Strategy for pre dinner munchies

Options
carlaringuette
carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
edited March 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I work full time with an hour commute which means I am really hungry when I walk through the door. Trying to break the nibbling during dinner prep habit.

Any suggestions?

Usually crave potato chips or cheese stick.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Plan for snacks. Keep them in your desk at work, or just plan to grab a cheese stick and nosh while you make dinner.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I try not to let myself go hungry, that's when it becomes dangerous! I would try to eat more at lunchtime, or have some fruit or other healthy snacks with me to eat on the commute. Also carry a water bottle everywhere to make sure it's hunger not thirst.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make a big bowl of popcorn (50g unpopped/150 calories) as soon I walk in the door. A quick spritz of butter spray and Molly McButter powder, salt and/or grated parm really takes care of my urge to devour.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Usually a cup of tea or a small bowl of veg soup will do it for me.
    Or I've already eaten an apple on the way to take the edge off it.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    hot decaf tea
  • carlaringuette
    Options
    I'll try that tonight. Thx
  • carlaringuette
    Options
    KrisJ125 wrote: »
    When I had those long commutes, I would always save an apple or other healthy snack to eat on the train (or car). That way I didn't arrive home so ravenous.

I was doing that before Covid but when I started using hand sanitizer all the time it was a mind thing. Didn't want to eat in the car. You'd think that would help with the weight loss.

I uses to do grapes or cuties.
  • carlaringuette
    Options
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    For me personally, I try not to let myself go hungry, that's when it becomes dangerous! I would try to eat more at lunchtime, or have some fruit or other healthy snacks with me to eat on the commute. Also carry a water bottle everywhere to make sure it's hunger not thirst.

Thanks. Yep I'm working on the water.
  • idmalone
    idmalone Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Protein is key. I try to have a ready supply of small protein balls/ bites, plus a high fibre fruit such as an apple. sometimes an apple is enough, but when I am craving those high salt/ high fat snacks it is most often because I am under hydrated and have not had enough protein after a workout. I know what you mean - sometimes I don't get home until 6:30 - 7pm and by that time I pretty much want to eat everything. It's really good that you are coming up with strategies - forward planning is a win win!
  • Skinimalink
    Skinimalink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I munch on raw carrots. Your mouth feels like it's getting loads of food because there's a lot of chewing : )
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Celery and peanut butter - low carb, crunchy, filling. I also drink a flavored seltzer water. I really like Spindrift sparking waters. Sometimes I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter and chase it with a blackberry seltzer water. tastes like a PBJ (sort of).
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    KrisJ125 wrote: »
    When I had those long commutes, I would always save an apple or other healthy snack to eat on the train (or car). That way I didn't arrive home so ravenous.

I was doing that before Covid but when I started using hand sanitizer all the time it was a mind thing. Didn't want to eat in the car. You'd think that would help with the weight loss.

I uses to do grapes or cuties.

maybe try a bigger lunch if you don't want an afternoon snack?
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    This might be good for the commutes - if you are a jerky type person I like Chomps meat sticks, specifically. I especially like their turkey jerky meat stick. It's 60 calories, 10 grams of protein, no cruddy ingredients, and is wrapped up so you can eat one end while keeping the other one still in the tube, so you don't get that gross hand sanitizer taste on it. Good for in the car or right when you come home.

The other thing I do when I'm hungry is make a blender bottle of a low cal protein shake - the one I use is 60-70 calories, vanilla flavored, and has a little fiber in there too. I often add a teaspoon of matcha to it but that's just me. Again, blender bottle makes it so you don't have to touch anything and it could go in the car too.

Both make great "I'm home from work and I'm starving" snacks.
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I make kale chips or I make kale/spinach/collard chips. They are healthy and very low in calories. You can Google recipes to get yourself some different ideas, using your conventional oven, air fryer, or toaster oven. I season with a dash of garlic powder and sea salt. Works as a very nice snack, any time of day. Very satisfying.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I keep peanut butter filled pretzels in my car. A bit of salt, a bit of carb a bit of protein- and they're CHEAP!

To keep myself from eating the whole container, they live in the trunk, and I just take out one portion for the drive home
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I understand not wanting to eat on the commute at the moment (and in some cases it's not possible anyway if you're on public transport and need to wear a mask).

Can you eat a snack just before you leave work instead? Or you could have a low-calorie snack ready for the moment you get home?

Another possibility is to not have potato chips or cheese sticks in the house if they are messing up your eating plan. Or, if you are simply eating too many of them, pre-portion them out into small bags so that the portions are calorie controlled and you can have some when you get home without overdoing it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Plan for them and for me beef jerky is my go to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • northbyvertigo
    northbyvertigo Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Shouldn’t this thread be over on the “food and nutrition” discussion page?