Can drinking too much water slow weight loss?

CatholicCurtis
CatholicCurtis Posts: 22 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I drink a lot of water even though I have a very sedentary lifestyle. Just recording it today in my diary because I usually don't count it and drank around 186 oz. Could drinking a lot of water stop weight loss due to water weight or does drinking a lot of water contribute more to weight loss? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Replies

• CatholicCurtis
    I can definitely see how water can clear out your system especially after those bad days when you give in to old, bad habits. I just never realized how much water I drank on a given day even though Thursdays are usually bad due to my flextime schedule that day and I end up drinking a bit more due to just trying to stay awake as I drink the water with that great value strawberry energy drink mix.

I'm just trying to make sure there is nothing I'm doing to sabotage my weight loss. I've lost about 36 lbs since October and just got to keep on chugging along. Hopefully will get back down to my weight goal of 180 by the end of 2021.

Thank you for the information. It is very much appreciated.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    Energy drink mix calories and "caffeine" content
  • CatholicCurtis
    I'm sure you are aware that some of those drink mixes have calories...you're probably using a sugar-free one.

I would just caution against trying to manipulate the scale with fluids. Your body does a pretty good job of letting you know when it needs liquid.

Are you drinking that energy mix because it has caffeine or something? I've never heard of it...caffeine has its own set of problems for me. Careful with that. I'd say if you are using caffeine in large quantities there's something else going on.

I drink it just because it gives the water some flavor. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not. I list it on my diary every time I use it though.

I think I drink so much water because I usually have small snacks throughout the day with cereal bars, dried apricots, etc. and have a water every time so it adds up. I've always been that way for years now. It isn't a new habit or feeling thirsty per se.

I know there's no way I need to drink that much water. Wasnt even aware how much I was drinking until I started tracking it with other foods yesterday. Time to slow down a bit. Thanks for the reply and for everybody else that has chimed in too. It is very much appreciated.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,187 Member
    Omg you must be in the bathroom all the time.
    I feel healthiest when I drink a lot of water. I find keeping it ice cold makes it more refreshing and delicious and then you don't need to add any flavours to it

That's all I really have to add. I don't think it adds to weight gain because you're usually clearing it out in the bathroom.
  • CatholicCurtis
    Omg you must be in the bathroom all the time.
    I feel healthiest when I drink a lot of water. I find keeping it ice cold makes it more refreshing and delicious and then you don't need to add any flavours to it

That's all I really have to add. I don't think it adds to weight gain because you're usually clearing it out in the bathroom.

Not really all the time. Just a few times a day without getting into too much unneeded detail haha I love water cold but not ice cold. Thats how my wife likes it. I don't need ice chips in my bottled water. Going to try to lessen up on the water a bit. Maybe get down to about six bottles in a 24 hour period and see how it goes. ;)
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    I definitely drink as much as you do, and no, for me it has only helped my weight loss. I started drinking a minimum of 120oz while I was pregnant and I’ve just gotten used to it and I’m always thirsty when I drink less.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    For perspective, you are drinking 12 lbs of water weight a day (186 fluid oz).
    Obviously this can cause big swings in your scale weight depending on when you drank or flushed.
    I found that consistently weighing first thing in the morning helped minimize the swing
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    It is recommended to drink half your body weight in oz.
  • Bridgie3
    Bridgie3 Posts: 139 Member
    edited March 2022
    I just found out that's over 5 litres or 25 cups.

Diabeetus. Diabeetus, diabeetus, diabeetus. She says, fondly. I sure can drink that much if I don't take my diabetes meds, and eat things like fruit or drink too much milk (I love milk).

My suggestion is go to the doctor and get yourself tested for diabetes mellitis. If you have the diabeetus you will dehydrate even drinking that much.

And you run the risk of losing things like eyesight, toes, fingers, penises, kidneys.
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    haymancm wrote: »
    It is recommended to drink half your body weight in oz.

By who?
  • Xellercin
    Bridgie3 wrote: »
    I just found out that's over 5 litres or 25 cups.

Diabeetus. Diabeetus, diabeetus, diabeetus. She says, fondly. I sure can drink that much if I don't take my diabetes meds, and eat things like fruit or drink too much milk (I love milk).

My suggestion is go to the doctor and get yourself tested for diabetes mellitis. If you have the diabeetus you will dehydrate even drinking that much.

And you run the risk of losing things like eyesight, toes, fingers, penises, kidneys.

I know you are getting disagrees, but I 100% agree with you that OP should mention this to their doctor.

There are numerous illnesses that can cause this type of excessive water drinking.

Someone who feel comfortable drinking that much water every day and who isn't forcing themselves to drink that much should DEFINITELY be checked out. No question.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    edited March 2022
    OP posted this question a year ago and last logged in on March 21st 2021.

While it might still be an interesting discussion topic, any advice specifically for her probably won't be seen now.
  • Xellercin
    OP posted this question a year ago and last logged in on March 21st 2021.

While it might still be an interesting discussion topic, any advice specifically for her probably won't be seen now.

ugh, I missed that