I'M crazy, I'm going to do a 5K

Options
i registered for my first 5K (end of October). I'm crazy.

Oh, question: does one bring stuff to/during a 5K? Do I bring water, backpack, etc? Or just...run?

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    They usually have water stations setup.

I did my first last week. I didn't take anything with me.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

Oh, question: does one bring stuff to/during a 5K? Do I bring water, backpack, etc? Or just...run?

does the website for the run have a faq's page?? it should have some recommendations on what to bring and what not to bring. wear work out clothes, and bring whatever you want if you are going to drive there and have easy access to the car. most races have a water station and some food at the finish line though.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options

Just run. They'll have water. Make sure you have a good pair of shoes. Good luck!! You'll do great!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    haha you're not crazy! You really don't have to bring anything. Remember to be hydrated before the race! that means start the night before! They will have water for you there (more than likely). Make sure you have a good comftable outfit and comfortable shoes. Know your race pace, and do not be really agressive at the beginning of the race and start off super fast because this will make you die in the end of the race. Your mile splits should all be the same... aka a consistant (if possible gradually faster) pace... =] good luck!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    It depends. I did a large race in Chicago in August and they had a "gear check" station where you could check a bag. They also had a water station along the way (plus water fountains along the lakefront if you were willing to stop) and water at the finish. However, I also did a small one in my town and they had water stations but no gear check, so I had to leave all of my stuff in my car and made sure to wear running shorts with a key pocket.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    When I run I always have my cell phone with me. If it's just a 5K you won't need any food and they should have at least one water stop along the way. Other than that, just have fun!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have two awesome pairs of shoes with custom fitted insoles, so good there. I know there's food at the end and I guess water stations. And I'm good at hydrating. Thanks! I'll be really nervous leading up to it.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    Can I have my headphones/listen to music?
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You'll have to read the rules for the run... some let you have headphones, some don't. Some let you bring your dog, some don't.
    It's only 3.1 miles so even if you walk it you're done in less than an hour --- so don't freak yourself out with what to pack. I rarely bring anything but my phone and my RoadID and sometimes water.

Now, if you decide to do the Susan G Komen 3-Day next year -- then you have something to plan as walking 60 miles in 3 days requires a little more gear :)

Good luck!
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am participating in my first 5K in just under 2 weeks...I think I am crazy too! But I am looking forward to it...Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

yes lol
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K yesterday! Mine had water and snacks available before and one water station on the route. I took my own water bottle because I was pushing the stroller and didn't have to hold it. Finished in 39:20 and that was pushing 3yr old twins (26 lbs ea) and a 48 lb stroller. I was very pleased as this is the first 5K I've done in YEARS! You'll do great too!!
  • smileyk003
    smileyk003 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I completed my first 5kms in May this year - This is the advice from my personal experience, hope its helpful:

I found there was so many people and so much to look at (Not to mention an amazing atmosphere) that I was glad I didn't take my headphones - I wasn't bored like I normally am when I run on my own, I loved it!
    I did take my phone along -

I wore a singlet covered by a light long sleeve top to keep the early morning chill out that was still light enough to be round my waist comfortably when I warmed up.

Plenty of water was available at the stations but drank plenty before hand and afternoons to avoid feeling dehydrated

Best of luck, It really is a great feeling when you finish.
    Kylie
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Nope not crazy! I took a wasit pouch with my inhalers,money and train ticket. Had my armband on which had my music and runkeeper playing. Most of all have fun
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Haha yea, there should be some information available for you, but they're all pretty much the same. There will be water & Gatorade stations for you along the way. You can do it!
  • Jenmilleroz
    Options
    It is important to have goals to work towards I am going to be doing the same this summer friend me if you need some buddies to motivate you!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5k on the 18th! And I feel super mental for doing it but I can't wait
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 5K at the end of October as well, and I feel absolutely INSANE! However, I decided that I am going to finish no matter what...even if I crawl over the finish line a few hours after everyone has gone home. :laugh:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Nope, not crazy, running gets addictive.
    Or, maybe we're all crazy??
    Have a look at the FAQ's for your race - some don't allow headphones. I had mine during my recent (first!) race but didn't have any music, I just used them to listen to my pace feedback from Runkeeper every 5 minutes.
    Don't bring too much - just some ID and cash and keys if you need to. I bought a SPIbelt to hold my little bits and pieces. It's not perfect, but worked pretty well.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    There's little to no info on the website for the 5K. So I have no idea. I'm not worried about bringing too much, The Boy will be there cheering me on so he can hold things like car keys.

Thanks, everyone!