Need to loss 20lbs

Hi everyone
I’m 50
5’5”
I have a knee that causes me a lot of pain.
I can not do running any more 😂
I just ordered a Bowflex Velcro bike
Should be here bye April.
I’m looking for some support and encouragement to get me through this.
Any ideas of things to do and eating ideas would be great.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    The key to weight loss is calorie deficit. Find a way to take in fewer calories (than maintenance) on a consistent basis and you lose weight.

You can eat "regular" food and lose weight. But, because you want to reduce calories it's helpful to make a larger % of those calories filling calories.

Filling or satiating components are: protein, fiber, and fat. As you are logging your calorie intake, keep an eye on these numbers. If you are hungry 1. make sure your weekly weight loss goal is moderate and 2. tweak your meals as you go. You will find what works best for you.

My Fitness Pal gives you a goal before exercise, so yes you are expected to eat a portion of exercise calories back.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Make it as easy as possible. I have about 20 lbs to lose too. It's not much, in terms of how quickly you can safely get it off. But, if I want to maintain, then it isn't over when the 20 lbs is gone, right? I don't get to go back to mindless munching. So I set my goal for .5 lb/week, which is pretty close to maintenance. Yes, it's a slow loss. I can have pretty big fluctuations on the scale, so I'm not really going to see a drop for probably a few months, but since I have nothing but time, and I'm doing this past the 20 lb loss, it doesn't matter. I've got my activity level back up (serious drop since last March), and I'm back to logging my meals and snacks, so I know that if I do the work, I can trust that the weight will come off. I will absolutely admit that the first 10 weeks were hard just because I had committed mentally, but there is no dramatic physical change. But push that thought away, and keep going. It's been almost 12 weeks. I will weigh myself next week for a week straight and take an average. Then I'll wait another 12 weeks before weighing again. I put on 10 lbs in 10 months. It crept on without my realizing it. I'm going to creep it off without IT realizing it ;)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Have you looked for knee strengthening exercises to do while waiting for your bike? Is physical therapy appropriate for you?

Like @girlwithcurls2 , I have put the scale away for awhile to just focus on my healthier habits, and not the numbers bouncing up and down with each change to my daily schedule or hormone swings.
  • GeminiLady159
    GeminiLady159 Posts: 120 Member
    Honestly I’ve lost successfully with walking as my only exercise, in addition to staying at/near my calorie goal. Can you go for walks?
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    I'm trying to lose about 20lbs as well! I would suggest asking your doctor about strength exercises you can do to build up the muscles in your legs and knees that will help protect them from further damage before starting in on more cardio.
  • verdenlola
    verdenlola Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2021
    I agree with elsie_fair first step should be strengthening your knees maybe try searching youtube for the exercises, but try to adress those bad eathing habits at least a little bit or switch those snacks with something healthy. Try to have mostly healthy food in the house, that way when you have cravings you're going to have to settle for healthy or go to the store.
    There was this cook book I found online, a nutricionist wrote it, I tried some recepies and to be honest was amazed. It didn't taste healthy, but it was, after a week I had more energy then ever and everything was going amazing I lost 25lbs. I was so proud of myself. Then I had a relapse and threw it away, I was mad at myself for allowing it to happen. If I find it again I'll share it here.
    I'm still kind of new here so feel free to add me, I would love to exchange stories with you and maybe even a few tips and trick we learned over the years. :smiley:
  • LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    Swim, it will help with the knee. Even if you aren’t a great swimmer. The exercise component is nice, but it’s all discipline in the eating that makes the loss happen.