006) 83: 1055-1061

Background:Low-carbohydrate diets may promote greater weight loss than does the conventional low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet. Objective:We compared weight loss and biomarker change in adults adhering to a ketogenic low-carbohydrate (KLC) diet or a nonketogenic low-carbohydrate (NLC) diet.

Design:Twenty adults [body mass index (in kg/m2): 34.4 ± 1.0] were randomly assigned to the KLC (60% of energy as fat, beginning with 5% of energy as carbohydrate) or NLC (30% of energy as fat; 40% of energy as carbohydrate) diet. During the 6-wk trial, participants were sedentary, and 24-h intakes were strictly controlled.

Results:Mean (±SE) weight losses (6.3 ± 0.6 and 7.2 ± 0.8 kg in KLC and NLC dieters, respectively; P = 0.324) and fat losses (3.4 and 5.5 kg in KLC and NLC dieters, respectively; P = 0.111) did not differ significantly by group after 6 wk. Blood ß-hydroxybutyrate in the KLC dieters was 3.6 times that in the NLC dieters at week 2 (P = 0.018), and LDL cholesterol was directly correlated with blood ß-hydroxybutyrate (r = 0.297, P = 0.025). Overall, insulin sensitivity and resting energy expenditure increased and serum -glutamyltransferase concentrations decreased in both diet groups during the 6-wk trial (P < 0.05). However, inflammatory risk (arachidonic acid:eicosapentaenoic acid ratios in plasma phospholipids) and perceptions of vigor were more adversely affected by the KLC than by the NLC diet.

Conclusions:KLC and NLC diets were equally effective in reducing body weight and insulin resistance, but the KLC diet was associated with several adverse metabolic and emotional effects. The use of ketogenic diets for weight loss is not warranted.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I have been doing about 20-30 carbs a day for over 8 weeks now and do not feel anything like pp said before. I have way more energy, I stay fuller longer, and have been dropping weight consisitenly.

Ketosis impacts people differently. Heck, low carb dieting without ketosis impacts people differently. Like I said in my above post, you very well could be IR which would imply that a low carb approach would fare better in your case. Someone who's not IR though might feel like a bit turd taking carbs all the way down to ketosis.
  • aab2011
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information this is pretty interesting.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When I am dieting the way I should be, I eat a lot of the following:

egg for breakfast, either alone or with sour cream, cheese, or an avocado (and hot sauce, I like eggs with a tex-mex or spicy twist)
    grass fed beef
    (if you can have vegetables I would say eat lots of dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, or seaweed. Good for thyroid function, high in nutrients.)
    organic chicken meatballs from Trader joe's (you will see on the label that there aren't many carbs so there must not be much breading at all in this particular kind)
    you can make home-made meatballs and skip the breading, they will still hold together
    I eat poultry too, but it's a pain in the butt to cut the "nasty chunks" (fatty parts I don't like biting down on)
    I use organic heavy cream in my coffee (sometimes if I can have a bit more carb I use UNSWEETENED coconut milk, but read the label first to see if it's a brand that has too many carbs or sugars in it.)

If you miss carbs, you can use kelp noodles or Miracle Noodle or some noodles found in Asian groceries, but again, read the label because some have almost zero carbs and some are high. You have to find the right kind.)

I use coconut oil and Kerry's Irish Gold butter from Trader joe's to cook with. You can eat bacon (the best kind is uncured/no hormones) and if you can find cold cuts that are also less processed (no hormones, etc.)
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Mr. Troutman, I must say, you are fabulous and well-informed. Awesome/informative posts!
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Well thanks. Though I just went back and reread this thread and my grammar was awful. My apologies... I was roughly 35% awake, haha.
  • ninjanoni83
    Options
    Well my information was gained from a nutritionist and I am inclined to believe her more than others. No offense or anything. She has been doing this longer than I've been alive and she knows her stuff.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am having a major issue. I am going through a physician directed weight loss and am now going through the ketosis process which limits the intake of carbs. I lost 4 pounds the first week but was told that I didn't lose more because I wasn't eating enough. For some reason I cannot develop a menu to take in at least 1200-1300 calories without carbs. Can someone help????

If you just need to increase your calories without adding carbs, try adding some olive oil to your diet, and things like nuts and avocados. There are a few carbs there but not much and they are calorie dense.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stroutman81
    Options
    Well my information was gained from a nutritionist and I am inclined to believe her more than others. No offense or anything. She has been doing this longer than I've been alive and she knows her stuff.

No offense taken. I'm simply telling you that your nutritionist is incorrect. It's not my opinion against hers. It's that she's confusing some very basic human physiology and dietary energetics in relation to brain function.

Plus, it sounds like she needs to dive into the adaptive thermogenesis research.

I'm not knocking her. I've encountered many "professionals" who've been "at it" for a long time in their trade. Yet, they don't stay current with the research, which is a huge failing.

But the human physiology stuff that you're referring to in relation to brain function... that's 101 level stuff.
  • ninjanoni83
    Options
    I never thought about it that way. If she hadn't kept up with current studies she may not have known. Thank you for the insight.
  • stroutman81
    Options
    No problem. Thanks for not taking this as a personal attack, as so many are apt to do.
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's about time someone on this forum speaks facts. Everyone (it seems) on here is all about starvation mode and blah blah blah. They have no idea and are giving out the wrong information. Thanks Steve for putting them in their place with FACTS.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I really don't see the point of going into ketosis, only to force yourself to eat the same amount of calories. The big benefit of keto diets is the reduced appetite. Some people do it for medical reasons.

To answer your original question, you can easily get more calories from EVOO, butter, or coconut oil.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Hi Steve, good questions. Let me qualify that I can eat some carbs. I've been told to stay between the 10-20 range. I think that the doctor feels that the lack of calories may be causing my body to go into starvation mode. The ultimate goal of the program is to teach proper eating habits. The carbs will be back in a couple of weeks, and hopefully by the end of the program I will understand and follow a healthy eating plan.

It sounds like you're doing a very expensive version of Atkins. You could have probably just bought The Atkins Diet book somewhere online for $5 or less. I really have nothing to contribute to this post, other than pointing out you're getting ripped off. Carry on.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the point of going into ketosis, only to force yourself to eat the same amount of calories. The big benefit of keto diets is the reduced appetite. Some people do it for medical reasons.

To answer your original question, you can easily get more calories from EVOO, butter, or coconut oil.

Lyle McDonald is the expert on Keto diets. It all makes sense in theory but it's not for everyone, and people have different results with it. I'm currently doing UD 2.0, and while it's not exactly a keto diet, it sucks and it's probably not worth the effort. However I wanted to try it.

Trust me, Going day after day on low carb while doing high intensity pump training is not fun. It sucks on a good day, and this morning I felt like I wanted to choke someone at the gym after doing back to back full body workouts in 75 minutes. Glycogen depletion is imminent, and tomorrow is a 1200g carb (6000 calorie) refeed day. Can't wait to eat.

I most likely won't ever do it again after this week, but it's something I wanted to try.