Salads

Options
Hi Everyone,

When it comes to having salad for lunch, which I do quite regularly - does it really matter if I don't know the exact weight of things like lettuce, cucumber, beetroot etc? I try to be more on the larger size in weight when entering on here....?

I get my salads from our company restaurant and tend you have a dessert spoon in size of most items and they don't have oils or Vinaigrette on them or anything...

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Replies

• BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I try to make my salads at home, where I have my electronic weighing scale.

I'd asmer, the lettuce, cucember and peppers, teh grams aren't as important as say if you put coldslaw with it though! xx
  • vavavoom83
    Options
    hi

i dont weigh my salads - I do the mixed salad on the list so a bit of variety - seems to work for me x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For very low calories items such as lettuce, cucmber, tomato, an estimate is fine. For anything in a creamy dressing or with mayo, it might make a bit more difference.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    on veggies it's not as important, the difference will be only a few calories for most veggies when you're estimating (I usually figure of a difference of about 30 calories when I'm estimating fresh raw untopped veggies). However, as soon as you start getting into proteins, croutons, nuts, seeds, dressings, dried fruit, etc the calories stack up quickly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Those things have so few calories that I don't worry about it. I follow Weight Watchers and non-starchy vegetables are 0 points, so I don't need to know how much they weight.

Lettuce is FULL of water. Two or three cups of it fresh would cook down to about a quarter cup or less, if that gives you an idea of how miniscule (sp?) it really is.

But if you're OCD and want to be perfect, then I guess it would matter. :-)
  • PhatChic1186
    Options
    Maybe you should try and make your salads at home..And if you dont have the time, try to at least bring your own dressing from home, so at least you know your dressing wont be too fatty or high in calories.
  • jilott
    Options
    Thanks everyone - really great to read your responses.

My salad always consists of Lettuce, cucumber, 1 slice of tomato, beetroot, sweetcorn (I measure this on tbsp), red cabbage, carrot, and a low fat mayo coleslaw (I ask the lady's behind the counter with the amount of mayo used hehe)

I don't like salad dressings and nuts etc....so thankfully other than the sweetcorn and coleslaw I don't think I need to be that stringent...

Thanks again all :-D