Issue losing weight.

Options
Hello I was just wondering if anyone has an answer to my issue? I usually tend to weigh myself three weeks apart however over the last three weeks i have not lost any weight, I have stayed within my calories and eaten relatively healthy along with this I have cycled a minimum of four miles a day for the three weeks but I have not lost any weight at all. If anyone knows why this is or can give me some tips on how to get better it would be really appreciated. Thankyou!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are the diet and exercise new? Changes can lead to water retention or changes in bowel movements.

If female, are you in a different point in your cycle?

Did you eat more salt, sugar or carbs than usual recently?

How accurate is your calorie counting? Are you weighing your food?

Weight loss is not linear and the reasons for that are myriad.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you gave some context about yourself, how you got your calorie goal if would help as would making your diary public. The biggest issue normally is inaccurate food logging which opening your diary would confirm or refute.

One tip from the very little information provided is don't use the cycling calorie estimates from the database here as they are dreadfully inflated (unless you happen to be riding through thick mud or climbing a massive hill perhaps....).

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Well, weighing only once every three weeks, there really isn't enough data to say you're not losing weight. You could have lost fat, but have the same scale weight because of water weight fluctuations. Your recent weigh-in could be a 'high' day (extra water retention after exercise, sodium or another reason) and your previous weigh-in might have been a 'low' day.

I weigh myself every day, it makes it a lot easier to filter out the fluctuations and determine what my weight trend is. Some people prefer to weight less often. It can be useful to use other methods to determine if you're making progress, for example measuring yourself.

If you aren't losing weight (but we're not sure of that at this point), then it would be good to have more information about your weight loss journey: your stats, progress, calorie goal, chosen weight loss rate, how you are measuring your food, etc.
  • Sam_H_N
    Sam_H_N Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As as avid cyclist, I can tell you that I haven't had any luck losing weight cycling. Maybe it's just me, but cycling is great for me to build those thigh and knee muscles, but not for weight loss. I have much better luck with just walking or hiking and HIIT (when I can keep from boogering up my knee). Have you tried or are you able to try a different exercise routine? Sometimes the body gets accustomed to a certain routine and that can cause plateaus.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sam_H_N wrote: »
    As as avid cyclist, I can tell you that I haven't had any luck losing weight cycling. Maybe it's just me, but cycling is great for me to build those thigh and knee muscles, but not for weight loss. I have much better luck with just walking or hiking and HIIT (when I can keep from boogering up my knee). Have you tried or are you able to try a different exercise routine? Sometimes the body gets accustomed to a certain routine and that can cause plateaus.

That's not how bodies and exercise works.
    If you are producing power you are burning calories. what actually happens is that as your fitness improves you can burn more calories. Either in the same time or through being capable of longer duration.
    e.g. When I started cycling seriously 170w for an hour was my maximum (612 net cals), now it's about 220w (792 net cals).

If you haven't had "luck" I'd suggest looking seriously at how you are estimating your calorie burns.
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and eat almost same food everyday. For me it is helping.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    You are NOT eating at a deficit if you fail to lose weight after 3 weeks. That being said, here's the caveat, , , if your weigh in occurs during that phase of your menstrual cycle where you put on some water weight, that would account for it. Also, if you've lost a considerable amount of weight, what used to be a deficit amount of calories, is now a "maintenance" amount of calories. If you ate a meal heavily laden with salt/sodium in a day or two before the 2nd weigh in that might possibly account for it. BUT, most likely, you'll need to tighten up your food intake by weighing EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth that has calories. Weigh everything that isn't liquid, no measuring cups or TB SP. Try that for 3 weeks and I'm willing to bet there'll be a difference. Go for it!!!