Intermittent fasting

Options
bbrogden57
bbrogden57 Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Share your thoughts on intermittent fasting.

Replies

• cfilipi1974
    cfilipi1974 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did intermittent fasting for a month last fall and it worked out for me. I would eat breakfast and lunch with some snacks here and there and then I would skip dinner. I ate between 8am and 5pm. I am now just getting back into it.
  • EmaDave
    EmaDave Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just starting. 1st week did 12:12, this week is 13:11. Not quite sure how this is going to work, as I work out early morning and my first meal is not until 8. Used to read that you should get protein within 20-30 minutes of workout completion. Now that’s about 2 hours after my run or workout.
  • bbrogden57
    bbrogden57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    Prepare to get disagreements... Or perhaps it's just me.

Both my fiance and I are very much enjoying Keto plus Water fasting every Sunday. So we eat at a calorie deficit 6 days a week as you would on any diet. Then we don't eat anything between Saturday Evening and Monday Morning (36 hours). This Sunday will be my 6 straight Sunday fast day. We've been really enjoying it thus far. It seems our hunger is very much muted by the fact we are already in ketosis from our Keto diet, thus there isn't any awkward feeling come fast day. We just keep going like a normal day, except there is much more time on our hands.

I should note, we are both extremely overweight so we have ample fat stores to be mobilized. I don't think I would recommend this to anyone categorized as "Normal" weight.

IF in terms of the daily windowed approach is probably a safer bet for the average or obese person... But I haven't taken this approach yet. I tend to prefer eating fairly frequently through out the day, and adore breakfast so It's probably not my style.

I am up to 24 hours no eating , 8 days so far. I am not sure when I should take a day off. I am afraid to take a day off. I was at a stall in my weight, I am losing a few pounds. My weight today is 136.6. I have lost 6 pounds in 8 days. I am reaching for 125. I was already in ketosis, so that helped a lot. I workout at least 4 days weekly. I have been playing around with healthy eating (Keto eating)for about 3 or 4 years. I gave up gluten and I feel so much better.
    Thank you for you story. It was amazing. You guy's are doing great. Good luck.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    You haven't eaten in 8 full days?! That's not intermittent fasting, that's just plain starving yourself. Please stop 😬 I hope I've misunderstood your message.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    bbrogden57 wrote: »
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    Prepare to get disagreements... Or perhaps it's just me.

Both my fiance and I are very much enjoying Keto plus Water fasting every Sunday. So we eat at a calorie deficit 6 days a week as you would on any diet. Then we don't eat anything between Saturday Evening and Monday Morning (36 hours). This Sunday will be my 6 straight Sunday fast day. We've been really enjoying it thus far. It seems our hunger is very much muted by the fact we are already in ketosis from our Keto diet, thus there isn't any awkward feeling come fast day. We just keep going like a normal day, except there is much more time on our hands.

I should note, we are both extremely overweight so we have ample fat stores to be mobilized. I don't think I would recommend this to anyone categorized as "Normal" weight.

IF in terms of the daily windowed approach is probably a safer bet for the average or obese person... But I haven't taken this approach yet. I tend to prefer eating fairly frequently through out the day, and adore breakfast so It's probably not my style.

I am up to 24 hours no eating , 8 days so far. I am not sure when I should take a day off. I am afraid to take a day off. I was at a stall in my weight, I am losing a few pounds. My weight today is 136.6. I have lost 6 pounds in 8 days. I am reaching for 125. I was already in ketosis, so that helped a lot. I workout at least 4 days weekly. I have been playing around with healthy eating (Keto eating)for about 3 or 4 years. I gave up gluten and I feel so much better.
    Thank you for you story. It was amazing. You guy's are doing great. Good luck.

I envy you being so close to goal. However don't try to push 36 hours on my account. Your total available 'mobilizable' fat is at a much lower level then I, and I reckon frequent and or prolonged fasting could prove more difficult and potentially counter productive. You've lost 6 pounds in 8 days, that's incredible and if you only want to loose 11 more pounds, then you could even ease up a bit on your calorie reduction and still lose significantly.

Thank you for your support! And best to you!
  • itsjeephair
    itsjeephair Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel like it helps me control the late-night snacking. My eating window is 9:30 am to 7:30 pm as I've read that women shouldn't fast for as long as men as it can affect our hormone levels.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Although this is very far away for me... Once i get much closer to goal, I may try the type of fasting where you eat 500 calories on a fast day. Probably 2 days a week. It's logical to assume that a much reduced fat reserve is far less capable of being fully mobilized to adequately meet your body requirements... Thus by consuming X amount of calories on a fast day, you reduce the requirement from fat to something more manageable by said fat reserves?

At least this makes sense in my head. I could be wrong.
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I "dirty fast", I am naturally not a breakfast eater so it is no problem for me to skip it. I do drink an energy drink in the morning, normally a Bang, or I will have coffee with a little half and half. Normally I will eat lunch sometime around 12:30 or 1:00. I do not eat keto, which normally accompanies IF.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I feel like it helps me control the late-night snacking. My eating window is 9:30 am to 7:30 pm as I've read that women shouldn't fast for as long as men as it can affect our hormone levels.

This is my understanding as well. Dr. Stacy T. Sims, wrote ROAR and her battle cry is "Women are not Small Men" and states that most studies done on nutrition and training are done on men and don't work the same on women. She is very against IF for women. But I know there are women that swear by it. I usually don't eat for 12-13 hours a day as is, just because that's how my life works and I'm generally not particularly hungry first thing in the mornings.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about a month and I didn't notice any significant changes. Plus, it starting triggering headaches for me. I was doing 16:8. It was not for me.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    an excellent way to stay in my deficit, I'm skipping meals.
  • ManlyMutt
    ManlyMutt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't recommend if you have any sleep issues. I dont initially do fasting but yesterday I had a big lunch and just wasn't hungry come supper time so I had hummus with a rice cake (70 calories). I woke up 5 hours into my sleep last night and usually I can get back to sleep. I found myself not being able to get back to sleep and feeling miserable. I thought it was just a bad night but I ended up going and eating a slice of cheese. Returned back to bed and felt calm and was able to get back to sleep in about a hour. I couldn't imagine doing that every night. Plus the fact my stomach has shrunk so much in my weight loss journey if I did intermittent fasting I'd be lucky to get 1000 calories in. This is definitely something that is different for each individual.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I do it but for no reason other than I don't care about breakfast and I'm naturally more hungry later in the day. Wasting calories when I'm not hungry, but know I'll be hungry later just seems dumb.

Belief that it has any benefits for health or to lose weight faster soley because of the fasting rather than the calorie control it CAN provide? Nah.
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I’m experimenting and hanging out around a 17:7 schedule, which worked for me last year. I usually break fast around 11 am, plus or minus an hour depending on hunger. I have early dinner and stop intake about 6pm, +/-. I like it and I’m not rigid about exact hours. For me the structure has interrupted evening indulging and has helped my appetite overall (mental or actual I don’t know!).
  • cstatdixon
    cstatdixon Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Since August 2020, I do an Intermittent Fasting schedule of 20:4. I am not doing Keto though.

I have always hated breakfast and eating lunch but I bought into the "you'll never lose weight unless you eat three meals a day" philosophy. Now I eat when I want and that is dinner time only. Rigidly, I don't eat anything after 7 pm and nothing before 3 pm and I love it; I feel free! I meal prep so food gathering/eating is no longer a big part of my day.

I am doing very, very well with weight loss which is a large part of my goal but I am also VERY interested in the reported possible health benefits of fasting.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan. I don't do anything extreme with most days 14:10 or 16:8 and occasionally an extra couple of hours. Generally I eat good healthy 2 meals and no snacking. I have found I have finally been able to drop to a weight I haven't seen since the mid 90's. My body no longer craves eating constantly and honestly learning those first weeks that I wouldn't die if I felt a hunger pain was life-changing.

My health is improved, i feel "level", and I no longer shoot up and down in weight if I eat a croissant. My mood is great, I sleep better. I eat a healthy Mediterranean diet with good olive oil and protein and tons of vegetables primarily but the odd croissant or cake is in my world. I don't do anything close to Keto. I aim for at least 60g protein (usually higher) and I aim for 60g carb but have higher days.

Took about 10 weeks I think for it to become 'easy'. I no longer count everything that goes in my mouth. I track some just because but not every thing I eat. YMMV, but my body and life loves it!