Bike maintenance 😔

2»

Replies

• sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    I was underinflating, my fault but at the time I was unfamiliar with slick tires having ridden mostly mountain/trail bikes. I assumed a little less air would make the ride more comfortable. Didn't realize what a pinch flat was, and was always positive I didn't run over glass or hit anything sharp. I have learned to do some actual research and speak to experts before investing time and money into any pursuit.

Oh the things I learned the hard way since I started cycling about 10 years ago could fill a stadium, and it's always changing. And then started doing centuries and longer, then I started racing, then I started doing CX, and then I started mountain biking and lately I've taken on gravel biking and every time there was so much more to learn. To your point I went from slick tires to CX and which are basically road tires with a bit of tread and I thought you must inflate to the same thing. Nope! That will definitely shake your fillings loose on a CX course.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    So, if you ride tubeless, should you carry an extra tire?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Most people who ride tubeless carry an extra tube. It's like putting a dollar bill between a tube and a cut in a tire, it isn't the best of all worlds, but it'll get you home.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    I was underinflating, my fault but at the time I was unfamiliar with slick tires having ridden mostly mountain/trail bikes. I assumed a little less air would make the ride more comfortable. Didn't realize what a pinch flat was, and was always positive I didn't run over glass or hit anything sharp. I have learned to do some actual research and speak to experts before investing time and money into any pursuit.

Oh the things I learned the hard way since I started cycling about 10 years ago could fill a stadium, and it's always changing. And then started doing centuries and longer, then I started racing, then I started doing CX, and then I started mountain biking and lately I've taken on gravel biking and every time there was so much more to learn. To your point I went from slick tires to CX and which are basically road tires with a bit of tread and I thought you must inflate to the same thing. Nope! That will definitely shake your fillings loose on a CX course.

Never thought pinch flat was a thing on the road. I have punch through vertical lips but no flats. The last big one was a vertical cut in the asphalt over 3 inches deep at a culvert and road interface repair while I was descending at over 40 mph but probably hit at over 20 mph as I slammed on the brakes less than two-three cars length before hitting it. My front rim was slightly dented. The guy behind me had a bigger dent where the front rim was consider toast but we did not flat. Checked the wheels including the tire pressure after the ride and it was around 70 psi if memory serves. The only time I have gotten a pinch flat was when I over inflated my tire (>90 psi). I hit a manhole depression/recess head-on, ~1 inch vertical, without shifting my body weight. I have gone over that obstacle many times (over 50 at least). It was only time I did not stand up and let the bike bounce beneath me. I have gotten a number of pinch flats when my bike was on the trainer. All the flats occured when I wasn't using it. They still had OEM rim strips but once I switch over to Velox, it stopped. Based on my experience, technique and to some extent, equipment choice, plays a big factor.