Give up junk food or make room for it in your diet?

jayemes
jayemes Posts: 865 Member
I need to eat 1500-1800 calories a day to lose weight when I'm working out. I eat lunch and dinner and leave room for a drink and/or a little snack to keep me sane.
Sometimes (every other week?) I have pizza. I try to eat light the rest of the day to balance.
Sometimes I have a bagel and try to go easy to make up for the giant NY carb bombs.
There are things I find I can't/refuse to make room for. For example, I like pop tarts.... but when I'm eating 1500 calories I can't justify 190 of it to be a pop tart.
Do we just not get to eat stuff like that at all again ever?
Do you give it up totally, or do you cycle in the stuff you miss occasionally?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited March 2021
    I am a moderator, if you will. If I have a bag of chips in the house, I can happily ignore that bag of chips (or candy or cake) for a very long time, and when I do have some have an amount that fits my calories. If, however, I were to say "I WILL HAVE NONE EVER AGAIN" I would obsess about the thing I was not 'allowed' to have, then eventually snap and eat way too much of it.

So I always try to leave a couple of hundred calories on the table and always allow myself the things I really want - though I WANT a lot of things a lot less than I used to (weirdly, I do not care about chocolate in general, but I am INTO some other things that I keep around and will always have some of.)

Even leaving that aside:

If I tried to revamp my life so that the only frozen meals were the ones I premade and froze myself, and was always prepared with 'healthy' snacks, and never had to eat at a drive through or from a gas station, I would have fallen off the weight loss wagon before I was fully on.

I do fairly well meeting my calorie goals with 'good' food probably 95% of the time.

The other 15%?

Well, today my food has been:
    Coffee made with reduced calorie swiss miss and unsweetened almond milk
    An egg sandwich (2 pieces of bread, 2 eggs, little mayo, lots of black pepper)
    Some raw bell pepper and carrots-

Great so far, right?

Then crap hit the fan with life being life (flat tire, was stuck) and the rest of my day was:
    A bag of chips, a candy bar, and a slim jim with a diet coke I bought at the gas station I was stuck at).

So. Yes.

There's room in my diet and day for almost all food. Sometimes a lot of the less than ideal stuff in a day, but usually just a small bit a day and a larger small bit about once a week.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I don't believe in "giving up" any type of food, but it's all about my priorities and the choices I make. It mostly comes down to how much I actually like the food and is it worth it to me, and if it is, I'll make room. However, a lot of those foods people call "junk food" don't make me feel good after I eat them. I'm not referring to making me feel guilty for eating, but physically just not feeling that great.

For example, a long time ago I discovered that if I have a carb-heavy breakfast (like pancakes with syrup), I'd feel like I needed to take a nap afterwards, and also feel like I had a rock in my stomach. Blech. So, I'd always order eggs, but even that didn't help all that much. This was before trying to lose weight. Another example is a donut. I like a good donut--but again, I feel tired after I eat it, have to pair it with a good amount of protein and a fruit (because I do that with every meal), and then I'm good. I've also discovered most donuts are just ok. Homemade/bakery cakes and cookies on the other hand, I will almost always make room for!

Overall, I'd say my diet consists of more nutritious foods because physically I just feel better, but I always save room for some kind of sweet (usually more than once) in my day.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,091 Member
    I haven't given up anything. But there are foods I have less frequently now
    For example: I love salty snacks, but I rarely buy potato chips, because I know I need a large enough portion to feel satisfied (which requires a bit of planning since it's high calorie). Whereas for example Japanese rice crackers, I love them too but I can eat a smaller portion and still feel satisfied and they are less calorie dense. So I have rice crackers 3 or 4 times a week and potato chips perhaps one bag every 3 months (spread over a few weeks). One rule for all snacks: no eating from the bag!

Junk food meals are rare for me, but they were rare before too. We have the occasional pizza from the freezer (for convenience), take away pizza or takeaway sushi (hardly junk food, but it is about 1000kcal). I make it fit my calories (or sometimes not 😁 ).

You say you won't eat pop tarts because they're 150 calories, but maybe you don't like them that much? I'll make room for foods I really like, and that includes 500-600 calories for half a pint of Ben & Jerry's on average once a week!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Like several others have said, I haven't given it up entirely, but what I have done is scaled back. I haven't eaten a SAD in many years, but I was still overeating, and foods that are commonly considered junk took up more of my diet than I realized until I started logging accurately. And homemade cake might be better for me than a wrapped prepackaged cake from the snack aisle, in some sense, but they're both still full of sugar, and I probably don't want it every day if I'm going to lose weight.

(In theory I could, but I'm definitely one who benefits from eating other things to feel satiated, to help me stay within my calorie budget. So treats are now treats for me. They're occasional, for occasions, not every day. But some people make room for it every day and that works for them. I don't think that would work for me, but as I get closer to goal weight we'll see.)

I think the most important thing is really being honest with yourself about what works and what doesn't, and being willing to adjust your behavior accordingly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Once I realized that "junk foods" were just collections of calories and macro nutrients, planning what to eat because a lot easier. Do I have room for the calories and is it crowding out other stuff I need? That's all I have to ask.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    I give up NOTHING. If I have room or plan it into my daily allowance, I eat whatever I want. There really is no such thing as "bad" food unless it's rotten. It may not be as nutritionally dense as other options, but to me taste, texture and HAPPINESS of what I eat matters. If I was a "perfect" eater and was miserable, being "perfect" wouldn't be worth it. I've left jobs that made me a lot of money, but left me no time to be with family or friends and limited my gym time. I'd rather make less and enjoy my job and life. Same goes for food while still keeping health in mind too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I avoid most hyperpalitable/energy dense foods MOST of the time, but one day a week I allow myself to relax and have a meal out or similar. I still am conscious about calories, but one meal wont make or break my maintenance. I do avoid certain foods that might "trigger" heavy overeating. I just believe, for me, I like a treat to be a treat. I dont obsess and enjoy my current dietary pattern and think it is one I can do in the long term.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Generally, I don't really crave those foods. But once in a great while, I do indulge. Two weeks ago I was out driving most of the day and hit the drive-through. While I was looking forward to the "indulgence," reality came into sharp focus as the meal I was so anticipating turned out to be a disappointment.

Most of my days include a little chocolate treat (110-200 cals). Had PopTarts just last week. If anything, occasionally succumbing to the lure of fast/junk food reminds me that I'm not missing out on or sacrificing anything by eschewing those foods.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    jayemes wrote: »
    I need to eat 1500-1800 calories a day to lose weight when I'm working out. I eat lunch and dinner and leave room for a drink and/or a little snack to keep me sane.
    Sometimes (every other week?) I have pizza. I try to eat light the rest of the day to balance.
    Sometimes I have a bagel and try to go easy to make up for the giant NY carb bombs.
    There are things I find I can't/refuse to make room for. For example, I like pop tarts.... but when I'm eating 1500 calories I can't justify 190 of it to be a pop tart.
    Do we just not get to eat stuff like that at all again ever?
    Do you give it up totally, or do you cycle in the stuff you miss occasionally?

My overall diet is pretty nutritionally on point...but we do have family pizza night most Friday nights...and I enjoy cookies or some cake, etc for desert most evenings.

If you're working out, are you also accounting for that by eating back exercise calories. I'm assuming you're male...1500 calories is the lowest calorie target for a sedentary male...most men can eat more and lose weight. I'm a desk jockey and I exercise regularly, but I don't really do any crazy workouts or anything...I'm just active outside of work and get around 11-12K steps per day...ride my bike for 30-45 minutes 2-3x per week and lift 2x per week. I lose about 1 Lb per week on about 2500 calories per day on average...plenty of room for some "junk food."
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    edited March 2021
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If you're working out, are you also accounting for that by eating back exercise calories. I'm assuming you're male...1500 calories is the lowest calorie target for a sedentary male...most men can eat more and lose weight. I'm a desk jockey and I exercise regularly, but I don't really do any crazy workouts or anything...I'm just active outside of work and get around 11-12K steps per day...ride my bike for 30-45 minutes 2-3x per week and lift 2x per week. I lose about 1 Lb per week on about 2500 calories per day on average...plenty of room for some "junk food."

Nope. Female. 47 years old. 215 lbs. Up from 175 lbs 3 years ago and yearning to get back there.
    Work out 4 times a week on average - cardio and strength.
    Average 10-15k steps a day. Eat 1500-1800 calories daily to lose.
    The higher calorie days are workout days.
    *ETA - when I lost 25 lbs 3 years ago, this is the way I did it.
    My issue with "junk" food is that once I get in my fruit and veggies and lean protein and make room for coffee and a glass of wine, I don't see much room left for food with no nutritional value. I just wonder how other people handle that - smaller portions of "junk" or just skip it. I guess I wonder if I'll ever be able to sit and watch a movie and eat a whole container of pringles with a beer or if I just need to decide that never happens again.
  • HeidiHo135
    HeidiHo135 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm with you jayemes. In the same boat, 48 year old female with 1200-1500 calories/day goal. I'm just getting back onto the weight loss train again. I do best when I cut out all junk food, as in the past that is what has derailed me before. And I feel so much better when I'm eating veggies, protein, fruits and healthy fats. It gets tough when I face family get-togethers and holidays. There are a lot of junk food traditions associated with those events and it seems like I'm not just saying no to the foods, but to the experience and sharing with others. Jury's still out on whether I'll give it up for good, but right now, it's best for me to give it up and focus on filling up with nutrition. My body feels like junk when I eat the junk. I am enjoying the discovery (or rediscovery) of new healthy recipes, though.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Both when I lost a bunch of weight and was eating lower cals and now, I focus on eating meals made up of protein and vegetables, along with some (usually) whole food starches or fruit or whole grains and also healthy fats.

Because lean protein and vegetables are so low cal, I often did have about 200 discretionary cals even after a healthy day with sufficient fiber, 90-100 g of protein, and 10+ servings of veg. This typically was on days I had exercise cals. So I'd have about 200 cal of ice cream sometimes. Junk food? No nutritional value? I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but typically it was something I had in lieu of using my extra cals on a non dessert luxury (like cheese in my omelet or salad or maybe, on somewhat rare occasion just due to personal preference, a sandwich instead of a lower cal/higher protein lunch, or, sure, a higher cal dinner (ice cream was more likely to fit if I had fish or shrimp vs lamb or chicken roasted with the skin on or even pulled pork).

I've lost my sweet tooth lately (it was never a big issue, but lately I am not really interested in even a little ice cream after dinner), so have been doling out my luxuries in other ways, but I just don't see this strong line between what is and is not junk food -- I'm another who sees it as about nutrients in the overall diet (I actually watch this pretty closely off and on by logging at Cron) and what fits and is worth the cals to me. Thus, although I am unlikely to want dessert, I'll have evenings like today where instead of my planned dinner (inspired by a vegan African peanut stew with collards recipe I saw online), I decided I really wanted a grilled cheese sandwich so made one (on the Ezekial bread I conveniently have in the freezer for just such an occasion) with some vegetable soup and cottage cheese on the side. Grilled cheese isn't something I have often, but it can fit into my overall diet just fine, and that's how I feel about "junk food" generally.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Eating "healthy" is kind of objective everyone has different goals and what works for them. Now that I am in maintence I joked with my mom that 85-90 percent of the time I eat healthy/nutritional goals but the other percent I eat like a silly haha but I do watch the calories even then even if I do go over maintence calories. I could totally fit in pop tarts, but they aren't my splurge for breakfast or a snack. My way of keeping on track is to make food I really like that is within goal, filling, and yummy!
    LORD JESUS guide 💟
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think the big thing is down to 'worth it' and *not trying to overhaul so much of your life at once that it falls apart when life inevitably happens*.

I actually DO eat healthy 90% of the time - maybe more. A lot of my 'junk' is not all that junk food oriented. But those changes came with time and seeing calorie counts and realizing that I don't like those things THAT much. I took a bite of a donut today, said 'too sweet' and threw the rest of it away - and I had just bought it. Came home and made a chicken sandwich for the calories I'd saved for the 'treat' it turns out I didn't actually want.

But I will absolutely find a way to fit the things that REALLY matter to me in there, and sometimes that's healthy stuff (Gorton's freshcatch fish sticks man. High protein, low calorie and delicious) and sometimes it's a freaking peanut butter cup.

And sometimes it's not the food.

It's eating with my mom or watching a movie with my kid -- or even going out with my friends for ice cream. Even though I threw away my ben and jerry's months ago because the ice cream itself wasn't worth it.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I had a See's marshmallow egg for lunch today. Most days, it wouldn't be worth it, but today it was. It was mid afternoon, I was at the mall walking by the See's store, and I'd been too busy to eat the healthy lunch I'd planned. I figured it was so late in the day, dinner was only a couple hours away...and the chocolate was just about the same calories as the lunch I'd planned. It was delicious and within my calories. I also think that should be a very rare thing to do since it did mess up my nutrition balance for the day and didn't fill me up at all.