Elliptical or Pendleton bike?

Options
Hi! Last four years I have enjoyed my elliptical machine for maintaining my weight and overall health but moving and intrigued to buy Pendleton bike - what do you think is best work out? Does cycling hit the same muscle groups as elliptical?

Replies

• katrinanne
    katrinanne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Or Nordic track treadmill - ahhh not sure
  • middleagegirl
    middleagegirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Recently got the Nordic Track Treadmill and love it!!!! Best purchase in a long time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm an avid cycling enthusiast...so I'm always going to go for a bike. I cycle because I enjoy cycling and my "workouts" are whatever I make them. I use Zwift with my bike and indoor trainer for most of my "workouts" which are two or three times per week...otherwise I just ride. I don't really care what muscle groups are getting hit because it's namely cardio...the main muscle you're working is your heart. For hitting muscle groups and whatnot...well, that's what resistance training and hitting the weight room is for. Any muscle mass you build doing cardio is nominal at best...that's just not what it's for.

I've never been a fan of the elliptical, namely because outside of just getting in a cardio workout, it doesn't really have any real world translation...ie it doesn't really make me better at something I'm going to engage in outside of the gym...for myself, when I did the elliptical it was just really exercise for the sake of exercise...nothing particularly wrong with that, I just prefer my exercise to have functionality and some kind of real world application.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Which one of Victoria Pendleton's bikes?

zva2n07cv2nt.png

Ellipticals and bikes broadly hit the same muscles (heart, legs mostly quads and calf muscles, glutes) unless you are talking about an elliptical where you can also drive it using some arm power as an assistance to your legs.

The best workout for what goal?
    If you want to be a cyclist then clearly the bike wins.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    the best machine is the one you will use.

Do you mean Peloton, by the way?