Zero calorie drink options

SDS7777
SDS7777 Posts: 2 Member
I’m looking for more drink options during the fasting part of the day. I do not drink diet drinks with aspartame. I do not drink coffee. I do drink unsweetened tea. Is Zevia zero calorie calorie sweetened with stevia ok?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited March 2021
    Ok for what exactly? Why wouldn't it be ok? Fasting - I presume intermittent fasting, it is just a way of controlling your calorie intake, if the drinks have no or very little calories, why would it make any difference?

If you're looking for zero calorie drinks:
    • Water
    • Flavoured Water
    • Diet Drinks that don't contain aspartame (if you're not partial to the taste)
    • Fruit Tea
    • Herbal Tea
    • Black Tea
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Aspartame isn't dangerous nor does it cause cancer as claimed (at least not in humans). For me, Diet Pepsi and Gatorade zero are go to's.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Can you share what your criteria is for deciding a drink is "okay"? That might help you get more specific answers, as many of us who have looked at the evidence have determined that diet drinks and coffee are "okay."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Can you share what your criteria is for deciding a drink is "okay"? That might help you get more specific answers, as many of us who have looked at the evidence have determined that diet drinks and coffee are "okay."

Yeah, this ^^

You already eliminated my two calorie-free drinks, black coffee and Coke Zero.
  • SDS7777
    SDS7777 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a sensitivity to aspartame. My question is does stevia (if in a zero calorie drink) cause your body any affects that defeat the purpose of the 23 hour fast?
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    SDS7777 wrote: »
    I have a sensitivity to aspartame. My question is does stevia (if in a zero calorie drink) cause your body any affects that defeat the purpose of the 23 hour fast?

what is the purpose of your 23 hour fast?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

What, beyond calorie restriction, is the purpose of the 23 hour fast?

Things I drink regularly:

Lightly flavored seltzer water with no sweetener (current brand Crystal Geyser)
    Herbal teas - I sometimes have four different flavors in the cupboard. Some are better hot, some are better as iced tea
    Water with a spritz of lemon or lime
    Water with Ultima or Nuun hydration mixes
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

Why do you need to fast for 23 hours?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

The only "purpose" of a 23 hour fast would be to deprive your body of food for 23 hours, so I don't think a zero calorie beverage would defeat that purpose at all. If you're doing this for other purposes, I guess you'd have to evaluate if drinking a calorie-free drink would fit with those.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Water?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Is Zevia zero calorie calorie sweetened with stevia ok?

If it's OK for you then it's OK. There isn't any higher authority for your choices so you can make your own rules.

Many "zero calorie" drinks actually do contain a very few calories (under 5), not that I would see that as any cause for concern. What effects from a tiny amount of calories are you thinking may occur?
  • timhoch50
    timhoch50 Posts: 11 Member
    There are 0 calorie energy drinks if that's something that you need.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Water, carbonated water, water with lemon or some other citrus. The flavored carbonated drinks are decent, Bubly claims to use 'all natural' ingredients....whatever that means :)