BMI?

Options
Alrighty, the world's debate. Is BMI an accurate way to measure if your weight is healthy? I want to make sure I stay a healthy weight, however I know some people use BMI and others claim it is "outdated, horrible, yaddy yaddy yada". So... What should one weigh? I'm a 5'6 female and am trying to figure out! 😅 The BMI scale I saw said 115-150 lbs. Is this good or totally off?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do you not think that you can find your personal healthy weight within that wide range?
    If not - why not?

Have you previously been somewhere in that range in your adult life? How did it feel to you?

This. It's a wide range, most women are at a healthy weight somewhere within it, but if you don't think it works for you there are other ways to determine a healthy weight.

I didn't use it, as I knew I liked how I looked at 120-125 and that happened to be within the range for me (5'3).
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I try to look at BMI the way I do the scale. It's a piece of the picture, but it is very limited in what it can tell you.

I've also never been at a healthy weight, so for me I have my goal set to the middle of the healthy range for my height and I'll reevaluate as I get closer.

Nobody can say for sure what your ideal weight ought to be, since we're all a bit different as far as body composition goes. It might be a good idea to take a similar stance as me: set a rough goal and see how you feel as you approach it. You can always change it later to either lose more weight, regain some, maybe try lifting weights, etc.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    7rainbow wrote: »
    Alrighty, the world's debate. Is BMI an accurate way to measure if your weight is healthy? I want to make sure I stay a healthy weight, however I know some people use BMI and others claim it is "outdated, horrible, yaddy yaddy yada". So... What should one weigh? I'm a 5'6 female and am trying to figure out! 😅 The BMI scale I saw said 115-150 lbs. Is this good or totally off?

for the vast majority of people, yes, BMI is a pretty accurate guide to whether you are a healthy weight.
    Sure, there are some obvious outliers - but is usually obvious if you are one of them.

It doesn't tell you exactly what you should weigh but it does give you a range and it is highly unlikely you will be at a healthy weight if you are not within the range or at most slightly out of it..

As was pointed out upthread and as I have said in such threads before, sporty young men ( not elite bodybuilders, just regular active youngish men) can be slightly beyond the range and still be at a healthy weight.
    Slightly ie with a BMI of say 27 or 28.

It is worth taking such factors into account when deciding where in the range is likely to apply to you best.

Me as a middle aged, not that sporty woman, who had a BMI of 28 - wasn't out of the range because young and muscular, was out of the range because plain old overweight.
    Conversely I am not a teenage girl and I am not trying to get to a BMI of 20, which might of been healthy for me 30 years ago

I think for me settling at a BMI of 23 is ideal.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    BMI is a range and I look at it as I look at the weight scale ranges , it's not the end all and be all to determine how healthy someone is or not. I think you have to take many other factors in your life into consideration along with your BMI to conclude your overall health and fitness. I think that's why it is in a range, because someone 20 years old and someone 50 years old although the same weight wouldn't necessarily have the same BMI. I am currently in the middle of my range and am very comfortable with it. If I was at the lower end of the range I would be rail thin and look sickly and unhealthy. This is just my opinion and I am sure you will get many on the subject and I am sure some will disagree with me, but again it's my opinion and it works for me.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I suspect that people’s issue with BMI is that there are better metrics? Like BF%, waist size or waist to hip ratio.

It’s a nicely statistically correlated risk factor for weight related health issues. But there is plenty that it doesn’t capture, as others have said, such as frame size or muscle.