No work out....

Options
has any one lost a lot of weight on this site and did not work out? I am just wondering. 
And how long did it take for you to lose the weight?

Replies

• OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I lost almost all of my 110 pounds without doing regular exercise in 13 months -- just followed Weight Watchers. I would NOT recommend this, however, because once you hit maintenance it's going to be a *$#@! to try and stay on track. That's why I'm here now, trying to find a balance between exercise & eating well.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you want to work out?
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I'm down 30# since mid-January.
    I can't work out due to a bad back & a neurologically dead right leg below the knee.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 lbs in the past 16 months (12 while on MFP since June) and I have exercised the whole time. I don't think I would like the way my body would look if I did not workout and tone along the way.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 lbs in the past 16 months (12 while on MFP since June) and I have exercised the whole time. I don't think I would like the way my body would look if I did not workout and tone along the way.

^^^ This!!

That's part of what I'm trying to do now...tone up & make up for lost time :-/
  • chrissypops
    chrissypops Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ive lost 28lb just watching/logging what i eat, smaller portions and being clever with exercise, ie walking more. I do try and work out 2x a week but it can be a bit difficult finding the time with a family and work commitments. Think the general consensus is that working out can help burn fatty deposits over the body as well as toning muscles, so u get a leaner look. u can be a heathy weight but be untoned, so u would have to start working out anyway, so you might as well do both at the same time. Its all about balance xx
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I was just wondering I haven't really been working out. I sometimes go on a 25 min walk with my dog and I play tennis some times for hours. I will be workin to my Jillian micheals DVDs again soon but I was just wondering. 
  • girlypop
    Options
    i'm curious about this too cuz i workout lightly.... lol i take long, fast paced walks and do pilates. Neither of these activities burn tons of calories, are high impact or will give big results, but i figure its better than nothing
  • chrissypops
    chrissypops Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i'm curious about this too cuz i workout lightly.... lol i take long, fast paced walks and do pilates. Neither of these activities burn tons of calories, are high impact or will give big results, but i figure its better than nothing

Walking is one of the " all round "good exercise, it works your whole body. It might not be a high cal burn but its a good toner, same as swimming/pilates/yoga, they all still make ur body work x
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    My first 40-ish pounds were lost with minimal working out. Meaning, some weeks I worked out a couple times a week, some weeks I didn't work out at all. My diet stayed strict, regardless, and I lost the 40 in about 5 months. For the last month and a half or so, though, my weight loss has slowed down to only a pound a week and I still have about 50 pounds to go until I'm in the healthy range. So about 3 weeks ago, I decided to start exercising 5-6 times a week and see how that goes. I won't be weighing myself all that regularly, but I've already (in these 3 weeks) lost an inch in my hips and half inch in my waist. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without working out. Absolutely. Cutting calories is the key to weight loss. But, you'll find you lose weight quicker and your body looks better if you are working out too.
  • jpamplin28
    jpamplin28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lost some of the weight in the middle of my journey without working out as I have joint issues but as soon as I was able I started working out again. I wasn't really liking the way my body was shaping up while I wasn't working out. Since resuming regular exercise about 3 months ago I have lost inches and everything is shaping up better.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For me, this journey was all about 1 step at a time.

1. Ate less of same stuff

2. Changed food up a bit, and watched my calories closely...bam! 30 lbs lost

3. I noticed that I didn't like my body still, so I started walking. My challenge for myself was increase my speed during the same length of time (i.e., walk for 60 min @ 3 mph----> walk 60 min @ 4 mph) I have noticed a bigger difference in just walking this way 2-3 times per week.

I always tell people that you really must figure out what is sustainable long term in order to make it work forever. For me, 5-6 times/week working out was not going to fit into my lifestyle. Figure out what works for you, and just do it! I have only lost about 20 lbs since I started walking, but I know there are other factors at play, so I don't worry about it. Also, my last 10 lbs I begged to come off, and yet I still dropped a pants size! That speaks volumes to me.
  • mystic2girl
    Options
    I work out most weeks but I find as long as I don't go over calories I still lose weight the weeks I don't. I do it mostly for toning and to boost my metabolism. My friend lost 80 pounds without exercising at all. Try both for a few weeks. It is about what works best for you.
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks every one! And I like the take it step by step. I think that's what I will do.
  • peterson_jessica
    Options
    It's possible, but I don't think you will be as happy with the results. If you are cutting calories without working out, your body may be breaking down muscle instead of fat. If you are exercising while cutting calories, this helps eliminate that by building your muscles while making your body burn more fat. You may not be happy with the physical results either once you hit your goal because you wont look toned. My advice is to work in some sort of exercise :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!