Exercising and Depression

Options
Hey guys, I find that every time I go for a walk, work out, or anything of sorts, I always feel down or depressed, sometimes to the verge of suicidal contemplation. I used to be suicidal about a year ago but have gotten better since, except when I exercise. When I talk to my psychiatrist or therapist about this, they keep telling me to continue working out as it releases endorphins, but for me, either endorphin are not released or something else is going on. Do any of you have possible explanations and how to get around it? I almost always find myself feeling like crap every time I work out or exercise, and I have no idea why. This is my first time posting here so please don't insult or barrage me, I'm just trying to figure out what might be going on.

Replies

• glasstapper
    glasstapper Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel sad or exhausted when I have to put energy out for a run. What's helped me is good medication and doing exercise with things I enjoy. Depression makes willpower really hard and it can feel crushing to do something so different from hiding in the couch.

Do you enjoy walks? If not, find something you do! Getting fit in other ways can lead up to enjoying cardio. I like following Blogilates on YouTube, working out with my boyfriend, and group exercise classes. I hope those help you!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Is the exercise low intensity, like walking where you have lots of time to simply THINK, or is it high intensity where it’s perhaps more difficult to have your mind wander because you are working so hard in the moment?
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    It could be related to your past experience with exercise, or missed expectations. Are you thinking anything that shows up as a pattern at these times?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I find listening to a good audio book while I walk is really helpful in keeping my mind off other things. Hope this helps! Hugs...
  • mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I have always despised exercise, and struggle with horrible anxiety, but knew it was something I needed to do for my health. I was at my heaviest last January. Here's what helped me: I purchased a couple of workout outfits I liked, I downloaded the Libby app and chose audiobooks, I downloaded the Pandora app and created playlists, and then I started walking. It's taken time, but I've grown to appreciate the walks. The best part, other than workout gear, walking is free. I live in Illinois and while the winters are brutal, there have been a total of 16 days in 15 months when walking wasn't possible due to the weather. Otherwise, I just bundle up, where waterproof shoes, etc. to ensure I keep going despite the weather. I've dropped 76lbs and while my diet is the biggest reason for my weight loss, the walking has made a huge difference in how I feel and I burn a ton of calories doing it.
  • planktonbye
    planktonbye Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Maybe your blood sugar is dropping? I'm not an exercise physiologist--just a shot in the dark. Try some juice before working out?
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    melgirinik wrote: »
    Hey guys, I find that every time I go for a walk, work out, or anything of sorts, I always feel down or depressed, sometimes to the verge of suicidal contemplation. I used to be suicidal about a year ago but have gotten better since, except when I exercise. When I talk to my psychiatrist or therapist about this, they keep telling me to continue working out as it releases endorphins, but for me, either endorphin are not released or something else is going on. Do any of you have possible explanations and how to get around it? I almost always find myself feeling like crap every time I work out or exercise, and I have no idea why. This is my first time posting here so please don't insult or barrage me, I'm just trying to figure out what might be going on.

Yes, I have one , I had a period of time where I was exercising so much that my level of dopamine which usually it is good to be high, has increased so much that I felt with headaches and Burning my head daily
    So you need to talk to yr doctor and ask if he can see what is the level of yr dopamine
    I personally succeeded to equilibrate it after a treatment and then go back again to a normal level of exercise and of dopamine
    Good luck in solving this!
  • tariqari
    tariqari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It’s just one of those things that you gotta play day by day. You have to develop an instinct (just sorta came about for me) that tells you ‘if I go out today, I might collapse outside,’ for example.

If you think you can over come it, then try. Any effort is better than no effort. But it’s okay to just not work out at all on a particular day.
  • tariqari
    tariqari Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I wanna second the youtubers comment. Fitness youtube and progress/transformation videos really helped me stay motivated and disciplined on days where I couldnt do anything. On a day you can’t work out you can STILL maintain a calorie deficit :) Or at least maintain your BMR :D which would mean you didn’t lose nor gain.
  • ollartyde
    ollartyde Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• ollartyde
    ollartyde Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are able too - I would recommend you do HIIT workout it’s keeps my mind off things and somedays when I feel like walking I listen to fast music *I like Dancehall, afrobeat, raggaeton or just hip hop* that gets my energy up. Those work for me I hope it helps.. Hugs
  • eater_78
    eater_78 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you had bloods done recently? Maybe your iron or vit D levels are low or maybe your hormones are off? It's always a good idea to rule out the physical causes as these are easy to treat.

I'm not a very sporty person and working out rarely makes me happy. For me the solution that worked well in the past was changing workouts frequently (loads of them on youtube so it's easy to choose)
  • ninasnonsense
    ninasnonsense Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh man, depressed brains are made of *kitten*, I can sympathize. I'd definitely see about getting a blood test done, just to make sure there's nothing easy to spot causing it.

Does come on as a mood crash as soon as you're done or does it build as you're exercising?