Food Scale

Options
I have never used a food scale. From what I have read it seems like a really great tool for accuracy. What are your recommendations for purchasing a food scale? I want to get a good value for my money but want to invest in something that will last.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You have already put too much thought into this. Stop by Target or go on Amazon and glance at the reviews to make sure that it doesn't die after a week. There just isn't much difference in scales from brand to brand.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-ZK14-S-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen/dp/B004164SRA/ref=sr_1_5_mod_primary_new?dchild=1&keywords=ozeri+food+scale&qid=1615571840&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sr=8-5

I bought this one in 2016 and it's still going strong with heavy daily use. I believe I've changed the battery once. If the one I have dies I'll probably just get another one just like it.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of scales and for my money this one is the best at $18.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C465Y8U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1ennu4sx8kspy.jpg
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I have an Escali kitchen scale and it works great for what I need.

Pros:
    * Lightweight, easy to move around and store in my tiny kitchen
    * Comes in many colors (I got silver)
    * Inexpensive (it was like $30 when I got it)
    * Detects 1g increments with a quick read time
    * Measures g, kg, oz, and lbs:oz
    * Long timeout - the screen stays on for like 4 minutes, so it doesn't time out while I'm still chopping veggies or whatever
    * Will tare and go negative (i.e., if I weigh out 100g of food into a bowl, tare, and scoop out 50g to divide it evenly between two bowls, it will read -50g)
    * Big display, easy to read
    * Takes AA batteries

Cons:
    * ~11lb/~6kg weight limit - my pots and pans are heavy, so I can't just weigh my finished dishes right in their cooking vessels most of the time
    * Wide bowls/plates occasionally obscure the display
    * Relatively small surface area, the scale plate is about the size of a CD - some of my bowls are a little unstable on the surface, although I have definitely seen worse examples
    * Does not measure in tenths of a pound, only pounds and ounces; I usually work in grams for this reason, but sometimes I need to convert and it's more math than I want to do in a day

So yeah, it's not 100% perfect but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    We've had our OXO food scale for years...like I don't even know how many because my wife has used it for baking long before we ever started weighing out servings of things. I want to say it was $10 or $15 or something.
  • Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

INEVIFIT Digital Kitchen Scale, Highly Accurate Multifunction Food Scale 13 lbs 6kgs Max, Clean Modern Black with Premium Stainless Steel Finish. Includes Batteries
    Brand: INEVIFIT
    4.8 out of 5 stars 7,453 ratings | 111 answered questions
    Amazon's
    Choice
    for Digital Kitchen Scales by INEVIFIT
  • Davis1818
    Davis1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree...the tare function has been invaluable. I didn't even know about it when I bought my above scale but fortunately it has it. Love the scale I listed above.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i have a digital one from costco. Its a large surface that fits pots, pans, big mixing bowls etc. Tare button is a must. Its a taylor brand. As long as you get a digital one with a tare feature you will be set
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple (one was really old when I started using it for weight loss, and it failed, but NBD given age). Others have mentioned the useful features you'd want.

One thing I didn't see mentioned explicitly: Think about whether battery type matters to you. My first one took some obscure watch-type battery, so if it gave out, that usually required a trip to the store. The current one uses AA batteries, which I almost always have around for other things. They don't fail often, but it's so much handier that replacements are right here and ready to go.

Some people have mentioned that there are USB-chargeable ones now, too.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,416 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter which one you chose. Battery type might be a consideration (there's a big brand selling scales here that need batteries that are not really available!). A tar function and weighing in grams. That's all.

What pretty much all scales have in common is that they need an even, solid surface (clean the feet every now and then), and based on observations, having a phone right next to the scale with mess with it for some reason.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    its not a car. just a food scale. not too much thought is needed.

for me, an easy to read display when a plate is on it, measure in grams and ounces/pounds, tare. Also easy to clean

read reviews to make sure it doesn't die quickly.

that's about it.
  • ZNnerissa
    ZNnerissa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This has been really helpful. I had not thought of battery type as well as the tare feature. Weight limit too. Off to Amazon.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Tare function essential. Wished I’d bought one that could cope with heavier weights though .... pots & pans
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention negative weights being important? It is.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    And one that can cope with hot pans... mine can't...
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I ve heard that weight watchers brand is good digital scale
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0811RX62R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty excited...this will help with homemade meals a lot!