Healthy just isn't about food and exercise

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
Addressing the 2 above are pretty much what the many people may attribute to being healthy. If someone is seen fit looking, they eat nutritiously and they are seen exercising on a regular basis, most would likely assume they are healthy.
But there are so many other factors that attribute to good health. One could be perfect in eating and exercise, BUT if they lack sleep, have high stress levels, have bad family health issues, live in an environment not conducive to reducing some of the above mentioned, or are just plain unhappy even with all that being okay, then their health isn't optimal.
It's rare to find someone who actually checks off on all the criteria, but food and exercise seem to be the main consensus that someone doing those 2 right, is a healthy person.
I've had a couple of clients who were like that, but were overstressed and hardly ever had good sleep. Which gave both of them high BP too.
So if your goal is to get healthy, make sure you look at the other things that are part of good health. You might find that if you just those taken care of, eating and exercise will be the easy part of getting healthier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Good health encompasses not only the physical but also the mental and emotional.
  • pourmonsoleil
    pourmonsoleil Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "What is the WHO definition of health?

Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.

The bibliographic citation for this definition is: Preamble to the Constitution of WHO as adopted by the International Health Conference, New York, 19 June - 22 July 1946; signed on 22 July 1946 by the representatives of 61 States (Official Records of WHO, no. 2, p. 100) and entered into force on 7 April 1948. The definition has not been amended since 1948."

Copied from: https://www.who.int/about/who-we-are/frequently-asked-questions
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    People are usually shocked to hear I've had hypertension since my 30s. (Thanks, dad) I sure don't look like a "typical" hypertension patient.

Yes to mental, emotional and dental health being essential components of the whole picture. Social support networks are an important contributor to mental and emotional health, something that can be lacking for elderly people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna add “dental health” to the list as well. You can eat right, exercise, get enough sleep and manage stress but still have unhealthy teeth and gums that can lead anywhere from simple yuck-mouth to inflammation and plaque that contributes to heart disease and infections. Visit your dentist regularly! :#:#:# Also gonna add getting yearly bloodwork and a physical from your GP to prevent and catch health issues early when they are easier to treat. Although I realize it’s not easy and can be cost prohibitive for many, especially if you don’t have insurance, these measures go a long way to maintaining a good quality of life.
    Excellent add to the list!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    100% agree on this!

I've been taking steps to not only improve my physical health, but my financial heath, mental health, and improve my education.

I feel better than I ever have in my life.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    This is so true, and I think something a lot of people lose sight of (myself including) when trying to lose weight.

For so long, I thought being healthy was eating well and exercising. I also think part of that is the American culture--we seem obsessed with appearances and looking like we're doing well, ESPECIALLY now because of social media. I think we're at least starting to acknowledge more the importance of taking care of our mental health, but I still don't think we know what that really means or looks like.

I will say that now that I feel like I have healthy eating, a healthy weight and a good exercise routine under control, I am now better able to focus on those other aspects of health as well.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Precision nutrition talk about deep health in their literature. Physical and mental and spiritual wellness. I like it as a concept.