Juicing and working out calories

Options
how do I work out calories for a homemade juice? I know the calorie count will be different for each of the fruit / vegetables I have juiced than if i had eaten them but cant find anything online to help me work it out for a juice I made today... H.E.L.P anyone? :cry:
heres a breakdown of what was in it: 2 carrots (medium), 1 small kiwifruit, 1 small pear, half a lemon..

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Make a new Recipe, there's a tab called Recipes on your food page where you can create your own. Enter all of the ingredients in your juice, and calculate the number of servings it makes. Wahlah!
  • Amy_hum
    Amy_hum Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Create a recipe including all of the items you juiced under the food tab. Will give you a nutritional breakdown.
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I just stick my fruits, milk and orange juice in the blender and hit the smoothie button. I count all the calories because I basically mashed and chopped my fruit w/ skins on ( minus any type of seeds ) and I drink it that way. I add about 16 oz. ice to make it a thick and icy cold smoothie...yum! Honestly, I only drink my fruits. now that I think about it. I eat my veggies, I love my salads!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    can weigh the items before juicing and weigh what you're tossing out.... the difference is what you've got in your juice.

Also

voila
    (used to express success or satisfaction). Voilà, my new winter outfit!
  • Pinky67
    Pinky67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would do the recipie thing, basically you are taking out all the goodness (ie: calories) and throwing away fibres etc...which just pass through us un-digested and uncounted (calories) anyway...Hope that helps :drinker:
  • Corby86
    Corby86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You will need to use the calories for each individual ingredient (as if it was still whole) because by juicing you are only removing the vegetable / fruit cellulose (which passes through our system without adding calories anyway) with juicing you are still consuming the calories (which will be mostly sugar if you use fruit)

You should also bare in mind that by removing the fiber from your fruits you are increasing the glycemic index of it (the fiber helps to lower the GI) so you might cause a blood sugar spike by having juice... as dieters we need to try & keep our blood sugar levels as stable as possible