birth control pills

Options
so most of you know that while on almost any form of birth control you gain weight. i got on birth control pills about 3 weeks ago, ive never been on birth control pills before . I want to know if the pills are going to get in the way of my weight loss, im scared that if i do my cardio and eat the calories im suppose to i still wont lose weight.... anyone have info?

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that I found zero weight gain with BC pills. But - I also don't think being on birth control is an excuse to gain weight. If you think you will gain, you've already defeated yourself. (Sorry, sometimes I can be blunt).

You can find conflicting research all over the net. Some say that the depo provera shot is the only form that makes you gain, some say that any type of birth control can inhibit your ability to form lean muscle, some say that the birth control we use now has such low hormone doses that there is no way they could actually cause weight gain.

If you are really worried about the effects of the pill on your body, talk to your doctor. They know best. All of our bodies are different.

Good luck, keep up the good work :)
  • g_warne
    Options
    I think weight gain depends on the person. I found I actually lost weight when I started on the pill and have never had any weight issues from it.
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What pill did you get put on? A lot are made from progesterone, which is the hormone in your monthly cycle that causes water retention and most birth control pills are made from progesterone. The best birth control pill you can be put on is Yasmin (ethinyloestradiol and drospirenone). The drospirenone part of it is similar to a diuretic and hence you don't retain as much water. It is also an anti-androgen as well, so you don't get any of those acne side effects or excessive hair growth/loss and infact is the best birth control pill for these conditions.
  • mendogirl
    Options
    i talked this over with my doc like two days ago. she said that birth control tricks your body into thinking its pregant which can result in an increased appetite. but there is no evidence that shows that the pills alone make you gain weight. if you exercise and eat right then they wont have any effect
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was on birth control pills for over a year and didn't experience any weight gain.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Not true. No research backs this up. I have been on them for 10 years and while I gain 3-4kg on holidays I always lose it again and weight the same I did in year 10 before I started on the pill.
    As i don't get my period i find I go to the gym much more than my friends who have there period and feel bloated or icky 4-5 days a month. So in a way it improves my fitness and helps weight loss.
    Don't use it as an excuse. That's very defeatist.
  • chicainthesd
    chicainthesd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not using it as an excuse, I've barely started eating and exercising for about 4 days and I don't know what to expect at the scale on Thursday, just wanted to hear from personal experience from women that have taken the pills. Thank you!
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not using it as an excuse, I've barely started eating and exercising for about 4 days and I don't know what to expect at the scale on Thursday, just wanted to hear from personal experience from women that have taken the pills. Thank you!

I think you just need to monitor your wait and how much water you could be retaining, if you notice drastic changes in weight I'd see your doctor - you might not even put weight on at all! Who knows. I've been on many different birth control pills and never really noticed any weight gain - but then again I was avoiding the scales for a long time!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control for two years now, and I don't think that I gained that much actual weight with it.. if I did gain anything it was more water weight.

I've also lost 25 pounds on B/C with no real hinderance except for the last week of the month.. during that time, I generally don't lose due to water retention from TOM.
  • cervenec
    Options
    When I switched BC a few months ago, I gained about 6 pounds in 3 weeks mostly in my tummy, also gaining about a cup size and a half. I'm not sure why this happened, but it's gone away completely with dieting. If the BC makes you put on weight, it's only temporary. You can diet/work it off.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If your insulin levels aren't an issue, you shouldn't have any problems on the pill - though it affects everyone differently. Most birth control pills increase insulin resistance (IR). While for most people who don't have a problem with IR, that is not a big deal. However, if you already have insulin issues, it may be something you want to avoid. With PCOS and severe insulin resistance, I personally couldn't take the pill without gaining large amounts of weight and feeling absolutely horrible.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    <--- Pharmacy Student

Birth Control CAN cause weight gain, there is plenty of clinical trials that prove this. It can also cause weight loss. Increased blood pressure. Blood clots if you smoke. There is a lot of possible side effects.

There is also several different kinds of birth control, some will cause weight gain for some, others weight loss. Its really hard to say. But you need to realize that the weight gain and weight loss that they are referring to is mainly if you are not changing any lifestyle habits, and the weight gain isnt anything extreme like 60 lbs. As long as you stick with trying to be healthy, BC really shouldnt get in the way
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    so most of you know that while on almost any form of birth control you gain weight. i got on birth control pills about 3 weeks ago, ive never been on birth control pills before . I want to know if the pills are going to get in the way of my weight loss, im scared that if i do my cardio and eat the calories im suppose to i still wont lose weight.... anyone have info?

I never gained weight due to birth control.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    <--- Pharmacy Student

Birth Control CAN cause weight gain, there is plenty of clinical trials that prove this. It can also cause weight loss. Increased blood pressure. Blood clots if you smoke. There is a lot of possible side effects.

There is also several different kinds of birth control, some will cause weight gain for some, others weight loss. Its really hard to say. But you need to realize that the weight gain and weight loss that they are referring to is mainly if you are not changing any lifestyle habits, and the weight gain isnt anything extreme like 60 lbs. As long as you stick with trying to be healthy, BC really shouldnt get in the way

It can cause blood clots if you don't smoke, too.
  • chicainthesd
    chicainthesd Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! i guess ill just continue the daily excercise and eating the right calories, if i do that i should be fine.... before MFP i was eating fast food every day, i would eat over 5k, i gained 20lbs in 2 months :( but now i make my own food at home and i dont even starve... the pills are the least of my concern, i will lose weight :)