HEALTHY VERSION OF THE TACO BELL MEXICAN PIZZA

Options
csnealey
csnealey Posts: 251 Member
I FOUND THIS RECIPE ON DEVIN ALEXANDER'S SITE ON HEALTH.DISCOVERY.COM/. SHE IS THE ONE WHO HELPS TAKE DISHES THAT THE BIGGEST LOSER CONTESTANTS LIKE AND AND MAKE THEM HEALTHIER. I HAVE TRIED THIS AND IT IS SO DELICIOUS. MY WHOLE FAMILY LOVED IT.

"Fast Food Fix" Taco Bell Mexican Pizza

Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons Taco Bell Seasoning Mix (see below)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons water
2 ounces 96 percent lean ground beef (about 1/4 cup)
2 flour tortillas (7"), 98 percent fat-free
3 1/2 tablespoons canned fat-free refried beans
2 tablespoons mild picante sauce
1/4 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) finely shredded fat-free pepper jack cheese
1/2 ounce (about 2 1/2 tablespoons) finely shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1/2 ounce (about 1/4 cup) finely shredded low-fat yellow Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onion tops

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the seasoning mix, chili powder, paprika, and water. Stir until smooth. Set aside. Preheat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until drops of water sizzle when splashed on the pan. Crumble the beef into the pan. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir in the reserved seasoning mixture.

Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until no liquid remains. Remove from the heat. Cover to keep warm. Place the tortillas in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until just crisp and starting to brown. If air pockets form during baking, carefully pierce with a fork and press down to deflate.

Leave the tortillas on the baking sheet. Spread 1 tortilla evenly with the beans, leaving a bare 1/2-inch border. Evenly spoon the beef mixture over the beans. Top with the remaining tortilla. Spread evenly with picante sauce, leaving a bare 1/2-inch border.

Sprinkle on the cheeses in layers, first the jack cheese, then the mozzarella cheese, and last the Cheddar cheese. Top with the tomatoes and onions. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the cheeses melt. Cut into 4 wedges.

Makes 1 serving: 445 calories, 30 g protein, 67 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 2 g sat. fat, 9 g fiber Original Taco Bell Mexican Pizza: 550 calories, 21 g protein, 46 g carbohydrates, 31 g fat, 11 g sat. fat, 7 g fiber

Devin Says:
Do not attempt to substitute low-carb tortillas for the low-fat ones in this recipe. They will not crisp properly.

Take note of the specific order in which to add the cheeses. When using a fat-free cheese, it is always best to layer it below other cheeses with some fat or even under sauce. This strategy prevents the fat-free cheese from drying out, which it otherwise will tend to do. The resulting texture and feel will be more similar to that of full-fat cheese.

"Fast Food Fix" Taco Bell Seasoning Mix

Ingredients
1/2 teaspoon corn starch
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
pinch garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
pinch cumin

Mix the ingredients in a small bowl until they are well combined.

Makes 1-1/2 teaspoons, enough for 1-1/2 ounces of beef.

Replies

• csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I FOUND THIS RECIPE ON DEVIN ALEXANDER'S SITE ON HEALTH.DISCOVERY.COM/. SHE IS THE ONE WHO HELPS TAKE DISHES THAT THE BIGGEST LOSER CONTESTANTS LIKE AND AND MAKE THEM HEALTHIER. I HAVE TRIED THIS AND IT IS SO DELICIOUS. MY WHOLE FAMILY LOVED IT.

"Fast Food Fix" Taco Bell Mexican Pizza

Ingredients
    1 1/2 teaspoons Taco Bell Seasoning Mix (see below)
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    2 teaspoons water
    2 ounces 96 percent lean ground beef (about 1/4 cup)
    2 flour tortillas (7"), 98 percent fat-free
    3 1/2 tablespoons canned fat-free refried beans
    2 tablespoons mild picante sauce
    1/4 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) finely shredded fat-free pepper jack cheese
    1/2 ounce (about 2 1/2 tablespoons) finely shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
    1/2 ounce (about 1/4 cup) finely shredded low-fat yellow Cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
    1 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onion tops

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the seasoning mix, chili powder, paprika, and water. Stir until smooth. Set aside. Preheat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until drops of water sizzle when splashed on the pan. Crumble the beef into the pan. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until no longer pink. Stir in the reserved seasoning mixture.

Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until no liquid remains. Remove from the heat. Cover to keep warm. Place the tortillas in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until just crisp and starting to brown. If air pockets form during baking, carefully pierce with a fork and press down to deflate.

Leave the tortillas on the baking sheet. Spread 1 tortilla evenly with the beans, leaving a bare 1/2-inch border. Evenly spoon the beef mixture over the beans. Top with the remaining tortilla. Spread evenly with picante sauce, leaving a bare 1/2-inch border.

Sprinkle on the cheeses in layers, first the jack cheese, then the mozzarella cheese, and last the Cheddar cheese. Top with the tomatoes and onions. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the cheeses melt. Cut into 4 wedges.

Makes 1 serving: 445 calories, 30 g protein, 67 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 2 g sat. fat, 9 g fiber Original Taco Bell Mexican Pizza: 550 calories, 21 g protein, 46 g carbohydrates, 31 g fat, 11 g sat. fat, 7 g fiber

Devin Says:
    Do not attempt to substitute low-carb tortillas for the low-fat ones in this recipe. They will not crisp properly.

Take note of the specific order in which to add the cheeses. When using a fat-free cheese, it is always best to layer it below other cheeses with some fat or even under sauce. This strategy prevents the fat-free cheese from drying out, which it otherwise will tend to do. The resulting texture and feel will be more similar to that of full-fat cheese.

"Fast Food Fix" Taco Bell Seasoning Mix

Ingredients
    1/2 teaspoon corn starch
    1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
    1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
    pinch garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    pinch cumin

Mix the ingredients in a small bowl until they are well combined.

Makes 1-1/2 teaspoons, enough for 1-1/2 ounces of beef.
  • nibor
    nibor Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thank you for this recipe. I'm always looking for something different! :happy:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • lobita44
    lobita44 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! :smile:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Thank you for the recipe. I love Taco Bell's Mexican pizza. I'll definitely have to make this. :flowerforyou: