Any help on weight loss plateau? I read many ways to get out, but don't know what I need to change

Options
babymin1
babymin1 Posts: 7 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! So far i'm 27 days into my weight loss journey, i'm 5'3, 20 y old, and currently 224 pounds and have been for about a week and half. Everything was great so far, lost 13 pounds at the start and now i'm stuck here. I must admit, its quite demotivating seeing those numbers drop and then stop for so long, I can't help but feel like i'm losing valuable time that I could have spent losing weight. I figured i'm at a weight loss plateau, however here's my question. I've read so many different opinions and suggestions on it from more calories to stop starvation mode, or to eat less calories (which I cannot do, i'm already at the lowest low that mfp and other sites recommend me), or more working out with less calories. Some even say to just wait it out until my body adjusts to these new eating habits. I'm super frustrated and losing my motivation over this to be honest with myself. How am I supposed to know what my body is telling me/wanting me to do to get out of this? Any help or input would be much appreciated because it's leaving me feeling sad and angry at myself that I'm stuck.

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    So you lost like..... almost 1/2lb per day when losing. I'd say that's far too fast. If I were you - I'd use a Total Daily Energy Expenditure calculator to figure out what your TDEE is (it will have you use your 'activity level' similar to MFP as a multiplier). Then you can manually choose a calorie goal that is more than your BMR and less than your TDEE.

If you are eating the lowest amount of calories that MFP allows, then I'm assuming your calorie goal is 1200 for the day? I had that as my goal waaaaay back when when I first started to try to lose weight and I didn't have much success until I refigured my calorie goal using the TDEE method and it resulted in me eating more, having more energy to complete workouts, and losing weight.

I know it's not a one-size-fits-all thing but it's quite possible that you are not eating enough and your metabolism is just slow...do you find that you feel lethargic? When I wasn't eating enough I found that I could muster up the energy for a workout (I run) but that I didn't make progress quickly (as far as running goes) and I was super tired otherwise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Use this as an incentive to make sure your logging is as complete and accurate as possible. !🤗
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Commit to the process, rather than the results. If you are eating nutritious food in appropriate quantities and moving your body regularly, you are on track for your health, no matter what the scale says.

It may be helpful to either use a tracking app to show your weight trend over time or just put the scale in a closet and don't weigh in again until next month. Either way, you will get information that shows averages and trends, rather than expecting a day to day result.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    You’re not in a plateau. You have lost 13 lbs in 27 days.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    vyhprd3o2tzt.jpg

emrryo54mqt3.jpg
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Here is something that helped me - when you get to your goal and need to maintain, you are really just eating the same way you ate during losing weight, but when you hit maintenance you get to do small things like have peanut butter on your english muffin instead of light butter, or have a 150 calorie dessert instead of a 75 calorie dessert. So the best thing you can do now, is start to create a way of eating and a lifestyle that is sustainable, that makes you happy and that you can continue. There is no "lost time" because you are in this for the long haul. Once you get rid of any deadlines or finish lines, it becomes easier. The key is to eat in a way that is the best life you can lead, that makes you happy and feel fulfilled, while still achieving your calorie goals.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    As others have said, be patient. I would be lucky to lose .5 lbs a week, so anything more than 2 lbs a week is a lot.

And what is the alternative? You quit and gain back what you lost plus more? Ask yourself- are you losing for a better life or for a momentary event? Because if it’s for life, you need to be consistent for the rest of your life to maintain, not just for a month. Are you prepared to do that? If I could go back to 20 year old me I would explain the long game is shorter than the short game, if you are patient and weigh everything you eat. I wish you good health and hope you enjoy the journey!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    During my weight loss, I often had periods of nearly 2 weeks where the scale didnt budge. This despite eating consistently under my caloric goal. Be patient and hold the course.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It will take a couple of months of data to get a true idea of what your weekly average weight loss is (hint- it won't be 4lbs/week) and, if you are a woman, to get a sense of how your hormonal shifts are reflected on the scale. Personally, when I am actively losing weight, my weight goes up a little the first 2 weeks of my cycle and then falls to new lows in the next 2 weeks.