1 week into an increased calorie diet and I am STARVING!

Options

Replies

• twyrm
    twyrm Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had this problem in the past, even though I was losing weight. I would get almost frantic with how hungry I was in the afternoon. Now I am eating more protein, less bad carbs. Check the glycemic load diet. I am eating much better and not really feeling like I'm missing anything, except that starving feeling.
  • Sararainmaker
    Sararainmaker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Might just be that you are spending much more time thinking about food now :) I bet it will get easier for you soon. I use to work at a little coffee shop, and we would spent hours coming up with new ideas for drinks... and then drinking them. I went home one night and figured up that I had had about 14 shots of espresso that day. Ugh my heart should have exploded!

I have been very good with my drinks and tracking my food. I was so proud of myself when I remembered at the end of a work shift that we had all sampled a muffin and I had about 1/4 of one, and I tracked it, just like everything else! :) It's true, food is on my mind a LOT more now. While I was at work this morning I was actually okay. I handed out a ton of very good smelling breakfast sandwiches and my tummy didn't grumble in the slightest~ Perhaps it IS the mental aspect of it... I haven't thought about food this much since I was a freshman in high school and in sports!
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    Try eating 100+ grams of protein per day. It fills me up!

Good God... how do you do that?! :D
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I find that it's crucial that I eat protein with every meal. If I eat an all-carb breakfast, I will actually get nauseous. One boiled egg or one piece of low-fat sausage cures that. The rest of the day, an all-carb snack will just make me hungrier. Every snack I eat has some cheese or nuts, or jerky - some kind of protein.

I also LOVE raw almonds. I can munch on 6 almonds for 15 minutes and it's only 55 Cal or so.
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    For me I noticed if I drank 20 ounces of water whenever I am eating it makes me feel full. Also, try to eat more protein and fiber because that also makes you feel full longer. Hope this helps :o)

I have been drinking crystal light as well as water... though I failed today on both accounts... I really should up my water intake though, you are definitely right there!
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    I think I just made my profile public... not sure. Now you can all see what I have been eating, perhaps this will help. I have yet to have dinner tonight, so today won't be much help, though :D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Egg whites (although I prefer whole eggs and rarely waste the yolk but the protein is all in the whites), Greek yogurt, lean meats, and protein powder (any brand will do, but make sure it have very little fat and carbs in it.)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Lean meats, Greek yogurts, and protein shake!

Grilled chicken breast is my staple. I eat it pretty much every day. Fish is good too, though I personally don't like the taste as much.

If you usually eat cereal for breakfast, try putting 1/2 scoop of protein powder in your cereal.
  • howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hunger is still a problem for me.....I've been dieting since January and lost 75 pounds.....for me....I fear hunger will always be an issue but I remind myself how bad i felt when I was 75 pounds heavier and now tell myself I'd rather be hungry than feel fat. I do chew alot of gum and drink alot of water too, but the line I repeat to myself is "would you rather be hungry or fat...you get to choose"
    Works for me!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    For me I noticed if I drank 20 ounces of water whenever I am eating it makes me feel full. Also, try to eat more protein and fiber because that also makes you feel full longer. Hope this helps :o)

I have been drinking crystal light as well as water... though I failed today on both accounts... I really should up my water intake though, you are definitely right there!

For some people artificial sweeteners make them more hungry. You may want to try doing this drinking just straight water with no crystal light.
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    Lean meats, Greek yogurts, and protein shake!

Grilled chicken breast is my staple. I eat it pretty much every day. Fish is good too, though I personally don't like the taste as much.

If you usually eat cereal for breakfast, try putting 1/2 scoop of protein powder in your cereal.

I am concerned about the protein powders... I am lactose intolerant and I think most of those powders are pretty high in lactose, aren't they?
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Now that I have more info I can offer a few more bits of advice.

#1 get rid of the artificial sweetener it's detrimental to your weight loss and can cause a lot of hunger
    #2 get rid of the simple carbs i.e. the oatmeal/rice on go with veggies that have protein instead
    #3 you definitely could do with more protein below is a few examples of how to get 90+ grams a day for each meal

Breakfast:
    3 eggs boiled or scrambled (no oil/milk) 21 grams+ Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles 11g (1 serving)
    or
    Chobani 0% greek yogurt 23g for 8 oz. + berries

Lunch:
    Chicken breast 4 oz-21g
    Tuna-2.6 oz 18g (only 80 calories)
    Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Meats 51grams (approx 6 slices) gives 9g of protein for only 50 calories

Dinner:
    5.5 oz Petite Sirloin Steak 28 g
    Lean hamburger patty 93/7 23g
    Jennie O Hot Italian Turkey Sausage 17g
    Jennie O Ground Turkey 93/7 4 oz-21g

Snacks:
    Raw Almonds 28g svg=6g
    100 Calorie Muscle Milk-15g (this is Gluten Free and Lactose free)
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    Btw, thank you all for your responses so far! I didn't expect so much support and assistance! You guys are the best ^_^
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    Now that I have more info I can offer a few more bits of advice.

#1 get rid of the artificial sweetener it's detrimental to your weight loss and can cause a lot of hunger
    #2 get rid of the simple carbs i.e. the oatmeal/rice on go with veggies that have protein instead
    #3 you definitely could do with more protein below is a few examples of how to get 90+ grams a day for each meal

Thanks for the suggestions! A few of these sound quite doable, even for my neophyte mind in the kitchen!! I also picked up a cookbook that might help me with a few of these in the future! A couple of questions though:

With the artificial sweetener, which is better, going with raw sugar/granulated sugar or the artificial sweetener. I am trying to wean myself off the desire for the sweet taste, but that takes some time, and I would love to know which I should be using.

With the simple carbs, I am not sure I understand what a simple carb is. Should I be looking more at potatoes instead of rice? and would eating plain rolled oats with dried berries and/or nuts still be considered simple carbs?

Thank You :)
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Rice is great, but go with brown instead of white.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb for simple carbs is white. Flour, sugar, white bread, potatoes, etc. I'm not sure I'd personally consider oatmeal a simple carb, especially the longer-cooking varieties like old-fashioned or steel cut.

For sweetener, try stevia like the new Truvia.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Stevia is best if you need sweet, I like Truvia. Next would be sugar. I would not recommend anything artificial as there are ALOT of studies about the adverse side effects. Just google aspartame, splenda etc. And you'll see the horrors. I just recently purged it out of my life totally. I feel much better and my insane cravings are less. I did it in stages though. I've replace diet pop with La Croix lime natural seltzer water and water with True Lemon Lemonade (it's 5 calories and sweetened with Stevia).

Good luck with the cravings.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    whey protein might have lactose but there's other protein sources

Hempseed is usually very safe for those unable to tolerate nuts, gluten, lactose, and sugar.
    Beans and legumes....

and if you're going to use Stevia get the plant extract yourself or grow it in your garden... truvia and purevia are no better than aspartame and splenda in the amount of processing in them see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180927-truvia-and-purevia-leave-it-on-the-grocery-store-shelf
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    Good rule of thumb for simple carbs is white. Flour, sugar, white bread, potatoes, etc. I'm not sure I'd personally consider oatmeal a simple carb, especially the longer-cooking varieties like old-fashioned or steel cut.

For sweetener, try stevia like the new Truvia.

Oooh. I have Truvia at the house! I should bring that to work with me so I can put that in my tea! So that doesn't count as an artificial sweetner? ^_^
  • Sararainmaker
    Options
    whey protein might have lactose but there's other protein sources

Hempseed is usually very safe for those unable to tolerate nuts, gluten, lactose, and sugar.
    Beans and legumes....

and if you're going to use Stevia get the plant extract yourself or grow it in your garden... truvia and purevia are no better than aspartame and splenda in the amount of processing in them see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180927-truvia-and-purevia-leave-it-on-the-grocery-store-shelf

Darnit! lol. so much for that idea! :D