CLOSED GROUP-Get Ahead With The Shred!

Options
Hello ladies! Welcome to our new message board! This is where you will weigh in each Monday morning, and come for support, laughs, and information. I will also post challenges for the week on Mondays. The only thing you have to do to be a part of this group is to do the 30-Day Shred every day for thirty consecutive days. The challenges are COMPLETELY OPTIONAL, but I know some people like to go above and beyond, so I’m giving those go-getters an added boost! Don’t forget to “friend” everyone in the group and add “GET AHEAD WITH THE SHRED” to your signature!

-The challenge will start on Monday September 12, 2011, giving anyone who does not already have access to 30-Day Shred (from here on out known as 30ds) a chance to get the DVD.

-You will need the DVD and about 25 minutes to devote to doing the DVD every day. There is a warm-up, the exercise routine, and a cool-down. You can use hand weights if you like (mine are 3lbs each) but you can also easily do it with soup cans or with nothing at all. I use a yoga mat as well since some of the exercises are on the floor but, if you are doing it on carpeting, there should be no issue.

-You will be expected to weigh in every Monday (since we are starting on a Monday) and post those numbers on this message board. Your first weigh-in will be Monday Sept. 12, 2011. Other than the required Monday check-ins, feel free to check in with us at any other time for support, encouragement, laughs, or whatever you need!

AND HERE ARE OUR LOVELY MEMBERS!

Name: Michelle (chedeco)
Height: 5'2"-5'3"
HW: 200
SW: 200
CW: 183
MG: 165 (by Halloween)
MG: 145 (by New Year's Eve)
MG: 135 (by 1/29/12-My Anniversary)
UG: 110 (by the end of April 2012)

Name: Tina (Tinasmythe)
Height: 5'3"
HW: 189
SW: 162
CW: 164 (yes that is a gain of 2)
MG1: 155 by Halloween
MG2: 147 by Thanksgiving
MG3: 140 by the New Year
UG: 130 by my Birthday 3/8

Name: Theresa (Twoody83)
Height: 5'0"
HW: 150
SW: 135
CW: 110
MG: 125 (by September 15)
MG: 115 (by Halloween)
UG: 110 (by Dec 2, my birthday)

Name: Ginny (Ginny5775)
Height: 5'2"
HW: 165
SW: 165
CW: 150...not positive though, my scale needs new batteries :/
MG: 130-135 (by Halloween)
MG: 125 (by Christmas)

Name: Danika (DanikaDawn)
Height: 5'5"
HW: 200
SW: 198
CW: 198
MG: 185 (by Halloween)
MG: 175 (by Christmas)
UG: 140

Name: Rosalind (rosalindphyllis)
Height: 6 feet
HW: 291
SW: 291
CW: 266
MG1: 263 By Oct 29th (my brothers wedding, I'm pretty much there, so it would be nice to be down to 260 for then)
MG2: 246 (17.5 stones) by Christmas
MG3: Below 17 stones by my birthday - So 238 or less
UG: 190 - Whenever I get there!

Name: Jamie (jlinan23)
Height: 5'8"
HW: 273
SW: 269
CW: 267
MG: 250 by Halloween
MG: 225 by the 1st of 2012
MG: 185 by my anniversary, June 23rd
UG: 150 between Sept. 1st and Halloween of next year

Name: Tiana (t_rog)
Height: 5'4"
HW: 197
SW: 197
CW: 176
MG: 171 by my birthday, Sept. 27th
MG: 165 by Halloween, Oct. 31st
UG: 160 by Christmas, Dec. 25th

Name: Laurel (sugarbone)
HW: 140
SW: 140
CW: 120
UG: 110 (hey same as you chedeco :))

Name: Carol (CarolM742)
Height: 5'6"
HW: 198
SW: 191.2
CW: 189.2
MG: 169 (by Halloween)
MG: 150 (by 12/12 my 50th Birthday)
UG: 140 3/18/12 my Anniversary

Name: Keia (rawrkeia)
Height: 5'5 on a good day. 5'4 every other day.
HW: 180
SW: 175
CW: 168
MG: 150 by Homecoming
MG: 140 by Christmas (This is currently my main goal, but I think I can do better.)
UG: 130 Before Easter of 2012

Name: Cristina (olpbabe)
HW: 213
SW: 209.6
CW: 193.8
MG1: 189.6 (20 pounds lost)
UG: 130ish (size 6/8)

Good luck on your weigh-ins tomorrow, ladies! Remember, weigh in before you eat but after you've gone to the bathroom. Let's get shredded!

Replies

• sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yaaay :-) I weighed in today because it monday in NZ and I just had to know, but i'll weigh in tomorrow too!
  • rawrkeia
    rawrkeia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna have to steal a scale to weigh-in on. I currently don't own one in my college dorm.

I'm curious. Any chance we can already know the challenge this week?
  • chedeco
    chedeco Posts: 109
    Options
    Ooh, Keia and Laurel, I LOVE your enthusiasm! I weighed in today too, haha! There will be a small challenge or assignment for each day which are optional. All you are required to do is to do the 30-Day Shred. But here goes...

Monday: Take pictures of yourself in a bikini or bra and underwear from all angles (front, back, both sides). No sucking in that tummy! Keep these somewhere where you can look at them. I'll encourage you to take pictures again at the end of the 30-Day Shred. Even if you took pics at the beginning of your weight-loss journey, take some now so that you can see the results of the 30-Day Shred. It would also be a good idea to take your measurements: neck, bust, chest, arms, waist, hips, thighs. You can re-measure at the end of The Shred.

Tuesday: Walk, jog, or run one mile. It doesn't matter how long it takes you or how fast you do it. It doesn't matter if you're inside or outside. It doesn't matter if you do it all at once or in 4 short quarter mile bursts. Move your body an extra mile than usual.

Wednesday: Get all the water you are supposed to have today. 64 oz. 8 cups. However you measure it. I never get my 64 oz. I'm lucky if I get half that. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! (I know, we should be doing this every day, but it's a jumping off point for those of us who don't get enough water for whatever reason.)

Thursday: Find a yoga pose that interests you online or in a book. Practice it, own it, and make that the way you start and end your shred each day. If you're so inclined, you can begin added yoga into your daily routine!

Friday: Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park farther away from your building or the store. If you work at an office job, take a walk during lunch. If you're a student, skip the bus and hoof it to your next class. It's Friday, which should put a spring in your step!

Saturday: Let yourself have a little treat today. Not necessarily a food treat, but a little token of affection for yourself and how well you're doing. That new book you've been eyeing? Snag it. The body lotion that makes you smell heavenly? Own it. New movie just came out you're dying to see? Head to the cinema or rent it, redbox or Netflix-style. You've earned it!

Sunday: I don't mean to go all "Biggest Loser" on you but...today's your day for your last chance workout. Monday is your first real weigh-in to see what the first week of 30-Day Shred has done for you. Get to the gym. Do some stretching. Get out and walk. Take a class. Stick to your calorie/fat goals. Do your best and let the scale congratulate you in the morning!
  • rawrkeia
    Options
    Friday will be known as my h*ll day. I live on the fourth floor. Stairs will be the death of me. But I'll do it!

I love all these challenges though! I'm just glad none of them seem so 'un-doable'.
    I've been stressing way bad for school. Had a huge paper and a test this week, so I've been eating like crazy. :/ But it's all over now and happily have enough calories for a good dinner. :)
    I think I deserve it.
  • olpbabe
    Options
    Great challenges, Michelle! I took some pictures of myself over the summer, which was about 16 pounds ago. I can't wait to take some new ones now to see that difference. And then, of course, the difference before and after shredding!

I'm going to try and do my shredding as soon as I get home from work. I run too, and I think I'll be too tired to do them both close together. I don't run tomorrow, but I want to start the habit of getting it down early. If only I could wake myself up at 5:15 instead of 5:45 so I could do it in the morning before work! But alas, that's just a bit too early :yawn: ...maybe one day. :wink:
  • Tinasmythe
    Tinasmythe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am excited too! I like your challenges too, as a mom and full-time student they seem very doable. I love the one for hydration because I need to be reminded to drink water. I am dreading the weigh in because I have eaten very badly and we will be again again tomorrow. We had a death in the family and you know the food that shows up. Anyway I am ready for this. Thanks for starting this group!
  • Twoody83
    Twoody83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The challenges are awesome! I also love the hydration one. I definitely need to drink more water.
  • samvanz
    samvanz Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Is the challenge totally closed?
    If it's too late to join the team, I'm still going to follow along at home with the challenges, because they're great and I'd love to give my 30DS a bit of a boost.

Thanks for coming up with this!
  • DanikaDawn
    Options
    Can't wait to start! I have a busy schedule tomorrow- which would normally be an excuse to skip exercise- but I'm determined!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Monday morning weigh in : 265.5

Starting 30DS in a couple of hours. I'm a bit nervous actually!
  • chedeco
    Options
    Glad you guys like the challenges! I tried to keep them "do-able" because our main focus is The Shred. Also, I've seen challenges put forth by other groups and they're really intimidating, so I tried to keep ours motivating and low-key.

@Tina: I am SO sorry about the death in your family. Please let us know about any support you may need.

@samvanz: The challenge IS totally closed (I've already turned some people away) because I find that the challenge groups that are the most successful are the ones that are small enough that the members are able to really support each other. I do urge you to follow along and hope that you'll accept my friend request so that you can let me know how you're doing from time to time.

@Ros: Way to be the first posted weigh-in! Good luck on your first day!

Alright ladies, it's 3:17 am here in Massachusetts and I need to snooze if I'm going to Shred it out! Later!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    SWEATING!

So much sweat.

That felt good though. Well, it feels good now. First day down. I don't know whether to have a sneaky look at the later levels or kep them as a lovely surprise. I think I'll leave it for now. Who knows how much fitter I'll be in 9 days?

29 days to go!

It made me laugh when she said "we're all in it together" and I thought, "Yeah, but you're about half the weigh of me, plus everything is taut so there's no bouncing around." Full disclosure: I'm having to modify the jumping jacks (No arms) so I can hold my boobs. I must got a second sports bra to wear; one is not cutting it.
  • rawrkeia
    Options
    The shred is making it physically hard for me to walk. :( My calf is so tight.
    So I've been icy-hoting it and just keep right on trucking.
    If anyone has any ideas for how to make it not tight, please let me know.

And weight: 168.
    Neither up nor down, but its a win to me. I ate so terrible this past week...
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    Did you start it early?
  • rawrkeia
    Options
    I did. Today, if I do it, will be Day Three.
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    I'd add some extra stretches at the end, maybe give yourself a calf massage after working out? The cardio and squats are tough on legs.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be starting over to Day 1 with you all today because I really slacked off last week--it was a crappy week overall, I ate terribly too because of a lot of stressful things going on. :( But, surprisingly I did lose a tiny bit of weight for this morning's weigh-in.

Last week: 267.8
    Monday weigh-in: 267.4

@rawrkeia I've had the same problem with the cardio exercises, they seem to make my calves SUPER tight afterwards. I've found that doing calf stretches by putting your foot up on the wall diagonally and pressing lightly down really helps stretch that out.

@rosalindphyllis I thought that was hilarious what you said about Jillian's comment that "we're all in this together." I thought the exact same thing when I did it the first time .. although I might have added a few cuss words in with my comments about it, lol.

And lastly, those challenges are awesome! I think they're really going to help me push myself to be better, especially the ones about drinking more water, and taking the more physical route instead of sitting on my butt and finding the nearest parking spot.

Hope everyone's having a good time with The Shred!! :)
  • chedeco
    Options
    Hi guys! I am beyond excited to be able to weigh in at 179.7 this morning. I haven't seen the 170's in YEARS. The weight was NOT coming off and I was getting frustrated and then I step on the scale yesterday and am 3 lbs down. I had hit 180. This morning I held my breath. Was it a fluke? Would I gain? Would I still be at 180? But no I made it into the 170's (albeit the very end of the 170's) and I am feeling proud! I haven't shredded yet, my plan is to do it in the afternoon but these comments about stretching are helpful. Maybe I'll add some before and after to avoid the tight calves. As for the jumping jacks, I'm pretty sure I'll end up holding up my DD's instead of doing Jillian's arm motions until I can invest in a better sports bra. (Those things are expensive, especially for busty ladies!) Well, I'm proud of my MFPeeps who've already weighed in and shredded and eager to hear from the others as they weigh in and shred the day away. Stay strong, the first week is always the hardest! And don't forget to take those pictures!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    Options
    That's awesome! Well done! There's nothing like seeing a new low on the scales. It's a great feeling.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. Weighing in today at 176. Haven't done the Shred yet today, been a little busy. Will probably do it evening or night. ALSO dreading the picture taking! ugh. I hate body shots but i do realize they're necessary to track progress! I'll probably check in later to complain about how hard my workout was :-P

Have a good day ladies!