What's Keeping You from reaching Your Goal Weight

2»

Replies

• emzoe13
    emzoe13 Posts: 11 Member
    I’ve started this journey before. I lost 70lbs using MFP in 2018 and maintained about a 60lb loss. I was still about 15lbs above my goal weight though, and whenever I tried to lose those last lbs I would always end up in a terrible restrictive cycle of eating. I probably started those last 15lbs 3-4 times in two years but always ended up back. I recently had my first child and I gained 50lbs during the pregnancy (while a lot of it was fat, my son was over 9lbs and I had a lot of extra fluid which added to that). Now I’m 15lbs from my prepregnancy weight and 25 from my goal weight. But this time, since I’m breastfeeding I’m more or less forced to loose weight in a healthy manner which is great for me! I know that if I fall back into my old habits close to goal, I will impact my milk supply. So my problem is definitely internal and always strikes when I’m close to my goal.

So relatable! What is it about those last few pounds that's so difficult? In the beginning of February I reached my goal (not in lbs because I don't use a scale but in terms of how my clothes fit), and immediately I lost control of my calorie intake and have gained a bit back. I really want to get back to my goal and maintain it, but I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself to control my cravings especially at night. I know a lot of it has to do with psychological factors of the pandemic and feeling a bit stuck and bored in my life, but it's almost like when I'm this close, my brain decides that I have a liiiitle bit of wiggle to treat myself, but when I do treat myself I end up going way overboard and sabotage myself because of my all-or-nothing attitude towards food. Not sure how to overcome this yet but working on it!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    emzoe13 I agree! What is it about "getting to goal" weight and staying there!?
  • dragonwind67
    dragonwind67 Posts: 1 Member
    I started my health and fitness journey for the second time on March 8, 2020. At the time realized I had 4 risk factors that resulted in a poor outcome if I contracted covid. Have lost 73 pounds with 15 more to go. My body is telling me that I need a diet break and I will eat at maintenance for a week. This is the 3rd break that I have taken in a year and they always freak me out. I worry that I will continue to eat at higher calories after the break is over. Am off exercise until I see the doctor as I have injured myself so losing condition the longer I sit.
    My first serious diet was after I had my kidney/pancreas transplant in 2009. I had gained 75 pounds during 3 years of dialysis. Started walking and eating 1400 calories day. Eventually added 3 days of weights and went back to college in a different field. In 2010, I suffered a bowel obstruction and had surgery to remove part of the small intestine, scar tissue, repair leaking pancreas, left ovary and appendix. Restarted the diet and exercise and by 2011, had lost 93 pounds. Kept it off until I met my fiance in 2012. He was morbidly obese and enjoyed going to movies and dining out. Slowly gained most of the weight back over a 5 year period.
    My biggest obstacle is myself. I tend to have depression and low self esteem and am a bit of a perfectionist. Sometimes it is difficult to accept that my body looks the way it does or that I am not the most athletic person or that I make mistakes, too. Am currently going to counseling to work through these issues and grief since fiance died in December from Covid complications.

I am in stage 3 B Kidney disease. I am lucky at this point. my blood pressure, and other items were already under good control. But I am so confused about a kidney diet. I want to follow what is best while loosing weight. I am at 273.4 but am also five foot one. MY biggest obstacle is confusion about what to do that is right.

If anyone had kidney advise message me I am totally at a loss here.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    I’ve started this journey before. I lost 70lbs using MFP in 2018 and maintained about a 60lb loss. I was still about 15lbs above my goal weight though, and whenever I tried to lose those last lbs I would always end up in a terrible restrictive cycle of eating. I probably started those last 15lbs 3-4 times in two years but always ended up back. I recently had my first child and I gained 50lbs during the pregnancy (while a lot of it was fat, my son was over 9lbs and I had a lot of extra fluid which added to that). Now I’m 15lbs from my prepregnancy weight and 25 from my goal weight. But this time, since I’m breastfeeding I’m more or less forced to loose weight in a healthy manner which is great for me! I know that if I fall back into my old habits close to goal, I will impact my milk supply. So my problem is definitely internal and always strikes when I’m close to my goal.

I know I was a serial dieter for most of my life and what would happen would be when I got close to goal I would let things slip, like I would take days off from exercising, I would skip logging a few days, I would eyeball measure because basically I was close and had loss most of the weight think I had done the hard part and those last few pound would eventually come off and they didn't instead I would always gain back what I lost. I think this is what happens to most dieters when we get close to that all elusive goal. Finally after over 30 years of doing that and after my mom died without seeing me reach my goal weight. And she was my biggest supporter. I decided enough. And this year I did it in Feb but it took me over a year to lost those last 14 pounds. It's a fight a battle with yourself I know and it is never in the beginning its always when your so close. No my battle is keeping it off since Feb of this year. I fight everyday with cravings and have to force my self to log and do the right thing. And stay motivated.
    All I am saying is don't give up on your dream to lose the weight fight for it.
  • mpkpbk2015
    emzoe13 wrote: »

So relatable! What is it about those last few pounds that's so difficult? In the beginning of February I reached my goal (not in lbs because I don't use a scale but in terms of how my clothes fit), and immediately I lost control of my calorie intake and have gained a bit back. I really want to get back to my goal and maintain it, but I'm finding it difficult to motivate myself to control my cravings especially at night. I know a lot of it has to do with psychological factors of the pandemic and feeling a bit stuck and bored in my life, but it's almost like when I'm this close, my brain decides that I have a liiiitle bit of wiggle to treat myself, but when I do treat myself I end up going way overboard and sabotage myself because of my all-or-nothing attitude towards food. Not sure how to overcome this yet but working on it!

I can relate too, I sometimes think it's been harder to maintain than it was getting here. Mine is the fear of another failure. I reach my the goal the same time as you in Feb after trying since May of 2018. So now everyday is a battle a fight with myself to stay here.
  • mpkpbk2015
    ggeise14 wrote: »
    emzoe13 I agree! What is it about "getting to goal" weight and staying there!?

I think sometimes I think I tried so long and made it and maybe I am not worthy of this success. So I do everything I can to prove my self wrong so I can maintain. It's a daily battle to eat right, exercise, log in. Drink water stay busy not think about cravings. But as of right now for me there's no turning back.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I started my health and fitness journey for the second time on March 8, 2020. At the time realized I had 4 risk factors that resulted in a poor outcome if I contracted covid. Have lost 73 pounds with 15 more to go. My body is telling me that I need a diet break and I will eat at maintenance for a week. This is the 3rd break that I have taken in a year and they always freak me out. I worry that I will continue to eat at higher calories after the break is over. Am off exercise until I see the doctor as I have injured myself so losing condition the longer I sit.
    My first serious diet was after I had my kidney/pancreas transplant in 2009. I had gained 75 pounds during 3 years of dialysis. Started walking and eating 1400 calories day. Eventually added 3 days of weights and went back to college in a different field. In 2010, I suffered a bowel obstruction and had surgery to remove part of the small intestine, scar tissue, repair leaking pancreas, left ovary and appendix. Restarted the diet and exercise and by 2011, had lost 93 pounds. Kept it off until I met my fiance in 2012. He was morbidly obese and enjoyed going to movies and dining out. Slowly gained most of the weight back over a 5 year period.
    My biggest obstacle is myself. I tend to have depression and low self esteem and am a bit of a perfectionist. Sometimes it is difficult to accept that my body looks the way it does or that I am not the most athletic person or that I make mistakes, too. Am currently going to counseling to work through these issues and grief since fiance died in December from Covid complications.

I am in stage 3 B Kidney disease. I am lucky at this point. my blood pressure, and other items were already under good control. But I am so confused about a kidney diet. I want to follow what is best while loosing weight. I am at 273.4 but am also five foot one. MY biggest obstacle is confusion about what to do that is right.

If anyone had kidney advise message me I am totally at a loss here.

Do an actual post - and see what type of response you get. Do it under diet and nutrition no one will see it here.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    It's interesting you posted this, because I was cleaning out stuff and came across my old "diet and fitness scrapbooks" that I made in my early 20's (so about 20 years ago). I found something in them called the "Inner Diet Profile." It was an online test I took to determine what the biggest barriers were to me successfully losing and maintaining weight loss. Mind you, this was about 20 years ago that I took it. I'm at my 2nd goal weight now (after losing about 8 more pounds from my weight loss 8 years ago), and currently am trying to see if I could lose a few more for vanity reasons. If I don't, no big deal.

My biggest obstacles were my discomfort level (I had a "high degree" of discomfort with dieting/weight loss); inner control (Having doubts about my ability to succeed at weight control); and stress eating. Perfectionistic expectations was moderately high as well. WOW! I don't think I realized how accurate this was until I was able to be successful! This still held true even before my more recent (successful) attempt at losing about 8 pounds last year. For me to be successful, I had to do/think the following: Change my mindset to believing I was a person who could lose and maintain weight and control binges (inner control); be much more mindful of eating and if I was eating out of stress/anxiety, recognize it and fine other ways to cope; learning to accept that I might be hungry or even frustrated at times with losing weight loss and being okay with that (discomfort); and getting rid of the all-or-none thinking mentality I had with weight loss.

It'd be interesting to know if something like this is still around. Granted, when I took this I must've only semi-absorbed what it said at the time, because I don't even remember taking this test. I also clearly didn't learn too much from it at the time, but I guess it was my own experiences and self-awareness and acceptance that lead me to successful weight loss and maintenance.
  • mpkpbk2015
    It's interesting you posted this, because I was cleaning out stuff and came across my old "diet and fitness scrapbooks" that I made in my early 20's (so about 20 years ago). I found something in them called the "Inner Diet Profile." It was an online test I took to determine what the biggest barriers were to me successfully losing and maintaining weight loss. Mind you, this was about 20 years ago that I took it. I'm at my 2nd goal weight now (after losing about 8 more pounds from my weight loss 8 years ago), and currently am trying to see if I could lose a few more for vanity reasons. If I don't, no big deal.

My biggest obstacles were my discomfort level (I had a "high degree" of discomfort with dieting/weight loss); inner control (Having doubts about my ability to succeed at weight control); and stress eating. Perfectionistic expectations was moderately high as well. WOW! I don't think I realized how accurate this was until I was able to be successful! This still held true even before my more recent (successful) attempt at losing about 8 pounds last year. For me to be successful, I had to do/think the following: Change my mindset to believing I was a person who could lose and maintain weight and control binges (inner control); be much more mindful of eating and if I was eating out of stress/anxiety, recognize it and fine other ways to cope; learning to accept that I might be hungry or even frustrated at times with losing weight loss and being okay with that (discomfort); and getting rid of the all-or-none thinking mentality I had with weight loss.

It'd be interesting to know if something like this is still around. Granted, when I took this I must've only semi-absorbed what it said at the time, because I don't even remember taking this test. I also clearly didn't learn too much from it at the time, but I guess it was my own experiences and self-awareness and acceptance that lead me to successful weight loss and maintenance.

Guess what it is still around this is what I found -
    THE INNER DIET IS COMPRISED OF THREE PARTS:
    1. THE INNER DIET QUESTIONNAIRE,
    2. THE INNER DIET PERSONAL PROFILE AND
    3. THE INNER DIET ACTIVITY BOOK.

here's the link also -https://excelingnutrition.com/p/the-inner-diet