7lb gain in 4 day ready to give up now :(

Options
i have been steadly loosing weight for a few months was upto around 40lb total loss.

In the last 4 days i have gained 7lbs and while i am hoping its water weight its still going up. I am drinking about 3 litres of water over a day more if I am at the gym or cycling, I am taking lithium as I am bi-polar so have to watch my water level very carefully. But 7lbs in 4days is making me cry if it keeps going like this in a few weeks I'll be back to square one and might as well take the whole box of lithium.

Is there anything I can do its really no fair I have worked really hard to get the weight off its been so mentally difficult and now my body feels like its saying nah i prefer to be fat, shall i just give up ?

Replies

• ScottInTheOC
    ScottInTheOC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you been eating a foods high in salt? Sodium is my #1 enemy and I find that after having too much salt I can gain up to 4-7 lbs quick! I always try to drink all my water, but sometimes that's not enough to counter to sodium. You'll probably find that it's temporary and will be gone soon...
  • seebuff
    Options
    no, don't give up.
    Maybe someone else who has had this problem will come along and give you some advice as to what to do.
  • surfinbernard
    Options
    Oh no that must be really disheartening! Remember that if you 'give up' you're basically tallking about giving up on yourself, giving up on your health and those who care about you and starting to deliberately overeat again and the weight will pile back on faster than you can blink so please don't think about that, you have done so well to lose 40lb. I would look very carefully at what you are eating, could there be hidden calories? Portion size errors? If not and you are sure 100% that you are sticking to your limit I would get down the doctor's as there may be a health problem. Good luck and hugs!!
  • Visser1971
    Options
    I suggest you call or go see your doctor. I don't think we have enough information about your helth situation, and 7lbs in 4 days is a big red flag to me. For example, if my mother, who has congestive heart failure does this, we admit her into the hospital as it is a sign of either her liver or electrolytes having a major issue.
  • spongebob2509
    spongebob2509 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you for the support my diet has been put together by a health trainer at the gym and checked by my doctor cause of the lithium and they are both happy with it. I have no had any massive salt increases in the last week,

I am hoping its water but if it is how long will it take to go ? will I have to work it off like I would with 7lb of normal weight? my main worry is the contiuned increase I thought if it was water it should of stopped after 24 hours. I have a Docs appointment today but im guessing he will say dont worry its fine but for me a massive gain of 7lb is not fine its almost a quater of what i have lost :(
  • zowgati
    Options
    keep doing what has worked for you to get 40lbs off and weigh yourself in 2 weeks time. Weight varies day to day, water retention, muscle gain, fluid, life all impact on weight in the short term. Are you also using measurements?
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Water retention due to the lithium

water retention due to high sodium

Water retention due to hormones (not sure of your gender)

As the first on the list is a real possibility its would be wise to see your Dr, especially if you have any other symptoms...google lithium side effects and make your own mind up

You'd replied while I was replying so....water weight does not take as long to shift as "fat" weight does....one good day of peeing and it could go but it all depends on the reason for the build up. I have a lung disorder and at times I puff up like crazy, I had to take a diuretic the one time and I p'd for England, Scotland and Wales.....11lbs in 1 day!!
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i have been steadly loosing weight for a few months was upto around 40lb total loss.

In the last 4 days i have gained 7lbs and while i am hoping its water weight its still going up. I am drinking about 3 litres of water over a day more if I am at the gym or cycling, I am taking lithium as I am bi-polar so have to watch my water level very carefully. But 7lbs in 4days is making me cry if it keeps going like this in a few weeks I'll be back to square one and might as well take the whole box of lithium.

Is there anything I can do its really no fair I have worked really hard to get the weight off its been so mentally difficult and now my body feels like its saying nah i prefer to be fat, shall i just give up ?

First of all - it is IMPOSSIBLE that you gained seven pounds of fat in four days, so it has to be water weight. I know that it's really hard, but you have to relax and tell yourself that weight fluctuations are normal. We retain water for a number of reasons - too much salt, that time of the month, illness, injury, and yes - EXERCISE.

Secondly, weight loss and weight maintenance is a JOURNEY. If you're going to be ready to throw in the towel because of one little obstacle, you're not going to make it.

Third - Are you doing the right things? Are you eating properly? Are you exercising? Are you drinking *enough* water? Are you taking a multi-vitamin?

If you are, then you are doing your part. You cannot control what your body does as a result, and there are times it is going to test you. Set your goals based on things you CAN control. "I kept my carbs under XXX amount." " I burned off XXX calories in exercise this week." "I drank 90 ounces of fluid today."

Then 'let go and let God.'
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i gained 4 pounds in one day.....then i went and got a massage and my massuse said that i had a TON of toxin crystals in my body and she could feel that i was full of water....so she did a "weight loss" massage to make you flush the water(and other things) out. I know not everyone can afford this, but its worth it if you can! and make sure they do a colon massage(they just rub your stomach to get the stuff moving) and if you can go to a reflexologist, they can feel in your feet or body what parts are irritated and help fix it. You've lost 40 pounds, its time to treat yourself to a nice massage!!!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    oh, also the whole 64 oz a day isn't really true....you are suppoesd to at least drink half of your weight in water oz....so lets say you weigh 200 pounds, you should be drinking at least 100 oz of water
  • vilasini
    Options
    dont give up also try your thyroid and see if that has any problem.... i had weight increase also becasue of disfunction of thyroid gland. but dont give up , does sound like some of the things others have said also if you havnt been to bathroom ... it can give a false weight gain... but after doing so well... dont give up...
  • srandle175
    Options
    If I drank half my weight in water my eyeballs would be floating. Can you please let me know where you got this info?
  • spongebob2509
    spongebob2509 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    thank you again for the support, I am not ready to give up yet maybe i was being over dramatic but this weight loss journey for me has been going on for the last 4 years and its only been the last few months its feels like I had cracked it and started to loose a good amount of weight and keep it off.

I know the lithium is going to be problematic but I have been on it for quite a while now and did think maybe it wasnt the problem since it hadnt been so far.

My thyroid was check about 3 months ago so i guess there is a possiblity it could be that if its a new problem.

My main question was with water weight will it go on for a few days or is water weight just a big boost over 24 hours ? I do feel like i could fill a swiming pool today sorry lol
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    http://liftforlife.com/content/bodybuilding-fitness-diet-health-articles/diet-articles/341-drinkwater

This is a water calculator

Think about it....why would someone who is, say my size, need only the amount of water someone half my size drinks.....the bigger you are the more water you need. half our bodies, if not more, is made out of water.....
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up! You have come so far and if you finally feel you are making progress, it will feel worse to stop now. I would suggest you don't weigh too often, I try to only weigh in once a week so that I don't get upset by the fluctuation in my weight. Just keep doing what you have been and get your doctor to check you out again, but I'm sure it's just water and will come off in it's own time. xx
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If I drank half my weight in water my eyeballs would be floating. Can you please let me know where you got this info?

Eventually your body gets used to getting enough water and that "floating" feeling goes away. Most people are NOT hydrated enough. The water calculator that the other woman posted is good. Keep in mind that we also need additional water for exercise, illness and injury on top of the water we need on a daily basis just to function.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Usually when I have a big unexplained gain like that, it takes about a week for me to drop all the excess weight, but then I will drop more than that quickly. So it might take two weeks to really see a loss, but it is two week's worth of loss. You can do all the "right" things, but our bodies just sometimes react a little differently. The worst thing you could do is give up, because then you will never see that loss. This just happened, where I gained about four pounds, lost it in about a week, then lost an additional two pounds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Weight like that doesn't appear out of nowhere. So have you been overeating too?
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    Please don't give up! I know it sucks to see that number go up, that's happened to me before, seems like no real reason for it at times. Just try to focus on how much it's gone down! You're doing great, don't quit now!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    would you give up for just 7 pounds or should you keep going for the sake of 33?