Lower back pain from crunches

Options
Hi everyone!

When I do crunches I get pain in my lower back after a couple repititions and that makes it super uncomfortable. The pain diminishes quickly after I stop doing the exercise. I suspect it's from me having hyperlordosis (not diagnosed by a doctor, but it's pretty obvious). So I'm wondering what I could do about that? Any ideas what other exercises to do? I guess I shouldn't do crunches if they're giving me pain 🤔

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Have you considered getting an actual diagnosis in order to be referred for proper physical therapy?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I agree you need to get a proper diagnosis and find out the proper exercises for your issue. Crunches aren't a great thing to do for most people, especially if you have back issues to begin with.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend a proper diagnosis as others have said. I was diagnosed with this in high school and was able to learn a lot from my physical therapy - I'm still doing some of the exercises 15 years later. :)
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've always thought crunches were a terrible exercise from a physiological standpoint. Do something different;

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/10-core-exercises-better-your-back-body-crunches-ncna837976
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with lordosis and I was instructed to do modified crunches only after certain back stretches. You could start with specific back training exercises for lordosis and slowly work your way to other type of exercises. Avoid anything painful and consult a doctor or physical therapist!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    How about planks if you're trying to strengthen your core?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    How about planks if you're trying to strengthen your core?

If OP genuinely has hyperlordosis, they are unlikely to be able to achieve proper form for planks until they have addressed that.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Try doing some lower-back strengthening exercises....but yeah, probably look into actually being diagnosed....it could be any numbers of things causing lower back pain.

Superman poses
    Bridges
    Squats
    Dead lifts
    Side Planks.

Pay attention to the positioning of all of those exercises (including the crunches you're doing) to make sure you're not doing more damage by having bad posture or movement through the exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Traditional crunches and sit-ups are not particularly good exercises...they don't actually hit your abs or core particularly good and they can be very hard on the back and neck. You actually end up using your hip flexors more than anything.

hanging leg raises
    ab wheel
    Leg lifts
    planks

Those are my primary exercises for core isolation...but yeah, if you think hyperlordosis, you need to get that addressed.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Definitely seek help from a physical therapist or even personal trainer to help you, especially if you have lower back issues in general.

My guess is that your low back is actually taking over for your abs in crunches, so I wouldn't advise more back strengthening exercises. It's more likely that your abs and glutes are weaker, so the back compensates for this and is actually over-worked (something I know about personally).

Here is an article from the Redefining Strength website. I personally find her information very valuable, as someone who has a lot of muscular imbalances (in PT currently yet again) and chronic aches and pains. If anything, it may be a good starting point for you.

https://redefiningstrength.com/stop-letting-your-low-back-take-over-25-lower-ab-exercises-and-workout/