Healthiest Protein Drink out there?

Options
What is your opinion of the healthiest protein drink (less sugar, not a lot of additives and chemicals)? Thank you for your opinions.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Blueberries and yogurt. The chemical breakdown of blueberries is astonishing. Skip the blueberries if you want and eat yogurt.

wa5obddtm3ta.jpeg

https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/ingredients-of-an-all-natural-banana/
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oh....wait...I maybe did not clarify. I mean a prepared protein drink ..like Vega One or Premier protein. Something like that? Thank you!
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Blueberries and yogurt. The chemical breakdown of blueberries is astonishing. Skip the blueberries if you want and eat yogurt.

wa5obddtm3ta.jpeg

https://jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/ingredients-of-an-all-natural-banana/

This does sound good and I make this often!
  • sarah7591
    Options
    Blended chicken? 🐓 [/quo
    Oh I am not a meat eater but not sure I would want chicken in my drink!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    In my experience, most protein supplements don't have a whole lot, and often no added sugar. Mine has no added sugars and only 2g of naturally occurring sugar from a bit of cocoa powder. As far as other additives and whatnot...protein supplements are a highly processed food good and shelf stable...you're not really going to get around the "chemicals." Most of the additives are for flavor, texture, and preservation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I buy this and add my own sources of fat, carbs, and fiber:

https://smile.amazon.com/Biochem-Ultimate-protein-Natural-24-6-Ounce/dp/B0015QSU9Q/

Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The Vanilla option does have some sugar, and to me a rather overpowering amount of vanilla. Natural is lightly vanilla.)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I started using the Silk Ultra chocolate protein milk. It’s vegan and has 20g of protein and 190 calories per serving. It’s been helping me meet my protein goal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Blended chicken? 🐓 [/quo
    Oh I am not a meat eater but not sure I would want chicken in my drink!

Interesting response.

If you blend chicken pieces and vegetables and herbs/ spices and heat it up you have a nice protein drink.

Commonly called soup ;)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Oh....wait...I maybe did not clarify. I mean a prepared protein drink ..like Vega One or Premier protein. Something like that? Thank you!

I'm assuming you want this because you are otherwise a little short on protein?

It's going to depend on what you consider healthy. For example, what's the source of protein? Whey tends to have more protein without much else, whereas a plant-based one will usually have more cals per g of protein, but some will think plant-based must be better. Some plant-based ones are soy, and some people prefer to avoid soy. Many of them have limited additives (and most no or little sugar, IME), and so if you want just whey you can find that, or options that are mostly just pea powder or hemp powder. Some of the ones that advertise themselves as being super healthy (Vega One) have the most additives, but they are basically vitamins added, which is why the claim that long ingredient lists are inherently bad seems odd to me. Some add ground up greens, which I don't find harmful but I prefer to add greens myself or eat them at other meals, and worry that in some cases people think they can have some greens powder in lieu of actually eating veg.

You also (as people have pointed out) get protein, including in smoothie form, without using a powder, and some might consider that inherently healthier since the protein is from a wholer-food source, although I think that's kind of superstitious really. But for a while I was trying to avoid powders (I didn't like a lot of them) and would use lowfat greek yogurt in smoothies plus some nuts/seeds/nut butter (peanut powder isn't really unlike protein powder but would work in that it removes most of the fat). I also would sometimes use tofu or white beans instead of the yogurt.

Basically, read labels, make a decision about the protein source you prefer, and see what tastes good to you (when I use protein powder I tend to use the same one kshama mentioned, as I think it's reasonably tasty).