I can't stick to my calorie goal... anyone got any snack tip

Options
Hello everyone, I've been using mfp for 3 weeks and have been losing weight, but, I think out of 3 weeks I have stuck to my calorie goal twice! The goal is 1,200cals, but I normally eat about 1,500 and don't see how I'd be able to cut that down without being really hungry! Has anyone got any tips on what i can snack on (not just fruit and veg as I do that already) but something a bit more carby, but not high in calories and that I can keep in my hand bag all day and munch on in work! Cheers dudes!

Replies

• PBJunkie
    Options
    What food would you typically eat in a day?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, rice cakes! Baby carrots are awesome crunchy snacks.

You can check out my food diary for ideas if you'd like. [:
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make it a goal to exercise and burn a few more calories? If you were to burn 300 more, eating 1500 a day would be your goal :) As for snacks, I sometimes make my own trail mix using bran, a few pieces of dried fruit that I dice up, and some slivered almonds or chopped walnuts. The complex carbs and healthy fats in it help to tide me over if I snack on this between lunch and dinner, along with the fresh fruits and veggies that you already said you're taking in :) You might also try high-fiber tortillas with a tablespoon of natural nut butter, like peanut or almond, and reduced sugar jelly or some sliced up fruit (i LOVE mango with almond butter, sounds weird, but soo yummy).

I hope this helps :)
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you are consistently losing weight, then stick with what you are doing... Myfitnesspal's recommendations are just those... recommendations... if you have found yourself eating more, but not being hungry all the time and still losing weight, don't aim to eat less just so you can fall into the "guidelines"
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Cheese is a great, filling and healthy snack. You can pair it with cucumbers too! :smile:
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    MFP "guesses" your metabolism and activity levels, so it is just a guideline! If it's been working for you, maybe adjust your calorie goals so you're not guilty and in the red every day even though you're doing good. :-) 1200 is just a baseline to start at, everyone's different. Personally I find I can lose weight eating 1600 cals a day but I can only stomach 1200 anyways.
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I feel the need to eat carbs I eat the 100 calorie fiber one brownie or Quaker oatmeal (90 cal) granola bars or 100 cal pringle sticks, but I don't make it a daily habit...
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have taken to eating weetabix and banana twice a day. I find it usually sustains me quite well until late afternoon, 2 biscuits with milk and a small banana comes to 300 calories and it keeps you going almost till dinner time.
    Rice cakes are good to fill a hole, mini babybel light (only 40 calories and you can incorporate it into cooking instead of regular cheddar) nutri grain breakfast bars, Dairylea dunkers. These are all 130 calories or less. I also can't resist some grapes, only problem is if you eat too many the calories mount up. A 500g tub is 300 calories. If they are especially nice, I can't help myself eating the whole tub. :-)
    Hope some of this helps. x
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK, try a Graze box from www.graze.com. Here's a link to the thread with a load of discount codes etc:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/336830-graze-box

Otherwise...I tend to stick to healhy muchies like fruit and veg, or low calorie crisps like Quavers...depends on what you've allowed for in your daily food plan

Almost forgot, drinking water usually helps keep you topped up too :smile:
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    A handful of nuts (10-15) is pretty filling and doesn't add to too much! Fat free yogurt, hard-boiled egg, 1 slice of whole brad with lean turkey meat are great options too.
  • Charlie175
    Charlie175 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I usually have yogurt or fruit for a snack. Just recently tried Laughing cow cheese on whole wheat melba toast though, and its pretty good. I think I'd like to try it on a flavoured cracker though. .
  • Kashi has several bars that are excellent in taste and have helped me to reach my daily calorie goal.
  • keewalsh
    keewalsh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies! In reply to them..... I exercise quite a lot anyway, can't really add to that to get me more calories. And all the snack ideas are good. I think it is more mind over matter to be honest as something I wouldn't find very filling would keep someone going and not hungry for hours and hours. Think I need to get over the binge eating thing, sometimes I just can't help myself, especially when I am not happy with personal things unrelated to weight. Also, am a waitress so some shifts is a lot of running around making me more hungry! Thanks again for all the responses!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you are a waitress, you profile should be set on lightly active, even active (waitress is one of the example given for one of the activity levels, choose that one!). No wonder you're hungry! 1200 cals is just enough for sedentary peeps!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Is the 1200 calories for an active work like you have? For me I choose a sedentary lifestyle becuase I am in the office most days. Adn then I list all of my exercise. The extra exercise calories allows you to eat more than the base amount.
  • nickyninebob
    Options
    hi im nicky new to fitness pal i sometimes snack on haribo starmix it hasnt got as mant calories as a chocolate bar plus it feels like a treat good luck keep up the good work:smile:
  • Rockera_Pirata
    Options
    Hi! Why don't you snack about 20 raw almonds. It is a good source of protein and fills you up a little without taking too much calorie points away.
  • hipbonesthighgap
    Options
    Rice cakes!!!
    Water biscuits!!
    Amazing things :)

xx
  • daxxxx
    Options
    How about the new special k mini breaks ..they're only 99calories a pack. I hate special k cereal but these aren't half bad a little like crunchy nut cornflakes. x
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nature valley sweet and salty bar 160 calories
    Then they have all kinds of other bars more calories and less.