Protein Shakes

Options
Do you all do them as part of your diet? What's your favorite one if you have one, and why?

I use 4 different types... and mix them up so I don't get bored and am open to your suggestions! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    As a supplement when I need it...not really an everyday part of my diet (noun) though. I'd much rather have more chicken, beef, fish, etc and chew my protein. When I use it, I just drink it.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd call it a protein shake, but I do have a fruit and/or veggie protein smoothie with either protein powder and/or Greek yogurt almost every day for breakfast. I have probably at least 10 different flavor combos that I make, so I dont get bored. They keep me full and it's an easy way to get produce, protein and a bit of healthy fat.

I typically don't drink them as a snack, though, as I'd rather have something I can chew for that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein shake? Not really. But protein milkshake, every night!

p35i4p8c4obt.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a supplement IF you're not getting enough protein in through food. A lot of people just drink them because they're told they are needed especially after a workout. If you'd rather save the calories for food, eat food instead. I'd rather eat beef jerky for protein than a protein shake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    I like food, but don't find protein shakes particularly tasty or filling, so I don't use them. If I had trouble hitting my protein goal with food, I'd consider it, but I'm pretty easily exceeding 1g per pound of lean body mass daily, even as a vegetarian, and that seems like plenty to me. Gotta save a few calories for the healthy fats and plenty of veggies/fruits, y'know? πŸ˜‰

If you enjoy them, find them filling, and they help you meet your goals, I think that's great!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    @psulemon DETAILS PUHLEEEEEZE!!πŸ‘πŸ‘
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon what’s taking you so long?!?!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‹
  • knockout3737
    knockout3737 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you all do them as part of your diet? What's your favorite one if you have one, and why?

I use 4 different types... and mix them up so I don't get bored and am open to your suggestions! :)

I incorporate 1-2 protein shakes into my diet. I'll have 3-4 meals and have about 2 shakes a day.

Unsweetened Almond Milk: (1 cup)
    Oatmeal: (quick oats/1 cup)
    Baby Spinich: (1 handful)
    Whey Protein (2 scoops/62g)
    Peanut Butter: (1 serving/33g)
    Banana (medium)
  • ChrisRShaw
    ChrisRShaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like Premier Protein Shakes, lots of flavors and they are all pretty tasty. Just tried a new one " Apple Cinnamon with Oats". It has 7 gr of Fiber and I know that is something I fall short on a lot.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have one when I'm low on protein...and I'm often low. I don't really try to enjoy them; they're just for the grams of protein. I don't have a favorite, but I use some variety of whatever I have on hand often mixing the powders with just water. I have Pure Protein, Slim Fast High Protein, Raw Warrior Pea Protein and Integral Collagen in the house at the moment. I also have Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, canned tuna and chicken breast on hand if I need a dose of protein, but usually drinking it is more palatable and filling.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: Β»

p35i4p8c4obt.jpg

This looks amazing!!! How do you make it??
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2021
    Options
    @psuLemon what’s taking you so long?!?!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‹

7oz nut milk
    1 tbsp heavy cream
    2 tbsp sweetener
    1 scoop protein powder (i like a whey/casein blend)
    3g xantham gum
    1 cup ice

If you use a PB powder, then add 7 g of PB2 or PB fit. If you have a chocolate protein powder, then 5g unsweetened cocoa powder (I like special dark hershey's).

Top with 14g chocolate chips and whipped cream.

I added extra PB2 for pics for my other social media. πŸ˜‰
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2021
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: Β»

p35i4p8c4obt.jpg

This looks amazing!!! How do you make it??

Recipe in previous post
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nope. Don’t use them.