Best solution for sore muscles after first 5k

Options
I am very excited that I finished my first virtual 5k. Haven't done a 5k in more than 5 yrs. I'm 59, out of shape and overweight. I paid for the race in the summer and I was determined to do that 5k to get my t-shirt and medal. I walk for bling. I ended up doing a shuffle-jog which I'm sure was hilarious if anyone witnessed it. Thank heavens it was virtual and no one was awake yet in the neighborhood.

Anyway I am hurting today. I know too much, too fast, too soon. My knees had been hurting before the race but that was probably arthritis or the pronation in my feet.

I'm fine until I have to get up. Knees don't really hurt. It's the muscles on the top of the thigh. The big one above the knee that are super tight and sore.
And I'm having truble getting up from a seated position. I can do it just very sore. Also once I get going I'm less sore.

Any suggestions for working out the kinks til they get back to normal?

I did 3.27 miles in 1:10 for a 21 min. mile. Not breaking any records but I'm still proud I did it!

Next race I will be better prepared and it isn't until May. Another 5k.

Looking for tips on the soreness and not getting injured.

Replies

• clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    Stretch, stretch, stretch! Of course the optimal time to stretch would’ve been when you finished. I would stretch ham strings, quads, hip flexors and calves at least. You can look up how to stretch those because I’m sure the site will include diagrams.
    Remember, it takes the muscles at least 20 seconds to know what you’re trying to do when you stretch, so hold each stretch longer than that. I would go back and do each stretch a second time after you’ve gone thru each stretch once.
    Soaking in a bath with Epsom salts can help as well.
    If all else fails, there’s always Aleeve or ibuprofen if you have no contraindications.
    Good luck and GREAT JOB!!🎉
  • katvg17
    katvg17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like clutterqueen says, stretch afterwards! Try dynamic stretching and a warm up walk or jog prior to the run; cool down walk and then static stretches after. Active recovery the next day, walk around and keep the blood flowing through the muscles.
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you’re pat the time but also let’s clarify stretching- dynamic stretching is probably a good idea- static stretching cold muscles is not a great plan. (Like kalv said). And don’t neglect the cool down (she said after knowing very well she neglects every cool down haha).

Also adequately hydrate before and after and refuel. For a 5k, you won’t need much- maybe 125-150 calories to replenish based on exertion. Chocolate milk is popular. I also like to replenish with an Emergen-c after since hard effort can weaken immunity.

I also invested in an ice roller that I use on my calves/quads immediately after a run. Ice constricts blood flow and stems inflammation. A hot bath or shower a few hours later is also great.

The other thing is to keep at it. Run or run/walk 3 times a week and strength train the muscles you need to run.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,037 Member
    Options
    I'm fine until I have to get up. Knees don't really hurt. It's the muscles on the top of the thigh. The big one above the knee that are super tight and sore.
    And I'm having truble getting up from a seated position. I can do it just very sore. Also once I get going I'm less sore.

Don't sit for long periods of time.
    Get up and walk around. Do housework. Go for a walk around your neighbourhood. Move.

• carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. I did it all wrong. Didn't train, didn't eat breakfast til I got back and then we sat in the car for a 2 1/2 hour drive to my son's for a visit so by the time we got there everything was so tight I could hardly move. I did drink my water and I walked most of it.

Thanks to ya'lls tips I did the foam roller and several stretches and I was amazed at the difference!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I just food prepped for the week which kept me on my feet for awhile so I'm headed back to the mat for a little more stretching.

You can't over stretch, can you?

Baby steps. Thanks again!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,579 Member
    Options
    Sometimes self-massage can help loosen things up. If you have a foam roller, use it. If not, you can use a regular rolling pin on your quads (those front-of-thighs muscles). Rolling a tennis ball or lacrosse ball on the muscles is another option. If nothing else, just massage with your hands.

No need to go overboard, but this is a good time to be sure you get adequate water or other hydration.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    A hot bath can help a lot. I like using epsom salts, but they aren't necessary.

Next time remember to keep moving gently for a while after you stop running. When I did my first marathon, I sat down for a few minutes right after crossing the finish line and ended up with horrible leg cramps. Then I couldn't stand up and could barely walk. Stairs were impossible for about 3 days. Even getting off the toilet was painful. I learned that I need to keep walking until the lactic acid in my legs dissipates. Being in better shape helps a lot too.

It's best to build up to a new distance gradually. Doing a lot more than you are used to doing is likely to end painfully.
  • dolorsit
    dolorsit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Search for treatments for DOMS, e.g. https://www.healthline.com/health/doms