Calorie budget

Options
schannans
schannans Posts: 10 Member
Hi
I'm a newbie and I seem to go over my calories every day, sometimes up to 150 over.
Does any one have any advice on how not to go over please, it would be very much appreciated xx

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Can you give us more information?

Gender, age, height, current weight, and goal weight?
    What is your calorie budget?
    Are you exercising? If yes, are you adding any of those earned calories to your goal?
  • schannans
    Options
    Hi suzy

So I'm female, 30,
    17.1stone
    And my goal weight is 13 stone and my calories are 1,300 daily
    I currently haven't started exercising however I am doing the step challange I have been loosing weight 2-3 pounds a week. I just want to be able to stay with in my calories x
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    schannans wrote: »
    Hi suzy

So I'm female, 30,
    17.1stone
    And my goal weight is 13 stone and my calories are 1,300 daily
    I currently haven't started exercising however I am doing the step challange I have been loosing weight 2-3 pounds a week. I just want to be able to stay with in my calories x

I think that converts to around 240 lbs? 1300 is low for your stats anyway. With that extra 150 calories, if you are logging accurately and weighing food, you're still going to be in a calorie deficit. I weight 155 lbs and I have days ranging from 1400-1700 calories for weight loss.
  • schannans
    Options
    Hi stephie

Thank you so much I was staring to become a little worried that I wasn't on the right track xx
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    1300 sounds like your'e trying to lose 2lbs a week. Try 1.5 or 1lb a week. You didn't gain weight really fast, you can't lose it that way, either.
  • schannans
    Options
    Thank you its a fault of mine I try to hard to soon
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    To echo what others have said, if you are losing 2-3 pounds a week, then you are in a pretty big calorie deficit already. You can definitely eat more than 1300 calories if you are losing at that pace.

The key to making this work long-term is to not be miserable. If you make yourself miserable by under-eating, then you're not going to stick with it. It's better to lose slower and be able to maintain that loss.

As a reminder, though, weight loss is not consistent. Even if you are right on with your calories, fluctuations caused by water weight and hormonal changes can mask your losses sometimes. So, don't freak out if you don't lose one week, or even show a gain.

This is not a short-term fix, you are developing habits that you will need to use for the rest of your life. Good luck.
  • schannans
    Options
    Thank you suzy xx
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you plan your meals out at all or do you just wing it? I find planning helps me allocate my calories better throughout the day. Dinner is my biggest meal so I tend to pre-log that the best that I can, then I log my lunch and try to leave room for a snack. I’ve never been a breakfast eater so I don’t usually leave calories for breakfast.

Walking, especially if you are going at a decent clip, burns calories and I would log that as exercise. Then that gives you some more calories to eat while still being in a deficit. I wouldn’t eat all of them back, especially at the beginning because the estimates on calorie burn can be way off, especially if you aren’t using a smart device of some sort (and even those can be off).
  • schannans
    Options
    Thank you alz I don't plan as much as I should do. This is my goal for this week