Healthy Grab and Go Grub (From Store) Ideas?

Options
deminimis
deminimis Posts: 47 Member
edited March 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I'm just drawing a blank this AM. I pick up occasional, on-call shifts at a second job. On those days, I don't have time (or want to) to eat when I get home. If I get up at 5AM on those days, it's to workout, not for meal prep. So, looking for some ideas of things I can snag off the shelf at the grocery store (Safeway) on my way to my evening side hustle. Here are the parameters: No prep. Low cal, and reasonable, if not high, protein. Can't require refrigeration (no fat cottage cheese is out). Can't stink as I'm in an enclosed space (kim chi is out). Can't be wet or messy due to computers, monitors, etc (thus things like baby carrots, that are always wet, are out). Nuts are great, but they won't replace a meal (and I will over indulge). Fruit just doesn't have the protein I'm looking for (and I kill a serving or two of prunes at my day job already (I love prunes)). Jerky is just too much $. In other words, I'm looking for the "Uncrustables" of the healthy world. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I had to eat something that didn't require prep, and was shelf-stable, relatively scent-free, and dry, I would probably eat a protein bar.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Snap Pea Crisps, Pure Protein Shakes, pre-popped popcorn, fruit leather. There aren't too many options that I can think of that fit your criteria. Tuna or chicken pouches could maybe be an option, if you're careful.

If you have a dollar store nearby, they sell knockoff P3. They're mini packs of nuts, jerky and seeds/dried fruit. I usually keep a few in my desk at work. I also tend to buy jerky and nuts at the dollar store. Much better prices.

Calorie Mate blocks are also an option. Available on Amazon. They kinda taste like a dry cake, but they are full of nutrients and low calorie. They're not the best, but they hold up well in all temperatures, so they're something that you could leave in your car.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've got no idea if these would be available in that shop as I'm in the UK.

But for those circumstances I would look for hard bolied eggs, falafel, or pre made wrap. All of which live happily in my lunchbox without refrigeration for hours.
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a gallon jar of pickled eggs in the fridge. Won't be ready for a couple of weeks though. We go through them like crazy.