what to do?

Options
pipinana
pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
:explode: I just got yelled at by my boss. I was this stupid shipping error that turned into way more. We've been having problems with a customer of ours not paying their bill right? So we have it set up that they can but an order in, we'll process it, but won't ship till they send a check in. Well.... I had given the orders to the production manager, and told him that we'd most likely be ready to ship by Friday. Well, my boss goes out to ask the PR how the orders are going. He replies "well, I told cyppy that I wasn't going to get it ready, and that I wouldn't ship it till we got the check - she was fine with that." So, without even asking me if this is what happened, he comes up to my desk in front of everyone and starts yelling at me! Finally, he takes me into the conference room, and proceeds to tell me that I always go over his head, that I try to undermined him, that I never do what he tells me to do. I have never felt so little in my life! I didn't know what to do....

So I'm crying, every time I try to open my mouth to explain, he interrupts me... So I eventually said, "OK, I'm not going to have this conversation with just you and I. We can either get your brother (the president) or the HR manager, but we need to have someone else in the room. He got his brother. So now I'm sitting in there with two of the three owners..... AWKWARD.

The president actually sided with me. He told my boss that he was overreacting, and made him listen to my side of the story. That the way I left it with the production manager was that he didn't necessarily have to 'make' the orders, but to make sure that he had enough product on the shelves, so that when they called saying their check was on the way, that we would be able to ship THAT DAY. I also specifically told him that it would most likely be Friday that we would ship.... He still said that I went over his head.... Did I?

Now, I have a big problem working with my boss. I think he's wicked funny, and would probably be a blast to hang out with outside of the office, but he's awful to work for or with! He never remembers what he says, never follows through with anything, makes me feel stupid, changes the 'rules' ALL the time. I'm not a slow learner, I do my job, I'm hear EVERY single day, I never complain, and I think I'm a good employee. I've been here a year, and have never had a review.... Why, if I'm doing such a horrible job, did they not take me aside, give me a review?

IDK, sorry to bother everyone, but I'm really upset, and don't know what to do. I know I can be over sensitive sometimes.... Maybe I'm doing it now? I just want to have a good cry...... I'm just glad it's Friday, and I don't have to come back here till Monday.....

Thanks for listening...... :embarassed:

Replies

• pipinana
    Options
    :explode: I just got yelled at by my boss. I was this stupid shipping error that turned into way more. We've been having problems with a customer of ours not paying their bill right? So we have it set up that they can but an order in, we'll process it, but won't ship till they send a check in. Well.... I had given the orders to the production manager, and told him that we'd most likely be ready to ship by Friday. Well, my boss goes out to ask the PR how the orders are going. He replies "well, I told cyppy that I wasn't going to get it ready, and that I wouldn't ship it till we got the check - she was fine with that." So, without even asking me if this is what happened, he comes up to my desk in front of everyone and starts yelling at me! Finally, he takes me into the conference room, and proceeds to tell me that I always go over his head, that I try to undermined him, that I never do what he tells me to do. I have never felt so little in my life! I didn't know what to do....

So I'm crying, every time I try to open my mouth to explain, he interrupts me... So I eventually said, "OK, I'm not going to have this conversation with just you and I. We can either get your brother (the president) or the HR manager, but we need to have someone else in the room. He got his brother. So now I'm sitting in there with two of the three owners..... AWKWARD.

The president actually sided with me. He told my boss that he was overreacting, and made him listen to my side of the story. That the way I left it with the production manager was that he didn't necessarily have to 'make' the orders, but to make sure that he had enough product on the shelves, so that when they called saying their check was on the way, that we would be able to ship THAT DAY. I also specifically told him that it would most likely be Friday that we would ship.... He still said that I went over his head.... Did I?

Now, I have a big problem working with my boss. I think he's wicked funny, and would probably be a blast to hang out with outside of the office, but he's awful to work for or with! He never remembers what he says, never follows through with anything, makes me feel stupid, changes the 'rules' ALL the time. I'm not a slow learner, I do my job, I'm hear EVERY single day, I never complain, and I think I'm a good employee. I've been here a year, and have never had a review.... Why, if I'm doing such a horrible job, did they not take me aside, give me a review?

IDK, sorry to bother everyone, but I'm really upset, and don't know what to do. I know I can be over sensitive sometimes.... Maybe I'm doing it now? I just want to have a good cry...... I'm just glad it's Friday, and I don't have to come back here till Monday.....

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Sorry :flowerforyou:

Hope your day gets better.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Double post. Guess I REALLY hope your day gets better. :happy:
  • pipinana
    Options
    Double post. Guess I REALLY hope your day gets better. :happy:

:laugh: thanks... :flowerforyou:
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    hugs:flowerforyou:

crappy bosses are the worst! don't worry too much about it. as long as you know you're doing your job right, you should be fine. i'm sure everyone knows your boss is a douche, and is sympathizing with you right now! props to you for calling another owner to mediate/witness that situation. and you should demand to have annual performance reviews, this is the norm in every job i've ever had.

em:heart:
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up. Once the weekend begins you can forget about this mess and have a good time.

Hope your day gets much better.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Being yelled at by anyone sux!!! :angry:

Sorry - hope you have a great weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    sorry to hear that, that stinks.....yeah sometimes you just have to let iit roll off, i defenitely wouldnt hang after work with him and thats just PLAIN RUDE not to hear you out...........he needs some stress management right? lol yeah its friday get a big DAQUIRI..............................
  • rwinston
    rwinston Posts: 7
    Options
    Ouch! That is horrible.

I know what it's like to be sensitive to other people's anger and I hate, hate, hate to be yelled at. It makes me cry every time.

It seems like the guy was completely out of line, but you handled it wonderfully. Even though you were emotionally upset, you kept a clear head (you insisted on a 3rd party coming in to help the situation) and you got through it. And obviously, you were able to explain your side of things so that the president understood and agreed with you. You can't help how irrational other people may get. I think you did a great job in the situation.

I've worked with people who forget what they've said and argue about it later. Now, I take note. If you have office email, you can send him a note re-iterating whatever you agreed that day like, "Just sending a quick note to confirm that when X happens, we will handle it like this..." If you don't have email at work, you can just keep a notebook where you jot down the date and any important info and who was in on the conversation. It's harder for people to argue with someone who takes notes.

Have a good weekend and be proud that you DID calm the situation and you took the right actions to settle the matter as best as you could.
  • pipinana
    Options
    hugs:flowerforyou:

crappy bosses are the worst! don't worry too much about it. as long as you know you're doing your job right, you should be fine. i'm sure everyone knows your boss is a douche, and is sympathizing with you right now! props to you for calling another owner to mediate/witness that situation. and you should demand to have annual performance reviews, this is the norm in every job i've ever had.

em:heart:

Yeah, well I was supposed to have one after 30 60 and 90 days... Oh and also at a year..... :laugh: He's VERY forgetfull.... To me it's just plain disrespecful of your employees. OH well..... :ohwell:
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Unfortunatly there are bosses like this all across the country. I actually looked to see where you lived becuse it sounds so familiar!!:laugh: Hang in there!!
  • pipinana
    Options
    Ouch! That is horrible.

I know what it's like to be sensitive to other people's anger and I hate, hate, hate to be yelled at. It makes me cry every time.

It seems like the guy was completely out of line, but you handled it wonderfully. Even though you were emotionally upset, you kept a clear head (you insisted on a 3rd party coming in to help the situation) and you got through it. And obviously, you were able to explain your side of things so that the president understood and agreed with you. You can't help how irrational other people may get. I think you did a great job in the situation.

I've worked with people who forget what they've said and argue about it later. Now, I take note. If you have office email, you can send him a note re-iterating whatever you agreed that day like, "Just sending a quick note to confirm that when X happens, we will handle it like this..." If you don't have email at work, you can just keep a notebook where you jot down the date and any important info and who was in on the conversation. It's harder for people to argue with someone who takes notes.

Have a good weekend and be proud that you DID calm the situation and you took the right actions to settle the matter as best as you could.

LOL, it's funny you say that I should write everything down. I started that about a month after I started here..... haha!

I guess I didn't look at it as I was the one who diffused the situation. You're right, I did.... Although at the time I just wanted to throttle him! :devil: Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • pipinana
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone - :flowerforyou: :heart:

NOW............. I'm going to forget this mess, and enjoy my weekend! I'm not going to let him get me down any longer...... Daquri here I come (just one, cuz I don't want to go over my cals - ha)! :smokin: