Walking/Jogging and swelling

Options
My hands swell so bad when I walk or jog. Any suggestions to help that? It doesn't matter if it is hot or cool, they swell up and ache! Anyone else with this problem?

Replies

• busymom11
    Options
    I have this problem also. Usually, it's only bothersome at long distances. It goes away quickly after I'm done. I take my rings off before long walks, then its not as troubling.
  • solflyer81
    Options
    yes actually. I m not sure if there is a leading cause for it though...I have had cholesterol issues and back issues which led to bad circulation. I have noticed since i have lost almost 10 pounds am eating healthier and have lost about 18 inches that i have not had this problem. I can not tell you which one of these seperate issues caused the problem though : ( i would recommend getting checked though-it could be a sign of a different problem altogether.

sidenote* look at your sodium intake as well
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Raise them over your head at intervals while you're walking. The centrifugal force of swinging your arms can cause that. I've also read that an electrolyte imbalance can cause the same problem, so make sure you're not getting too much or too little sodium and potassium.
  • nanegan
    nanegan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It’s likely related to vasodilation, which means that blood vessels are opening up, leading to increased blood flow near the surface of the skin. Increased blood flow just under the skin makes the face pink or red and it may cause puffiness of the hands.
  • songbird1973
    Options
    Mine do the same thing, and I agree with the above statement. It usually goes away quickly.
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I use to have that problem, but not anymore. I have changed my diet over the past 3 years and cut out alot of foods that are high in sodium. I eat a pretty clean diet now. Maybe that is the difference I'm not sure?
    I go on a 3 mile walk every night, I walk 6 miles a day on the weekends and I run many times a week (training for a marathon) and no swelling! Do you drink alot of water? I'm a big time water drinker. The only other thing I drink besides water is coconut water, unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk. I use those in my Shakeology. Shakeology also helps with swelling and bloating maybe that's what helps?
  • cgreagor
    Options
    I do walk a lot. Several miles a day and have done several 10k walks. I have a 1/2 marathon walk next month. My feet never swell, just my hands. It does go away quickly after too. I just had a full physical 2 months ago and all was perfect. I have seen runners wear things on their arms that look like it compresses the forearm and wasn't sure if that is the reason they wear them or not. I do drink plenty of water before and after my walks. Maybe just something I have to live with on my long walk days.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Limit / Lower your sodium intake, thats what I was told
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I had that but it's definitely lessened now that I've lost weight. To control the swelling, run your hands and wrists under really cold water as soon as your walk is over.
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yes, sodium can cause this. Also, hydrating properly will help. Be sure you are not getting too much or too little sodium. Either way can cause the same problem.