Type 2 Diabetes - Tasty Food Ideas - Tips and Tricks - Your Thoughts ?

Options
ben_100
ben_100 Posts: 70 Member
edited February 2021 in Recipes
Hello
Recently was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes...How about you ? Looking to find New food ideas with low glycemic values and that are tasty - a forum to share some ideas some tips and tricks

by way of introduction - please see my post in the Support category of the message boards - or my profile..

Replies

• ben_100
    Options
    One tip I have is to roast vegetables - red peppers etc... you are going to get the sugar from these vegetable, and in the raw form it is not really sweet - but if you roast them the sugars take on a more condensed form - carmalizing I guess - so you can taste the sweetness - so if you are going to be somewhat penalized in your blood glucose for having the same sugar, might as well enjoy that sweet taste
  • ben_100
    Options
    Once you have roasted vegetables - again the red peppers are a good choice - you can de-seed and slice up and store in a nice homemade marinate - I use olive oil and garlic and black pepper - all in a Mason Jar and into the frige.
  • ben_100
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Roasted Garlic - bought a sleeve of garlic - followed the online instructions to roast - I used muffin tin, with the tops cut off and olive oil drizzled in to the bulbs - roast for 45 min or more - let cool peel and voila...
    I then mashed a few to make a garlic butter - can not use on bread - so add to things I am cooking ... actually have found you can smash roasted cloves and leave them fairly whole but now thinned out, and fry and it has a wonderful flavour - it is like a crumbled beef in texture,.. :o
  • ben_100
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Here is a bit of trick - I have a coffee maker that can be tempermental - and will not prime right away - and you have to run through the prime process - some times this can take 5 min - so in that time I started to run in place and measure my heart rate - now I do this every morning, and I go for 10 min even if that coffee machine primes faster then that - the running in place gets me some activity credits towards the 150 min/week, using a Garmin device - that then syncs with MFP .. so perhaps you have some task where you can squeeze in some cardio ? it is amazing how this adds up - frankly I doubt I would be able to obtain the 150 / wk without this trick - nwo I ahve made it 3 weeks in a row.. B)
  • ben_100
    Options
    Nice work..are you taking meds with the diagnosis... metformin?
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Tasty food depends on what you like to eat.

I cook less pasta now and will add more chicken and veg to a pasta bake instead. If having bolognese, I pad out my tagliatelle with courgetti instead and I pad out rice with grated cauliflower. If my meal calls for potatoes, I have more protein and veg and less potatoes than before (I've found that potato wedges make me feel like I have more on my plate than a solitary boiled potato!). I'm going to make a Shepherd's Pie in the week and will put a much thinner layer of mashed potatoes on top of the mince/veg mix than I would have done a few years ago.

I was diagnosed T2D almost exactly three years ago. I lost 3 stone (a bit more than 40lbs) and also eat less than 130g carbs a day. Between the two, that was enough to lower my blood sugar to a point that it's not even in the pre-diabetic number range.
  • ben_100
    Options
    Terrific ...like those ideas :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I use zint brand 100% cacao powder in everything. Along with a little vanilla or cinnamon it can turn almost anything into a low sugar chocolatey dessert. Steel cut oats with berries and cacao, Greek yogurt with almond butter, berries and cacao. Berries are also great, especially strawberries taste much sweeter than you would expect from the carb content. Espresso with cacao and vanilla and foamed milk, better than hot chocolate. Also a fan of adding a little extract to bump up the flavor - vanilla extract, peppermint extract, orange extract, hazelnut extract.

I personally hate stevia and most sugar substitutes so I just cold turkeyed all refined sugar, and found that as a bonus my taste buds have adjusted so natural sugars taste much sweeter.

• juliette0307
    juliette0307 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For carbs, if you cook pasta or rice, refrigerate it and then reheat it (in a sauce for example), it makes the carbs resistant so doesn't give you a spike. Still the same amount of carbs overall but less spike/crash so easier to stay in range. Same with bread: freeze it and toast it as you need.
  • ben_100
    Options
    I
    For carbs, if you cook pasta or rice, refrigerate it and then reheat it (in a sauce for example), it makes the carbs resistant so doesn't give you a spike. Still the same amount of carbs overall but less spike/crash so easier to stay in range. Same with bread: freeze it and toast it as you need.

I am worried as to carbs in Pasta and Rice, I even had these 'Ancient Recipe Rice ' from Costco and I found that any porridge, grains, rice hit a sharp glucose spike reaction, so I have been providing these to my dog ,,, I have a whole project of gluten free flours and such as I was on a kick trying them out,,, but again to afraid to return to any carb high foods...no matter if they are slow release .. may be once i lose much more weight and can add them back..
  • ben_100
    Options
    Costco - Pedon Yellow Lentil Spaghetti ..tasty if a bit a le dente
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

I've read this somewhere too. The same is also true for potatoes. It's not a great idea to store rice in the fridge for too long though.

I rarely eat bread so when I do buy some it goes in the freezer. I also cook my rice in bulk and freeze it in 100g portioned bags. It defrosts very quickly, with or without a microwave. I do sometimes boil some potatoes and cook more than i actually need / freeze the rest, but they're not great when defrosted - not too bad if you mash them and then freeze though. I haven't tried freezing pasta other than in a pasta bake.
  • ben_100
    Options

I've read this somewhere too. The same is also true for potatoes. It's not a great idea to store rice in the fridge for too long though.

I rarely eat bread so when I do buy some it goes in the freezer. I also cook my rice in bulk and freeze it in 100g portioned bags. It defrosts very quickly, with or without a microwave. I do sometimes boil some potatoes and cook more than i actually need / freeze the rest, but they're not great when defrosted - not too bad if you mash them and then freeze though. I haven't tried freezing pasta other than in a pasta bake.

Penne freezes very well - spread cooked/drained penne out on a cookie sheet till frozen, then bag it - I use to go from frozen penne from the freezer direct to the pan.

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,081 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2019 when I was admitted to the hospital with the flu/pneumonia spent 9 days there...sent home with a bunch of meds ....Fast forward to now ....I am off all diabetic meds and I am now considered pre-diabetic ...I eat keto so I am not much help in recipes ...Good luck though
  • wjohnc
    wjohnc Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Didn't know that. I've always bought bread and froze it, just to have. Didn't know I was doing myself a small favour. Thank you!