30 M / 5'2" / 136.6-114.6 lbs. Lost 22 lbs through CICO and weight training. Full details inside!

ajwindsorii
ajwindsorii Posts: 18 Member
edited February 2021 in Success Stories
TL;DR Album to all pictures https://imgur.com/a/B64hTKA. For bonus picture, just look at my profile picture.

**DEMOGRAPHIC AND SUMMARY STATS**

30 M 5'2" 115 lbs.

Started at 137 and finally got down to my goal weight of 115. Weight 114.6 this morning/one week later, so I'm pretty confident I'm truly at my goal weight.

Not sure where my body fat percentage is. Waist measurement says about 11%, but the 7 site calipers say 7.2% but I don't think that's right because I cut all the way down to 103lbs for wrestling when I was 18 and my body fat % was 8%. But then again, that was mostly water weight so who really knows.

Back in 2018, I dropped from 126 lbs to 115 lbs. Bulked up to 125 lbs. Stopped tracking for a year and eventually found myself at 130. Got down to 119 lbs before I had a kid and stopped working out for a while and found myself back at 130 lbs. Got down to 123 lbs in March and then the pandemic happened so I couldn't work out and ended up just sitting at home drinking Yoo-Hoo and eating Cereal all day.

So in September, I looked in the mirror and noticed I could see my gut bulging out through my shirt and decided enough was enough. I went to the gym near my house, signed up for a membership, and got back into the routine of things. At an average of 1.06 lbs/week, I eventually got to 115 lbs. I decided on this weight because this is where I was my senior year of high school. I was pretty fit, in wrestling, and consider this a good weight for my size. Sure enough, I feel way better, my pants once again require a belt, and I look good in the mirror. Now I can say I accomplished something during quarantine.

**PICS**

I am an idiot and forgot to take a starting picture at 136.6 lbs. Only comparison is a picture where I was at 125 lbs and the day I hit my goal weight. Crazy how much of a difference just 10 lbs of fat makes!

Before-ish and After comparison https://imgur.com/kZ5Pt08. Forgot to take a before picture

Chart of my progress! https://imgur.com/RoQrTlf Only a couple days I wasn't able to weigh in, but nothing chart breaking. I love this chart because it shows how much your day-to-day goes up and down and why you should focus on your weekly averages, measurements, and progress photos. Those plateaus near the end were making me nervous, but I remembered to trust my calorie count and exercise. Sure enough, it caught up in a major way at the end!

Link to my TDEE Tracker https://drive.google.com/file/d/1geYjFNeFtU78d4e9Pp4k3GYCT2w8Pmx_/view?usp=sharing. Fantastic spreadsheet all around. Not only does it show your weekly and monthly averages, but is great for finding your TDEE, tracking trends, and finding out when you can expect to hit your goal weight. I even added a sheet to chart your progress. Feel free to download and use for yourself!

BONUS! https://imgur.com/YfXERjm Me at 126 lbs January 2018. Before any kind of weight loss or exercise.

**DIET**

Diet was 1,200 calories/day (but it was probably closer to 1,500 due to me grazing on grapes throughout the week). M-F ate high protein ~110 grams. On weekends ate whatever as long as I stayed in my calorie count.

Men are generally discouraged from going below 1,500 calories, and I agree. The only reason I went with 1,200 is because I am in the bottom 1% in terms of height and, therefore, had a low enough TDEE that 1,200 would be just fine. Even at the end, losing 1 lb a week is 0.8% of my body weight which is well in range of healthy weight loss.

**MY MONDAY-FRIDAY MEALS**

**Meal 1/Breakfast** - 674 Calories / 21.6g Fat / 65.1g Carbs / 56.3g Protein

- Denver Omlette ~ 327 calories / 21.1g Fat / 5.3g Carbs / 25.7 g Protein

- Apple ~125 Calories / 0.4g Fat / 33.8g Carbs / 0.6 g Protein

- 2 Oikos Greek Yogurts ~ 220 Calories / 0g Fat / 26g Carbs / 30 g Protein

**Meal 2/Lunch** - 563 Calories / 22.9g Fat / 36.6g Carbs / 53.6 g Protein

- Quick Tuna Salsa Wrap ~ 361 Calories / 7.9g Fat / 26.4g Carbs / 46.6 g Protein

- 2 Sticks of Celery ~ 12 Calories / 0.0g Fat / 0.2g Carbs / 0.0 g Protein

- Peanut Butter ~ 190 Calories / 21.1g Fat / 5.3g Carbs / 25.7 g Protein

**Total**: 1237 Calories / 44g Fat / 101.7g Carbs / 110g Protein

These, of course, are estimates. Could be more or less as I traded out my original wraps for a low-carb wrap to save on calories. Tuna in water was traded out for buffalo flavored tuna to make it edible as I was gagging on the straight tuna for some reason. Might have raise the calories and lowered the protein just a bit, but I consider this a much, much better alternative. Peanut butter was switched to Honey flavored to make it smoother and tastier. Calories were about the same give or take 10.

Snacks
For snacks, I usually just grazed on grapes. Didn't really track them but I usually went through a 3 pound bag a week. So about 130 calories/Day. Weekends I probably snacked on whatever was around so it's hard to tell. My weekend calorie count was definitely higher than what is shown on the graph. I know this is probably bad, but taking things a bit easier on the weekends really helps make the diet easier to stick to and since I was still losing weight at my target rate, I don't suspect I was over-indulging. If that strategy amounted to one or two extra weeks, so be it.

**EXCERCISE**

Worked out M-F using the PHAT \(Power Hypertrophy Adaptive Training\) program. https://simplyshredded.com/mega-feature-layne-norton-training-series-full-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html.

I'm lazy so I didn't change anything out with the exception of doing standing calf raises in place of Donkey Calf Raises because I, for the life of me, cannot figure out how to do Donkey Calf Raises with anything more than one plate. Or even how to do that excercise correctly.

I made sure to drag myself to the gym every day. Even if there were days where I had something to do in the afternoon, I still made sure to go if that meant I could only do just two excercises. Very rarely did I have to miss an entire day.

**Monday - Upper Body Power**

- Bent over or Pendlay rows -
3 sets of 3-5 reps

- Weighted Pull ups -
2 sets of 6-10 reps

- Rack chins -
2 sets of 6-10 reps

- Flat dumbbell presses -
3 sets of 3-5 reps

- Weighted dips -
2 sets of 6-10 reps

- Seated dumbbell shoulder presses -
3 sets of 6-10 reps

- Cambered bar curls -
3 sets of 6-10 reps

- Skull crushers -
3 sets of 6-10 reps

**Tuesday - Lower Body Power**

- Squats -
3 sets of 3-5 reps

- Hack Squats -
2 sets of 6-10 reps

- Leg extensions -
2 sets of 6-10 reps

- Stiff legged deadlifts -
3 sets of 5-8 reps

- Glute ham raises or lying leg curls -
2 sets of 6-10 reps

- Standing calf raise -
3 sets of 6-10 reps

- Seated calf raise -
2 sets of 6-10 reps

**Wednesday - Back & Shoulders Hypertrophy**

- Bent over or Pendlay rows -
6 sets of 3 reps with 65-70% of normal 3-5 rep max

- Rack chins -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Seated cable row -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Dumbbell rows or shrugs bracing upper body against an incline bench -
2 sets of 12-15 reps

- Close grip pulldowns -
2 sets of 15-20 reps

- Seated dumbbell presses -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Upright rows -
2 sets of 12-15 reps

- Side lateral raises with dumbbells or cables -
3 sets of 12-20 reps

**Thursday - Lower Body Hypertrophy**

- Squats -

- Hack squats -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Leg presses -
2 sets of 12-15 reps

- Leg extensions -
3 sets of 15-20 reps

- Romanian deadlifts -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Lying leg curls -
2 sets of 12-15 reps

- Seated leg curls -
2 sets of 15-20 reps

- Donkey calf raises -
4 sets of 10-15 reps

- Seated calf raises -
3 sets of 15-20 reps

**Friday - Chest & Arms Hypertrophy**

- Flat dumbbell presses -

- Incline dumbbell presses -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Hammer strength chest press -
3 sets of 12-15 reps

- Incline cable flyes -
2 sets of 15-20 reps

- Cambered bar preacher curls -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Dumbbell concentration curls -
2 sets of 12-15 reps

- Spider curls bracing upper body against an incline bench -
2 sets of 15-20 reps

- Seated tricep extension with cambered bar -
3 sets of 8-12 reps

- Cable pressdowns with rope attachment -
2 sets of 12-15 reps

- Cable kickbacks -
2 sets of 15-20 reps

**Saturday & Sunday**

- REST [Normally, you would rest on Day 3 and 7, but I decided it was more convenient and I would be better able to stick to a M-F workout]

**NEXT STEPS**

Going to try and maintain for a few weeks and find what my TDEE is. Then slowly bulk up until I'm at a comfortable spot for the summer. Going to shoot for just 0.5lbs/week due to my size so I don't gain a lot of fat.

Any questions, feel free to ask! I love talking about this stuff.

Replies

• forkicks2
    forkicks2 Posts: 3 Member
    Your organization, and dedication to the routine is incredible, all of this and your progress is inspiring. And thank you for the sheet, what a resource!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited February 2021
    At your BMI you could have recomped from where you were...it was only 1 point above highest range normal, and eating 1200 cals a day even as a short man? Nope, just nope....there are so many of these posts lately recommending really steep calorie cuts, I mean you were exercising 5 says a week so were not sedentary...recomp, so you didn't have to bulk would have been a better idea....*shrug* there are some female stories like this, normal weight range, cut drastically...lost fat in strategic places....(well d'oh) instead of recomping....newbs to resistance training (I don't mean severely overweight/obese or really far away from normal BMI range) will especially benefit from recomping....but hey ho there ya go...
  • ajwindsorii
    Couple of things I should probably clarify.
    nexangelus wrote: »
    At your BMI you could have recomped from where you were...it was only 1 point above highest range normal

Body recompisition is only a good idea for those who are obese or new to lifting. I didn't fall into either category. Plus, recomping requires an extremely small calorie window which would have been difficult to maintain and would have taken weeks to find. And not to mention that you progress slowly in both fat loss and muscle gain with body recomposition. You get both better and quicker results from regular cutting/bulking.
    and eating 1200 cals a day even as a short man?
    I mean you were exercising 5 says a week so were not sedentary

This is my fault for not making it clear enough in my post. I ate closer to 1,500 calories when you take into account the snacking I did. I didn't track those well, but they definitely added up.

When calculating your TDEE for weight loss, it is recommended that you estimate low. Humans very much overvalue how much they burn working out. In a workout session, I realistically will burn 100 or less calories and nowhere near the 200-250 people think they burn. Yes I'm not sedentary, but better safe than sorry.

there are so many of these posts lately recommending really steep calorie cuts

This is not a recommendation. Men shouldn't go below 1,500 calories, normally. But again, I am in the bottom <1% of males when it comes to size. Quite literally an outlier. I was never exhausted from lack of nutrition. I didn't stay up all night starving, and if I felt hungry, I ate. At the end of the day, I lost less than 1% of my total body weight a week which is in the health dieting range.
  • nexangelus
    edited February 2021

Body recompisition is only a good idea for those who are obese or new to lifting. I didn't fall into either category. Plus, recomping requires an extremely small calorie window which would have been difficult to maintain and would have taken weeks to find. And not to mention that you progress slowly in both fat loss and muscle gain with body recomposition. You get both better and quicker results from regular cutting/bulking.

When calculating your TDEE for weight loss, it is recommended that you estimate low. Humans very much overvalue how much they burn working out. In a workout session, I realistically will burn 100 or less calories and nowhere near the 200-250 people think they burn. Yes I'm not sedentary, but better safe than sorry.

So you are an expert and looking to recruit followers, yes? This post looks like an advert for a weight loss plan and opener for people to contact you for more info, if I am not mistaken. Maybe I am getting cynical and cranky in my older age, I am 47 this year....I am still going to disagree with you...maybe you just want to help people out of the kindness of your soul?! MFP has loads of stickies in the forum that were done years ago with excellent detail and whatnot....

I am an advanced female, post menopausal strength athlete (Been in an out of the gym since I was 16 on and off and was sporty and active as a young person. I only strength train 3 times a week and I am active daily otherwise with cycling, walking, swimming and running), I recomped over 2 years eating between 1800 and 2300 cals per day. Am losing between 1 and 2 lbs per week on 1900 cals per day still. I am 5 foot 5 tall and weigh in at 145 lbs....I am quite lean now, roughly 20 percent bf...not as lean as you...it would have taken me a lot quicker than the almost 24 months (6 months tops) if I did not have my head up my bottom and struggled with ED triggers and other life stresses/stressors.

I did not for one second think we were talking about cattle....I presume we are all human on MFP, magical cats and stuff, though, maybe too?!

There have been a number of people recently near normal BMI range with similar stories and levels of detail as you...go you on your weightloss, etc, but if it is to recruit followers on insta and other social media, etc...er....yeah but no....

Just checked your diary out, no your days were nowhere ear 1500 until a few days this year, all below 1250 cals per day....

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/reports/printable_diary/ajwindsorii

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Well done and thanks for sharing.
  • nexangelus
    edited February 2021
    Easy dude, TDEE 2163 (maintenance cals), bulk just add 250 cals or more to that amount daily...depending on how quickly you want to bulk and if you really want to cut fat again....
  • ajwindsorii
    edited February 2021
    sijomial wrote: »
    Sorry but this is really poor advice and extremely inaccurate, the kind of stuff more often found on bodybuilding sites. It's cutting and bulking that is only suitable for a relatively small niche of very advanced lifters or those who happen to prefer that approach.

Hey, just wanted to follow up because I value your advice. I took a few days to look more into body recomp. (Apparantly people are calling it "maingaining" nowadays--who knew!). You are correct, body recomp works for the vast majority of the population.

Both Jeff Nippard and Greg Doucette agree that it's a perfectly valid approach for most people. Dr. Mike Israetel doesn't recommend it past the intermediary stage. And Aadam from Physiqonomics thinks beginners would be better off in moderate calorie deficit or surplus, along with lifting, depending on if they're overweight or not, but still lists a good number of groups for which body recomp is good. [All cite their referenced studies except for Greg Doucette].

So yeah, learned a lot. Thanks!
  • forkicks2
    What are the variables in columns AQ4:7 and AR4:7 on your sheet?
  • ajwindsorii
    I'll have to do some tracing when I get back home. Likely has to do with the number of calories that need to be consumed based on the number lbs or kgs you want to lose a week. That's my guess. I'll come back and give a better answer later tonight.
  • ajwindsorii
    forkicks2 wrote: »

Okay, I had a chance to look at this. Those variables change based on your preferences for lbs/kgs, cal/kcal and are added up. That number is then used as a multiplier and help to determine your estimated weekly TDEE.
  • forkicks2
    forkicks2 wrote: »

Okay, I had a chance to look at this. Those variables change based on your preferences for lbs/kgs, cal/kcal and are added up. That number is then used as a multiplier and help to determine your estimated weekly TDEE.

Thank you! Is there a region in the sheet that factors in exercise/activity as a part of the TDEE calculation? I read that TDEE comes from BMR and an activity multiplier, and I'd like to update them on the sheet for accuracy.
  • urban287
    urban287 Posts: 50 Member
    Good job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!