Do you eat when you are hungry?

Options
I have been sooooo hungry this morning!! For a while now , hunger seems to have been under control ( I mean generally. over the past few months) . My body now usually sends me the right signals and so I eat when I'm hungry. I get quite hungry after exercise for example. But I couldn't find a reason for feeling so hungry this morning. So I tried eating my apple ( which I have for my lunch later) but I still felt hungry. I had to try really hard not to eat my packed lunch before time! At least it's 12pm now so i can eat it. But am interested to know what experiences you all have regarding when you get hungry and whether you listen to your body or ignore it?! I don't want to go over my cals but i don't want to starve my body of fuel either!

Replies

• blondi28
    Options
    The best thing that works for me when I feel hungry for no reason is to have a large glass of water...(or two) or even a cup of coffee (jsut skim milk)...or just eat another little something besides the apple.....some days you just may be hungrier than others,,,it happens! Good luck!
    Amy
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If it's legitimate, stomach-growling hunger, of course I eat. If I just *want* to eat, then I try to drink water and/or get active until the craving passes. Some days I'm hungrier than other days, so I try to increase the protein and fiber on those days, and if I go over, I don't sweat it as long as I made healthy choices.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have this problem a lot too, even when I eat things that everyone says keep you full (that are high in fiber for instance) randomly my body will tell me im hungry like an hour later! Like everyone else, I try to drink some water, I've read that you can mistake thirst for hunger. If after another ten minutes you still feel hungry, I'd say go for it, personally I think it's better to eat a bit early than hold off then overeat because you're starving.
  • amysuespears
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day, so I usually don't get hungry. But, there are some rare occasions where I am hungry (as in stomach growling loudly) between meals. When that happens, I eat an extra snack (small one, such as a handful of almonds or a piece of string cheese). Allowing yourself to be hungry like that is not a good idea. A little extra snacking is sometimes good for you, especially when your body is asking for it.
  • Photoology
    Photoology Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone on the drinking more water as your body may not be hungry. Also, pack in more protein during each meal. This will help you stay full for a longer period of time. After working out, have protein right away. This will help your immediate need for food as well as help your muscles.
  • rockylucas
    rockylucas Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have to give a disclaimer here first, as I have been through eating disorder counseling, and most of what I do in my daily life I try to apply from what I learned there...

Our bodies are the most accurate "calorie counters" of all... we do not get fat by listening to our bodies and fueling them when they need fueled. Therefore we also do not lose fat or develop healthy, strong bodies by depriving them of fuel because we do not think they need it.

If you find that you are hungry, eat a little something extra, and/or eat some of your lunch early. Maybe do a little walking later to make up for it, or accept that for whatever reason your body needed more today, and calmly allow yourself to go over your "calorie limit."

Ultimately, listening to your body leads to health and wellness... while ignoring your body leads to the lifelong yo-yoing which almost all of us have been through, which led us to this website in the first place :)
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat plain almonds as a snack, they fill you up nicely and its great nibble snack at my desk :)
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think I've kind of prepared myself for the inevitability of hunger pangs, but that still doesn't mean I don't have to fight them off every once in a while. I can't give in to them as that's exactly what has got me to this size in the first place.

I've tried to structure my day to include snacks between breakfast, lunch & dinner and find mostly that if I do get hunger pangs it's later in the evening. Which reminds me, I need to buy more Options hot chocolate, which is my comfort in the evening when I crave sweet things or have hunger pangs.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think there are three things that help me fro snacking in the morning: taking a vitamin, drinking water, and having protein for breakfast. For protein I usually have the Morningstar "bacon".
  • agetlostgirl
    Options
    This problem is ushually caused in a huge drop of sugar as a result of fasting over night almost everyone gets it at one point or many points. I ushually get it about 3 times a month were I find myself STARVING in the morning I ushually eat a small breakfast and a glass of water with some coffee and that ushually gets my sugar back up and I feel fine. Most people also have this at other points in the day when they have been working and fasting and do not realize it and there sugar drops.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast??
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I eat porridge for breakfast usually, or a couple of pieces of toast with peanut butter. Sometiimes I have eggs and bacon at the weekend for a treat but exercise to make up for it!
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I try and eat every 2 hours to prevent me from getting hungry. I balance my calories out between these 2 hour mini meals. I make sure that they are high in protein too.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't live my life looking at a clock to see if its time to eat or not, so yes, I eat when I'm hungry.
  • Wilfred808
    Options
    if i have calories left then i do
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry, just like how I drink water when I'm thirsty.