My snacks is over 800 calories (sweet tooth)

Options
I've just entered the snacks I'll be having today. I haven't eaten any of it yet but it comes to 881 calories out of my allowance. Isn't that too much? I don't know how to give up snacking tbh.

I'm 11 pounds away from my target weight but I would have hit it ages ago if it weren't for the snacking.

Replies

• melaniepaganm
    melaniepaganm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That is quite a bit. What kind of snacks are you struggling to keep away from? Perhaps we can brainstorm some lower calorie and nutrient-dense alternatives :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What is your total allowance?

Are these nutrient dense snacks like nuts and fruits?

If you keep to your calorie allowance, you will lose weight. However, it might be easier to stay within the allowance with more nutrient dense foods.
  • thebiblewithtina
    thebiblewithtina Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks both. They're not fruit and nuts but chocolate and crisps.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to reduce the number of snacks or, if you think you need to eat a certain number of times per day, to switch up some of these snacks to maybe lower cal ones?

If you love the chocolates and crisps you don't have to eliminate them, but having one snack of that sort per day (or at least fewer than you are now) could help cut the cals.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Technically for weight loss, if they fit into your budget you can still have success (which you probably already know since you have made progress already). That is, for me, a high number of calories for 'snacks' and comprises 50% of my daily allowance and I would find alternatives, or reduce the amount.
    Is there a particular time of day that the 'munchies' hit you? or kind of an all-day thing?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I allocate hundreds of calories per day for snacks. There’s no harm in that.

However, reconsider making some of the snacks more satiating ones.

Speaking only for myself, if I spent all my snack calories on candy and chips I’d be gnawing my arm off pretty darn quick, even if I tried to stagger them out during the day.

So I spend mine on cottage cheese, fruit, yogurt, jerky, frothy tea, pudding mix and the like. They fill the bowl, and hence my tummy.

I still eat chocolates but smaller amounts. Can’t bring myself to eat crisps though. Was going to have a serving of them with my lunch sandwich yesterday, and got so mad when I saw how few 150 calories worth was, I put them back in the bag and ate an orange instead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,557 Member
    Options
    Reduce the amount on your servings. If you're eating 2 servings, reduce it to 1 or 1.5 servings. And find better snacks with lower calorie counts if you can. I'm not saying to NOT enjoy your chocolate or crisps but based on the number of calories expended, you're eating more servings than you may need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    my snacks are typically under 300.

today i had two donuts though. LOL but that's not an average day.

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that you shouldn't deprive yourself. But 800 cals seems a lot for snacks.

Do you eat them out of habit? I know I do, so I found lower cal options.

Now, instead of crisps after my lunch, I have popcorn or lentil curls. Per 100g, they're probably the same as a bag of crisps (certainly the lentil curls are), but the bags are smaller so the cals are under 100. For the 'Proper Corn' popcorn, it's 63 cals for a 14g bag of sweet & salty or 42 cals for a 10g bag of the lightly salted.

I don't often eat chocolate but, if I do, a couple of squares of good quality dark chocolate is usually enough. I went through a period of buying dark chocolate coated rice cakes. Very tasty but, after a few months, I just stopped buying them as I'd moved on to having a handful of almonds or an apple as a mid afternoon snack (if needed) instead. Often I'll mix some chia seeds in to some plain (soya) yoghurt and leave it in the fridge - by the afternoon, that gives me a pudding which is quite filling. Very very occasionally, I might stir some dried blueberries into the chia pudding for a bit of sweetness.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn instead of chips! Lots of yummy flavorings with a very light spraying will be a lot less calories. Do you eat normal chips or baked ones? For me I have to have filling foods it just doesn't work for me to have a little portion. I hope you find what works for you!

LORD JESUS bless 🌷
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth. Prunes satisfy it. I happen to love prunes, so that helps. Perhaps give them a shot?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

You dont have a "sweet" tooth, but a sugar/fat combination tooth. Best wishes, but for some of us, those kinds of foods, put us down a bad path. Find your center.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

You dont have a "sweet" tooth, but a sugar/fat combination tooth. Best wishes, but for some of us, those kinds of foods, put us down a bad path. Find your center.

yup. me too ;)

Reduce portion size, and find a way to fit that reduced size into your daily calories. You can still eat them, just not in the larger portion sizes.