Give up junk food or make room for it in your diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kelly4374
    Kelly4374 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make room for 200-300 calories per a day for none clean eating. I work retail, there's always junk around for staff. I also add an alcoholic beverage on days where I have a large overage of calories from workouts.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that as an endurance cyclist I have days where I need* to eat a lot of calories, so I tend to save my "treats" for those days. But I have found over time that even on high calorie days I'm increasingly preferring the healthier option because it makes me feel better. Nothing is off limits, but I'm naturally choosing less junk as time goes by.

*Now I've lost the weight I initially wanted to lose, and a fair bit more on top, my focus has very much moved to logging my food to make sure I eat enough rather than the other way round.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have something sweet almost every day.

i eat out frequently, and order what i want.

I eat under 1500 calories per day, most days.

Do you really want a pop tart? or a bagel? You may not be able to fit BOTH in the same day, but you can certainly have one on one day, and the other the next.

modertation isn't about abstaining totally, its about making a choice for a particular day on what you want more, or what you can fit in. I'd think a pop tart far easier to fit in than a bagel, but that's me.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    So, the answer to, do we just not get to eat stuff like that, ever? Is... you can probably find a way to eat the things you really enjoy. But when you have to think about it due to counting calories, you might find out that you never really enjoyed half the stuff you used to eat.

Good way of putting it.
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Don't give up foods completely, you will only crave it more. Besides, are you really not going to have cake/chips/whatever again? I highly doubt it. You are trying to lose weight to have a more enjoyable life, right? My ideal life isn't vaycant of those things. Everything in moderation is key. I'm young and have a decent metabolism which probably contributes to it, but I'm a 137 lb, 5'6 female. I eat cookies and cake and icecream and still live my life. If you struggle fitting these things in, try having them in smaller portions or having them less often. Make sure to just count your calories and you can't go wrong 🙂
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    7rainbow wrote: »
    Don't give up foods completely, you will only crave it more. Besides, are you really not going to have cake/chips/whatever again? I highly doubt it. You are trying to lose weight to have a more enjoyable life, right? My ideal life isn't vaycant of those things. Everything in moderation is key. I'm young and have a decent metabolism which probably contributes to it, but I'm a 137 lb, 5'6 female. I eat cookies and cake and icecream and still live my life. If you struggle fitting these things in, try having them in smaller portions or having them less often. Make sure to just count your calories and you can't go wrong 🙂

The bolded is highly subjective. Some people do well with a flexible dietary pattern, others do not.
  • cbenno97
    cbenno97 Posts: 130 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I'm also someone who is an abstainer rather than a moderator. I've had moderation preached by others my entire life--or so it seems. In the end, I can only go from my experience. I know that hyper-palatable foods send me down the path of wanting more, more, more. While I admire the willpower of the moderators among us, my willpower comes from not allowing certain foods in the apartment to begin with. I haven't given up hope that one day I'll become someone who can eat all foods in moderation, but at this point, I'm not there yet. Different strokes...