Dangers of very low calories

Options
I’m curious on everyone’s thoughts on very low calorie diets. I often hear the rhetoric that one shouldn’t go below 1200 calories because it is “dangerous”. If I put aside the valid arguments around eating disorders and proper nutrition (let’s assume one takes multi-vitamins to supplement), wouldn’t the energy balance equation take care of itself. Eating in an energy deficit would just mean my energy (calories out) would come from either the food I ingest or my body’s stores (glycogen or fat). If my body’s reserves ran out, I might enter the danger zone however, if I have a lot of fat, that could take some time. So is it just a perpetuated myth of some “dangerous” threshold one shouldn’t go below or is there something else to it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    jogman wrote: »
    So is it just a perpetuated myth of some “dangerous” threshold one shouldn’t go below or is there something else to it?

The 1200 threshold is kind of arbitrary, like the "drink 8 glasses of water" advice and "walk 10,000 steps". It depends on your size & activity level - a sedentary, small female might do fine under 1200 for a while, but 1500 could be too low for a highly active male. I'd say your calorie deficit is a more important threshold. Over about a 1500 deficit (3 lbs/week) increases the risk of gall stones, which can be life-threatening, so it should be medically supervised.. especially if you have other medical conditions.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    The things I have not seen mentioned here are:

Too fast on the fat loss and you risk gallbladder issues.
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/gallstones#:~:text=As the body metabolizes fat,to become overconcentrated with cholesterol.

From there: Rapid weight loss. As the body metabolizes fat during rapid weight loss, it causes the liver to secrete extra cholesterol into bile, which can cause gallstones.

Also: You need fat to absorb some vitamins. Fat in particular.
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    There are a million reasons I could go into but one big one for me was sleep. I fell asleep everyday in the middle of the day. I couldn't control it. It went on for years just falling asleep in class which was bad but it was manageable. The worst was at work however. I literally fell asleep in one on one convos in my boss. I got about 7-7.5 hours of sleep a night so I knew it wasn't that, and I was sure it wasn't narcolepsy. Once I started eating normal I soon noticed the problem went away.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    7rainbow wrote: »
    There are a million reasons I could go into but one big one for me was sleep. I fell asleep everyday in the middle of the day. I couldn't control it. It went on for years just falling asleep in class which was bad but it was manageable. The worst was at work however. I literally fell asleep in one on one convos in my boss. I got about 7-7.5 hours of sleep a night so I knew it wasn't that, and I was sure it wasn't narcolepsy. Once I started eating normal I soon noticed the problem went away.

I had the opposite problem when I accidentally went too low (I was underestimating my activity level and exercise calories). I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, even when I felt exhausted. Like you, once I began eating more it resolved.