Smoking and working out?

Options
Does anyone here happen to smoke and weight lift or just work out in general?

I've never been addicted to smoking, though I used to smoke socially about a year ago. I've stopped and today I had a couple cigarettes because it was just that "moment". I don't plan on smoking again anyway.

But how does smoking affect working out? I am just weight lifting at the moment. Thanks in advance!

- Yes, I understand that it's very bad for your health etc.. please, I understand that.

Replies

• capeto
    capeto Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I also smoke and to weights and cardio 5 times a week. I will try to quit smoking, because of health but really need more condition doing cardio.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is that it impairs your lung function, which is obviously not good when exercising. For both cardio and weight lifting your muscles need as much oxygen as they can get to perform well.

If you don't plan on smoking again, just don't.
  • nguyenedward
    nguyenedward Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I totally understand that it's bad as i've stopped smoking for almost a year now. Today, I had a couple cigs. It's just I regret doing so now... ugh.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I totally understand that it's bad as i've stopped smoking for almost a year now. Today, I had a couple cigs. It's just I regret doing so now... ugh.

I know how it goes, any bad habit is like that. Until I broke my sugar addiction I always felt terrible after eating ice cream or other sweets. Just stay strong. One or two now and then probably won't do much harm, but obviously it's not a good idea. You're on the right track, just stay on it.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Honey, I read this post and just shuttered (but clapped when I saw you were quitting). Because all I can think of when I see young people smoke is what people look like at the other end of their lifespan (I'm a nurse), when people live chronically on portable oxygen or cannot walk to the bathroom without being short of breath because of COPD. Exercise? Forget about it. This is real and I see it happening every day and it's such a tragedy because it's so preventable. If for no other reason, quit smoking to be a good role model for other people and kids who might be tempted to think they are young and therefore invincible. For you, it may not be an addiction (yet), but for most people, it becomes a deadly one.
  • nguyenedward
    nguyenedward Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I know how it goes, any bad habit is like that. Until I broke my sugar addiction I always felt terrible after eating ice cream or other sweets. Just stay strong. One or two now and then probably won't do much harm, but obviously it's not a good idea. You're on the right track, just stay on it.

Yeah, I know. It's just a "moment". Thanks for your support.

Honey, I read this post and just shuttered (but clapped when I saw you were quitting). Because all I can think of when I see young people smoke is what people look like at the other end of their lifespan (I'm a nurse), when people live chronically on portable oxygen or cannot walk to the bathroom without being short of breath because of COPD. Exercise? Forget about it. This is real and I see it happening every day and it's such a tragedy because it's so preventable. If for no other reason, quit smoking to be a good role model for other people and kids who might be tempted to think they are young and therefore invincible. For you, it may not be an addiction (yet), but for most people, it becomes a deadly one.

I quitted about a year ago. And have been living healthy ever since. Been doing a lot of cardio and all of that. I managed a weight loss of 70 lbs. I am however, not addicted. It's just that, i've been living a healthy life stye for almost a year and today I smoked two cigarettes, which I am very disappointed in myself.
    I just hope those two cigs, won't affect me when I workout. I won't be smoking anymore! but thanks a lot for your support, nurse!